Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Idol--Week 2 Auditions--1/22-23

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-08, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
American Idol--Week 2 Auditions--1/22-23

Auditions once again continue this week. Looks like it's only 1 hour tonight.

San Diego, CA is tonight.
Old 01-22-08, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Feel the enthusiasm at DVDTalk for week 2 of auditions!!!

An hour a city is much better pacing for this. I didn't clock it, but it seemed they actually spent more time on the good singers than the bad. Though the last girl (the Irish girl with the tattoos) epitomizes the kind of singing I can't stand but hear all the time on AI (especially in the voting rounds). I'm talking about the singers who just seem to be concerned with cramming in as many vocal runs in as short a time possible, draining the songs of all their melody and emotion.
Old 01-22-08, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
FYI: David Archuleta won Star Search at the age of 12 in the young star (whatever it was called) category. It was a bit interesting to see them focus more on his partial vocal cord paralysis than his past accomplishments (plus it felt a bit disingenuous when he was making a big deal about going to Hollywood when he's been there for a nice stretch just 4 years ago).
Old 01-22-08, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The Fat Hippie guy made my skin crawl.

The dude with the slicked back hair into a ponytail, who was with his young son with the same hair, was very good. They looked ridiculous, but he can sing.
Old 01-22-08, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
The dude with the slicked back hair into a ponytail, who was with his young son with the same hair, was very good. They looked ridiculous, but he can sing.
I didn't really enjoy the dad's singing all that much, so I was surprised when Simon get him his stamp of approval.
Old 01-23-08, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That Marian Carey wanna be had a nice rack but terrible voice

The brunette sister was very pretty and had a nice voice

That Irish girl at the end with the tatoo I didn't remember her from season 5 but she had a pretty good voice. She had that Amy Lee from Evanscence gothic kind of look. I'm sure her boyfreind will be a hit in Los Angeles with his facial tattoos

The Australian guy singing Otis Redding

Last edited by shanester; 01-23-08 at 06:53 AM.
Old 01-23-08, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
I didn't really enjoy the dad's singing all that much, so I was surprised when Simon get him his stamp of approval.
Agreed he was mediocre at best. He'll probably be cut in L.A in the first batch

I always get a kick seeing all these people get really excited about their "yellow tickets" for HollYwood when 60% will be shipped right back home within 3 days of arriving
Old 01-23-08, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So Im pretty much checked out until they go to LA... These auditions just get worse and worse. And with the sisters, how could one be so hot and the other so not? Im thinking different daddies.
Old 01-23-08, 07:35 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
So is the tattooed chick from last night the one that had the record deal and had $7m spent on her?
Old 01-23-08, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
So is the tattooed chick from last night the one that had the record deal and had $7m spent on her?
If her name was Carly Hennessy, she'd be the one.
Old 01-23-08, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes that was her. Looks like she changed her last name when she got married.
Old 01-23-08, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really liked David Archuleta, such an infectious personality. I couldn't help but smile when he was on. Had a really good voice too. He has a myspace page. Check it out: http://www.myspace.com/davidarchuleta
Old 01-23-08, 11:51 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A couple of questions:

What was the point of all the people at Qualcomm Stadium? Do those 12,000 people go through some sort of pre-screening before they get sent to the audition? They kept showing Qualcomm, but it is 10-15 miles south of Rancho Bernardo where the auditions took place.

How do they narrow down all the people that get sent to Hollywood from the auditions? Is it just the 3 judges deciding until they get to the finalists?
Old 01-23-08, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think the thousands of people go through producers first. They decide the few dozen that go on to meet the 3 judges at a later date.
Old 01-23-08, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Wormwood
I really liked David Archuleta, such an infectious personality. I couldn't help but smile when he was on. Had a really good voice too. He has a myspace page. Check it out: http://www.myspace.com/davidarchuleta
The young girls and moms are gonna love him!

He's this year's Sanjaya.....except he can actually sing!

Let's just hope we don't get too many different hair styles from him
Old 01-23-08, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Anyone notice that Simon's shirt changed from white to grey on the 1st day of auditions? I thought the single father was very good. I also really liked the Aussie from LA. I have to agree that they focused more on the good than bad this episode.

Hopefully Charlottesville, SC will be entertaining.
Old 01-23-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
That last girl is such a fake. I am sure the audience will find out.

The girl had a 100k advance at the age of 17. There are professionals, who never really got a big time shot, and then there is Carly.
Old 01-23-08, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
I remember reading the article from last week, jeez, that was her? That's the ringer? She's not even top 24 material.
Old 01-23-08, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rabbit77
I remember reading the article from last week, jeez, that was her? That's the ringer? She's not even top 24 material.

There is a reason why their 2.2 million investment, only netted 376 albums sold.
Old 01-23-08, 02:20 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Carly Smithson isn't notable enough to have her own Wikipedia article yet, but the fiasco around her album warranted it an article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_High

It's an interesting read, and I think that it's a mistake to give somebody a second shot like this. Similar to SixWire in the band competition.
Old 01-23-08, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim
A couple of questions:

What was the point of all the people at Qualcomm Stadium? Do those 12,000 people go through some sort of pre-screening before they get sent to the audition? They kept showing Qualcomm, but it is 10-15 miles south of Rancho Bernardo where the auditions took place.

How do they narrow down all the people that get sent to Hollywood from the auditions? Is it just the 3 judges deciding until they get to the finalists?
The peope at Qualcomm literally get just seconds in front of a producer. Some are chosen based on talent, personality, etc. to then come back weeks later to perform for Randy, Paula and Simon. The celebrity judges are never at the mass auditions.
Old 01-23-08, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Carly Smithson isn't notable enough to have her own Wikipedia article yet, but the fiasco around her album warranted it an article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_High

It's an interesting read, and I think that it's a mistake to give somebody a second shot like this. Similar to SixWire in the band competition.
Really dissapointed in this, it seems to go against the spirit of the show.

I have to rethink about rooting for her now.

I like the dad and his mini-me son so far...
Old 01-23-08, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
There is a reason why their 2.2 million investment, only netted 376 albums sold.
Most major label albums fail. Very few break through unless they receive adequate radio airplay. It really is a crap-shoot.

I see nothing wrong with giving someone a chance to actually get exposed to find an audience. It's not like anyone had even heard that album for it to fail.

Most of the American Idols had some sort of CDs before going on Idol. I remember Kelly Clarkson even had some big recording deal in Hollywood that fell through and she had to move back to Texas.
Old 01-23-08, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is a much better article about the failed Carly Hennessy album:

Pop Singer Fails To Strike a Chord Despite the Millions Spent By MCA

Last edited by Jadzia; 01-23-08 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-23-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
The Fat Hippie guy made my skin crawl.

There is always one every year!

"Idol" Wannabe's Gun-Totin' Past
Posted Jan 23rd 2008 1:35PM by TMZ Staff

Perrie Cataldo -- a smooth-talking "AI" contestant who crooned his way to Hollywood last night -- once had a secret weapon up his sleeve ... literally!

TMZ has obtained an arrest record revealing that Cataldo carried a handgun into a bar in Glendale, Ariz. back in 2006, after being kicked out for fighting. According to the arresting officer, Cataldo was "concealing" the gun under his clothing, and was confronted by security and arrested.

Cataldo plead no contest to carrying a concealed weapon (a misdemeanor) and was fined $568.

Cataldo went to serious lengths on last night's show to explain to the judges that he'd turned his life around since then. He revealed his baby mama was killed for being "at the wrong place, at the wrong time, with the wrong people, doing the wrong thing."

FOX had no comment.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.