LOST -- "the Beginning Of the End" -- 01.31.2008

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-08, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"the Beginning Of the End"

Convinced that rescue is near, the survivors are uncertain whether to believe Charlie's final message warning them about their apparent rescuers.

Yeah, it's another LOST thread. This time, it's for the episode that's airing tonight. There's a "Can't Wait" thread around here somewhere...I think that's where you're supposed to put them..
Old 01-30-08, 11:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't wait!

:>)
Old 01-31-08, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Your spoilers. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Spoiler:
Episode 4.01: The Beginning of the End (Hurley-centric)
Airdate: January 31, 2008

* 01/23 - The premiere picks up on two plot threads left dangling by the finale: potential rescue by the frieghter crew and the fallout from the death of junkie rocker-turned-self-sacrificing hero Charlie (Dominic Monaghan). Monaghan may no longer be a series regular, but that doesn't mean you won't see him again. [...] (One [of the survivors who made it off the island with Jack and Kate] will be ID'd in the season premiere.) [...] But even before [the February 7 episode, the boat people will] prove divisive, pitting one group of Oceanic 815 survivors who will risk everything to get rescued against another, including Locke, who will do anything not to. As for Sun and Jin, their reactions will have everything to do with their baby. "Sawyer's a bit cautious about people coming to rescue them," [Josh] Holloway says. "He's come to the realization that there really is nothing back home for him. His life wasn't good. I don't think he'd know what to do back there." Source: TV Guide
* 01/23 - I have it on good authority that someone we thought was killed in the season finale will turn up very much alive in the Jan. 31 premiere. And this person may or may not be [Charlie, Naomi, Patchey, Mr. Friendly.] Source: Ask Ausiello @ TV Guide
* 01/19 - In the season premiere episode, "The Beginning of the End," feeling that their rescue is close at hand, the survivors don't know whether to believe Charlie's final message that the people claiming to liberate them are not who they seem to be. The band of friends, family, enemies and strangers must continue to work together against the cruel weather and harsh terrain if they want to stay alive. But as they have discovered during their 90-plus days on the island, danger and mystery loom behind every corner, and those they thought could be trusted may turn against them. Even heroes have secrets. "Lost" stars Naveen Andrews as Sayid, Henry Ian Cusick as Desmond, Emilie de Ravin as Claire, Michael Emerson as Ben, Matthew Fox as Jack, Jorge Garcia as Hurley, Josh Holloway as Sawyer, Daniel Dae Kim as Jin, Yunjin Kim as Sun, Evangeline Lilly as Kate, Elizabeth Mitchell as Juliet, Terry O'Quinn as Locke and Harold Perrineau as Michael. Guest starring are Mira Furlan as Danielle Rousseau, Sam Anderson as Bernard, L. Scott Caldwell as Rose, Tania Raymonde as Alex, Blake Bashoff as Karl, Marsha Thomason as Naomi, Michael Cudlitz as Mike Walton, Lance Reddick as Matthew Abbadon, Grisel Toledo as orderly, Steven Neumeier as Lewis, Billy Ray Gallion as Randy, Jeremy Davies as Daniel Faraday and John Terry as Christian Shephard. Source: ABC
* 01/02 - [The first image we will see is a giant pile of fruit.] And we think it's on the island, because why wouldn't there be a giant pile of fruit on the island? We hear a rumbling, maybe it's the helicopter, but no. There's a bang! and the fruit explodes. A car comes piling through the fruit. It's a car chase. WHAT?! A car chase on the island?!? No, it's a car chase, FROM THE FUTURE. Ok, it's a flash-forward, but yeah. We see the cops chasing a car and eventually the car spins out of control, crashing into a building or something. The cops tell the driver to get out of the car and it's... Hurley! Why the hell was he running? And he's alive! He made it off the island! Source: Lost Spoilers
* 12/26 - With only 48 original episodes left until the final episode airs in 2010, this season truly is the beginning of the end with the promise of rescue at hand. Jack has radioed a freighter stationed somewhere off the island. But when it's disclosed that Charlie's dying warning was that these people may not be who they say they are, the castaways are split as to what to do. Jack is convinced that the freighter people are there to rescue them, while Locke is not. A division occurs among the survivors. Who is on the freighter? What was the significance of the flash-forward showing Jack and Kate off the island at some point in the future? What will the consequences be when the characters once again encounter Michael, who seemingly escaped the island after murdering two of the survivors? These are some of the questions "Lost" will explore during the action-packed fourth season. The band of friends, family, enemies and strangers must continue to work together against the cruel weather and harsh terrain if they want to stay alive. But as they have discovered during their 90-plus days on the island, danger and mystery loom behind every corner, and those they thought could be trusted may turn against them. Even heroes have secrets. Source: ABC
* 12/26 - Juliet's on Team Jack, along with one other Lostie lady. Source: Kristin on E!Online
* 12/13 - In the beginning of season four, Sawyer is... on Team Locke! I can tell you that there are two teams and that the other leader won't surprise you... but Kate's allegiance will. As far as I know, Jin and Sun aren't playing for either team. Source: Kristin on E!Online
* 10/14 - Damon Lindelof reveals: I hereby promise you one heroic Hurley moment in the season four premiere! Source: Lost Magazine
* 09/16 - I've had permission [to reveal] and confirmation from a number of very good sources that the Season 4 premiere of Lost will feature multiple character flashbacks and/or flashforwards. Source: Lost Spoilers
* 09/11 - Lost was back at the historic YWCA on Richards Street in downtown Honolulu. Interior filming, so not many details. However, several fans spotted and took photos of Jorge Garcia, which would make sense, as the YWCA has played his mental institution several times. Also spotted, Lance Reddick, one of the new faces on the show. He was carrying a briefcase or suitcase, one that you'd think a doctor might carry. Source: The Transmission
* 08/24 - Jacobe reveals: I live in Kalihi, Hawaii. Yesterday, Lost was filming on N King Street by the Discount Store and Tamashiro Market, for those that live in Hawaii. I was able to spot Josh Halloway (Sawyer). So I'm assuming a Sawyer flashback. OR maybe a flash-forward? The scene involved a car being chased by two police cars, leading to the first car to jump a ramp and crash. Source: Lost Spoilers
* 08/22 - Sources confirm that The Wire's Lance Reddick has been cast in the recurring role of Arthur Stevens, the intimidating corporate recruiter.Source: The Ausiello Report
* 08/21 - Ken Leung [...] is joining the cast of Lost next season, sources confirm. The rumor is that Leung will be playing the recurring role of Russell ([may not be the character's real name]), a brilliant mathematician who is capable of great insights and has a tremendous knowledge across various scientific fields. He's expected to first turn up in the season premiere. Source: The Ausiello Report
* 08/15 - The only bit of info I can add about [the] role [of Arthur Stevens] is that the character will be between 40 and 60 years old. Source: SpoilerFix BuddyTV Spoilers Chat
* 08/13 - Also appearing in 401 and 402, with possibly more episodes down the line, is Arthur Stevens. He is a ruthless corporate recruiter, tall and thin, with a chilling presence. Source: secretagentman @ TWoP
* 08/05 - Here is a little more about Russell: He is said to be fascinated by magic and mystery even if he works in a world of science. The role is a recurring that may end up to be a series regular. Source: SpoilerFix.com
* 08/01 - First up is the recurring character of Russell, described as a brilliant mathematician in his late thirties who is "capable of great insights and has a tremendous knowledge across various scientific fields." Unfortunately, he tends to be too direct for his own good, and as a result, his personal relationships don't always add up. Russell is scheduled to turn up in Episode 1. Source: The Ausiello Report
* 08/01 - [A new character], possibly extending the rest of the season, and perhaps next season, [is] Russell, a brilliant mathematician in his late 30's. Name may change of course. Source: secretagentman @ TWoP

Last edited by DVD Josh; 01-31-08 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-31-08, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh SNAP! It wouldn't be a JJ Abrams show if every alliance/confidence didn't flip like a switch and completely change how you look at everything!
Old 01-31-08, 08:49 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Josh - Are your spoilers just about tonight's ep, or are there future episode/later in the season spoilers in there as well?

After watching the finale again last night, their added info really emphasized the whole idea of "mirror images" or mirror opposites that The Looking Glass book is about. Locke was miserable after he was shot and couldn't move, and wanted to kill himself, while back in the "real" world in the future, Jack was miserable and wanted to kill himself. There were a lot more examples that aren't popping to the front of my mind right now. Not sure what to make of it all the mirroring yet, but I think it will play a role somehow.

In the finale, Jack said he's tired of lying...about what? Apparently he and Kate (and who knows who else) have a big secret from the island that they feel can't be told. It goes without saying that shit's going to hit the fan on the island over these next few episodes, I'm just curious WTF Jack, Kate, and company can't tell the world about.

How long do you think it'll be until somebody (Jack or whoever else) makes it off the island? You wouldn't think they could string along any upcoming battle TOO awfully long, since we know at least Jack and Kate get off ok.
Old 01-31-08, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by aktick
In the finale, Jack said he's tired of lying...about what? Apparently he and Kate (and who knows who else) have a big secret from the island that they feel can't be told. It goes without saying that shit's going to hit the fan on the island over these next few episodes, I'm just curious WTF Jack, Kate, and company can't tell the world about.
I assume, and it's just my guess, that they've been telling the world that they were just stranded on a random deserted island, like Tom Hanks in Cast Away.

That would be a lie as they may not have revealed anything about what was really there at all.
Old 01-31-08, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think they'll get off the island pretty early in the season.
Old 01-31-08, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Josh - Are your spoilers just about tonight's ep, or are there future episode/later in the season spoilers in there as well?
You are probably ok, just general info, nothing specific.
Old 01-31-08, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by firteen88
I think they'll get off the island pretty early in the season.
I really doubt that. With each episode about 2 days of island time, with some overlap, you are looking at about two weeks. Since it's clear that the freighter crew has other purposes on the island, I think it's doubtful anyone leaves in the first eight.
Old 01-31-08, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
So...will the "flashforwards" continue to be flashforwards from the point we saw Jack/Kate at the airport?

Or will they be flashbacks of the flashforwards?
Old 01-31-08, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rogue588
So...will the "flashforwards" continue to be flashforwards from the point we saw Jack/Kate at the airport?

Flashbacks and flash forwards from the Island
Flashbacks and flash forwards from off the Island
Old 01-31-08, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I heard that there will be both flashbacks and flashforwards, and there wil be times that we won't know which it is.
Old 01-31-08, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I think I read in EW that there will be both FB and FF in the following seasons. My guess is that the last season will be in what we now see as the future, Jack wanting to go back to the island, or something like that.

Although watching the Blu ray for season 3 yesterday I got the idea from the creators that they are still thinking about that.
Old 01-31-08, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It's finally here eh?
Old 01-31-08, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Perhaps in order to leave the island they had to never reveal its location, thus leaving many of the survivors behind. That lie, and the mental anguish knowing you've doomed those left behind, could certainly drive someone mad.
Old 01-31-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Did anyone catch the newest mobisode "So It Begins."

Very Interesting!
Old 01-31-08, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm so excited about this. I've been counting down the hours...
Old 01-31-08, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I wonder how many people who usually DVR this and skip the commercials, will actually watch it live - This may be the first time I have seen a whole show with commercials in around 3 years!

Last edited by Doug Heffernan; 01-31-08 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-31-08, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Same here - about the commercials. I'm guessing it is really going to irritate me having to watch the ads but I have to see it Live. I don't want to wait an extra hour!
Old 01-31-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
As long as there are no episodes involving the great mystery of Jacks tattoo I'm on board for this season.
Old 01-31-08, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by starseed1981
As long as there are no episodes involving the great mystery of Jacks tattoo I'm on board for this truncated half-season-something-or-rather.
Fixed.
Old 01-31-08, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
So glad this show is finally back on, what's it been about 2 years since the last new ep aired?
Old 01-31-08, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
8 months
Old 01-31-08, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe it was said in a previous episode thread of LOST, but I caught an interesting tidbit from the commercials they have been playing over and over again as if we did not know this was going to be on tonight. Ben says the following: "Every single LIVING person will be killed on the island". In the commercial you clearly hear him emphasize the word living. Definitely seemed interesting to me as to the addition of the word since it is something you would think could be omitted and someone would understand that if they are going to be killed they must be alive. HMMMM
Old 01-31-08, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxflier
So glad this show is finally back on, what's it been about 2 years since the last new ep aired?
Yea, don't get too used to Lost. Before we know it we'll be waiting another year or so for new episodes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.