Reload this Page >

TV Land has replaced "All In The Family" with "Just Shoot Me"

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 02-12-08, 10:21 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

This is the dumbest programming change that they have ever done.
Old 02-12-08, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I kinda like JSM. Better than AITF anyway.
Old 02-12-08, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw that a while back and almost started an angry thread about it, but TV Land sold its soul so many years ago that I just can't care anymore. I already mourned its death when it morphed from the home of classic television heritage into a dumping ground for '80s sitcoms.

das
Old 02-12-08, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So like...where can one go to catch old eps of AITF, then?
Old 02-12-08, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really rather doubt Just Shoot Me will stick around too long. All in the Family is probably due for a break, too. I predict it will be gone one year and then back on Nick at Nite perhaps.

The only thing I'm all that upset at TV Land about is that they omitted the outstanding Slow Donnie episode of JSM from their introductory marathon. I just don't get leaving out the best episode by a wide margin.
Old 02-12-08, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

JSM doesn't fall anywhere into being a classic.
Old 02-13-08, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They are just giving All In The Family a break. They do that after awhile but it does become a pain in the butt when you get use to watching a show at a certain time and they take it off the channel or move it. I think NickAtNite ought to show all the 80s & 90s shows and TVLand show all the 50s-70s shows.
It used to be good to tune in and see these following old shows for example:
Dennis the Menace
Andy Griffith Show
Beverly Hillbillies
The Donna Reed Show
Car 54 Where Are You
Gilligan's Island
I Dream of Jeannie
The Dick Van Dyke Show
Bewitched
The Mary Tyler Moore Show
The Lucy Show
WKRP
Hogan's Heroes
Get Smart
F TROOP
Green Acres
Peticoat Junction
Taxi
My Three Sons
Mr. Ed
Welcome Back Kotter
Dobie Gillis
Leave it to Beaver

I know a few of these still air on there but sometimes you forget with all the other crap they show. Give us a channel with nothing but old shows like TVLand used to be again.
Extreme Home Makeover on TVLand...please stop.
Old 02-13-08, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
When I saw The Breakfast Club being shown in TV Land, I knew then that the channel had officially jumped the shark. And it's the only place that you can see something that has jumped the shark, showing a man REALLY jumping the shark.
Old 02-13-08, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
I noticed that last week. It made me mad as heck. I had a season pass of All in the Family on my TiVo.
Old 02-13-08, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My local ABC affiliate just added Retro-Television Network to one of their digital subchannels.

With TVLand morphing into something completely different, RTN fills that classic TV void.
Old 02-13-08, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PacMan2006
So like...where can one go to catch old eps of AITF, then?

1978?
Old 02-13-08, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
That's pathetically sad.
Old 02-13-08, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like Just Shoot Me well enough and AITF needs a break. Besides, I agree with some others that it wont be on terribly long. They only have about 150 episodes (and from what I recall in syndication on local channels they pretty much skip most of the final season) so they'll probably run it through 3 complete cycles and retire it. I mean AITF is a classic, but heck, haven't you seen each of them over half a dozen times? I feel the sort of the same way about M*A*S*H.
Old 02-13-08, 08:22 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
All in the Family was before my time, never seen. Just Shoot Me has some funny bits with David Spade, and some nice eye candy with the various models and such.
Old 02-13-08, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
I like Just Shoot Me. It's weird that it's already on TV Land though.

That said, the dumbest scheduling change was when they got rid of Get Smart, can't recall what they replaced it with, but getting rid of it, period, sucked way worse.
Old 02-13-08, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
I guess as long as they keep showing The Beverly Hillbillies and Sanford And Son, I am good.
Old 02-13-08, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just Shoot Me is actually pretty good... not All in the Family good but All In the Family needs a big break...
Old 02-13-08, 09:01 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

TV Land should just follow the example of MTV (never thought I'd say that in any context) and HBO and have the multiple channel setup. You could have a 50s/60s TV Land, a 70s TV Land, an 80s TV Land, etc.
Old 02-13-08, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DRG
TV Land should just follow the example of MTV (never thought I'd say that in any context) and HBO and have the multiple channel setup. You could have a 50s/60s TV Land, a 70s TV Land, an 80s TV Land, etc.
Those multiple channels aren't free to them (and not every provider will automatically pick them up). In addition to paying to broadcast and program the additional channels, they would also need to get additional advertising for each. HBO can get away with it because people PAY to get the service. MTV - well that is another beast altogether. And not all providers show all incarnations of MTV either...
Old 02-13-08, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
That's basically what TV Land already is. It seems everytime a network spins off a retro version it eventually switches to more modern programming. I think the old stuff can't draw the audience for the channels to make money. Most are probably free to the cable/satellite providers bundled with the other channels, no money there. Sci-Fi was spun off USA to show old 50s-70s stuff.Nix. VH-1 was spun off MTV to concentrate on videos so MTV could show crap. Nix. TBS spun off TNT to show the classic movies, then TNT spun off TCM(the last remaining oldies channel) so TNT could go modern. TNT spun off cartoon network to show classic Hanna-Barbera library, then spun off Boomerang to make CN modern. Don't get Boomerang, still classic? Nick-At-Night spun off TV Land so it could go modern and will probably become more current as time goes by. AMC became TBS. That's life in the 21st century.
I wonder if Turner Classic Movies is subsidized by Ted. Can't see how they can generate revenue being commercial free and most likely free to providers. Ted probably foots the bill and writes it off his taxes.
Old 02-13-08, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Since TV on DVD has pretty much released a lot of the shows that are in syndication currently, I see no need for these channels anymore.

Seinfeld (own it on DVD), M*A*S*H (own it on DVD), Sanford & Son (own it on DVD), Frasier (own it on DVD), All in the Family (I've always found The Jefferson's and Sanford & Son funnier) and Family Guy (hate) are the only shows that seem to be aired in syndication these days. Then you get the rest of the syndicated shows you've seen a million times as well.

JSM might not be All in the Family, but at least it's a change. We've seen JSM in syndication before, however. It would've been nice if we got something like The Larry Sanders Show in syndication.
Old 02-13-08, 11:20 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman241
Since TV on DVD has pretty much released a lot of the shows that are in syndication currently, I see no need for these channels anymore.
Without them, how are new audiences going to discover the show? Most people don't go out and buy season sets of 30 year old shows they've never seen.
Old 02-13-08, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Groucho
Without them, how are new audiences going to discover the show? Most people don't go out and buy season sets of 30 year old shows they've never seen.

Thank you. A lot of people (like me) are essentially casual viewers - they like the shows and stay on it when they flip to it, but are not exactly die-hard enough to go out of their way to buy season sets. \
Old 02-13-08, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Thank you. A lot of people (like me) are essentially casual viewers - they like the shows and stay on it when they flip to it, but are not exactly die-hard enough to go out of their way to buy season sets.
Or simply can't afford to plunk down $30+ for season sets. Plus there are times when I just want to turn on the TV and watch something and not have to dig out a box set, get a disc out and load up the player.

Airing Just Shoot Me on TVLand is ridiculous (it's barely 10 years old). But airing Extreme Makeover on TVLand is downright incomprehensible. How can a show that's still airing new episodes in primetime be considered a TV Classic?

I'm also not a big fan of TVLand's new "block 'o shows" lineup, where they air 4 back-to-back episodes of one particular show, instead of 4 episodes of 4 different shows. It's OK if the block is of a show I like (Beverly Hillbillies, M*A*S*H), but when there's a block of a show I can't stand (Designing Women... shudder) then they lose me as a viewer that night. Pick a lineup and stay with it throughout the week.

I'm also mystified as to why they thought "MovieLand" on Friday nights was a good idea. If I want to see heavily edited 80s movies I'll go watch AMC (although lately AMC is airing heavily edited 90s & 00s movies).

And the less said about TVLand's "original programming" the better. If I see one more commercial for "High School Reunion" I'm going to take my own life.
Old 02-13-08, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Don't get me started about Movieland.

I actually like the blocks, although I curse them for it once I get sucked in and can't turn the channel or turn off the tv.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.