TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lipstick Jungle---Series Premiere---"Pilot"---2/7/08

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-08, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Lipstick Jungle---Series Premiere---"Pilot"---2/7/08

Photobucket

The 1st of 7 episodes. I'm giving this a try only because I like Kim Raver. Don't really care for Lindsay Price and Brooke Shields.

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

Debut: Three powerful New York women navigate the business world, friendship and romance in this series based on "Sex and the City" scribe Candace Bushnell's book of the same name. First up: Film exec Wendy (Brooke Shields) tries to land a big deal while also working to get her son into an exclusive school. Meanwhile, Nico (Kim Raver) contemplates an affair, and Victory (Lindsay Price) struggles to save her business after her fashion show flops.
Old 02-07-08, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
At least the women are more attractive in this one than the clone over on ABC.
Old 02-07-08, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
I agree with you there.
Old 02-07-08, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw the pilot at the end of last summer and to be perfectly honest - it was impossible not to fall in love with this series.

By the end my friend and I were devising plans to break into NBC studios to steal the dailies for future episodes because we really wanted to know what happens next.

And its MUCH better than Cashmere (which is surprising a very watchable show in its own right).
Old 02-07-08, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
I'm actually really enjoying Cashmere Mafia so I hope this "clone" can live up to the one I'm already watching.
Old 02-07-08, 10:15 PM

Awful, 6-7 deeply dramatic stories thrown at the audience at once before we even get an idea or introduction to the characters. It was depressing to watch. Cashmere Mafia is much better in my opinion, much more playful and fun, Lipstick was painful.
Old 02-08-08, 12:12 AM

Wow!!!

There are soooooo many differences between this pilot and the original one from last summer. Almost all of the cast, except the 3 leaders, were recasted and the characters were all changed. Kids were added/subtracted, and so were several smaller storylines (the ones that made the serious 'fun')...

I don't know if I like this new version...
Old 02-08-08, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought this show was kind of a downer. Cashmere Mafia is much more fun.

Out of three women, they had to give 2 of them marriage problems? It was kind of depressing.

I kept wondering where I knew the third woman from (the single one). I had to look her up at IMDB to remember it was Pepper Dennis. I actually loved that show.
Old 02-08-08, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Are these two shows R-rated clones of "Sex?"
Old 02-08-08, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

More like PG-13.

Although this week's episode of Cashmere Mafia actually featured a cunnilingus joke.
Old 02-08-08, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
That was terrible. Seriously, that really really sucked.
Old 02-08-08, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Only way I'm watching either show is if there is a cross-over where the chicks get it on with each other.
Old 02-08-08, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Andrew McCarthy?
Is he supposed to be like "Mr Big" on City? ::
How long is that flight from Japan to NYC? Seems like she got there in 30 min.
Old 02-08-08, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Only way I'm watching either show is if there is a cross-over where the chicks get it on with each other.
Cashmere Mafia already has a lesbian sub-plot. One of the 4 chicks is dating another chick. That twist alone makes it the better show.
Old 02-08-08, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Cashmere Mafia already has a lesbian sub-plot. One of the 4 chicks is dating another chick. That twist alone makes it the better show.
Yeah, I did catch some of that when my wife started watching the show. But she has given up on it since, so I don't know how that story is coming along.
Old 02-08-08, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I did catch some of that when my wife started watching the show. But she has given up on it since, so I don't know how that story is coming along.
The big thing that happened was it turns out the new lesbian girlfriend is 3 months pregnant. She underwent invitro before they met (she had been trying with her former girlfriend and decided to give it one last go.) Meanwhile Caitlin (the new lesbian) meets a guy and has sex with him. Which led to a funny exchange when she next saw her friends: "I cheated with a man and my girlfriend is pregnant."
Old 02-08-08, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Alas, S&TC can't be duplicated, even with 2 attempts. Yeah - Andrew McCarthy as Mr. Big. The only thing that makes this show better is that the chicks are more attractive.

I see that Cashmere is getting discussion in this thread. Maybe each week should be a 2 for the price of 1 combination thread for these clone shows.
Old 02-08-08, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh god. If that is what you are looking for then you might be able to catch a new episode of the "L word."

It's no Sex and the City. The thing with this and Cashmere Mafia is the characters just aren't fun and they're people you really don't want to hang out with on a regular basis.

I bet you the Sex and the City Movie will be much better even with the girls in relationships now.
Old 02-09-08, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by critterdvd
There are soooooo many differences between this pilot and the original one from last summer. Almost all of the cast, except the 3 leaders, were recasted and the characters were all changed. Kids were added/subtracted, and so were several smaller storylines (the ones that made the serious 'fun')...

I don't know if I like this new version...
Well I know -- this version sucks mightily.

I totally agree with you -- the original pilot was brilliant and I was really looking forward to seeing more. But after seeing how they butchered the original pilot into mediocrity, I doubt I'll watch any further.

I can't believe that the producers allowed the NBC suited chimps to destroy their show.
Old 02-10-08, 06:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Had high hopes for this show, but it just didn't do it for me. I'll stick with Eli Stone instead..
Old 02-10-08, 07:23 PM

Location: Sacremende (by way of the worst place on Earth: cincinnati, ky)
This was pretty bad. At least Cashmere Mafia is kind of light and fun. I'm debating whether to give this a 2nd chance (as well as the equally terrible Eli Stone a 3rd chance) or just free up my Thursday 10pm slot until ER returns.

As has been said by others, at Andrew McCarthy as Mr. Big.