Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Most Haunted

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-08, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most Haunted

I believed in ghosts to some degree before this show.

Let me clarify how it ruined my life.

I watch this show and I loved it, I held my breath, got all excited, watched Yvette's hair change with each season of the show.
It strengthened my belief in something else out there, and I hesitated to look anything up on the internet lest I be proven a duped fool.

I blame the misplacing of my dynamic on Mr Derek "faker" Acorah.

Spoiler:
Acorah was challenged when he stated he was in contact with the spirits of fictional characters. In one case he became possessed by a fictitious character, Kreed kafer, (an anagram of 'Derek faker'). He also was "in touch" with the spirits of 'Rik Eedles' (an anagram of 'Derek lies'), and 'Ged Harken' ('hang Derek'). [3] [4]

Dr Ciarán O'Keeffe, Most Haunted's resident parapsychologist, says that these names were given to Acorah just before the cameras rolled, or mentioned in his earshot by other crew members before the shoot. The names were subsequently incorporated into Acorah's 'possession', shown in the programme, throwing doubt on the reliability of his claims.

Of course I didn't believe he got oh so conveniently possessed by spirits every damn episode he was in but ... geez. To be such a fake?
(I now have a massive newly acquired plush bear on my bed that I have named "Kafer" in homage to Derek's fakery)

... which led me to Youtube. And the behind the scenes footage of how the crew fake their happenings disheartened me.

So now I just watch it and pull the !@#$ out of it every Sunday afternoon.
And when I meet brits I ask them to say "the line" and they usually oblige.

"If there are any astral beings here, could you please knock twice??"

Soo. What does anyone else thing about this show?
Grains of truth? Hysteria bred among the gullible?
Old 01-20-08, 02:42 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
You bought a plush bear to put on your bed...?
Old 01-20-08, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
I watched this show last year and really didn't believe any of it. Just too convenient all the things that happened in each episode.

Personally, I prefer "Ghost Hunters" as that seems to be on the up and up (save for some manufactured drama in the team). I could be wrong but they seem to genuinely go into a place to debunk paranormal activity. Of course, this sometimes leads to not-so riveting television.

Now, I guess the old adage of a broke clock being right twice a day might apply to "MH", so they might sometimes actually catch paranormal activity...
Old 01-21-08, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't really believe what they say happens in this show. They always say something is haunted. I however also watch Ghost Hunters and I believe that show more than Most Haunted because they rarely ever say a place is actually haunted.
Old 01-22-08, 11:44 AM

Most Haunted was always over the top but Ghost Hunters has the opposite problem. They never find anything or they have 'personal experiences' that we don't see or hear on camera so the shows are boring. When they do find something however small, they hype it up. Example:

EVP as deciphered by Ghost Hunters crew: My name is John and I died here in 1847.
EVP as you hear it: glllrrbbon iiid mggglvn

Last edited by Strafe; 01-22-08 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-22-08, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Strafe
Most Haunted was always over the top but Ghost Hunters has the opposite problem. They never find anything or they have 'personal experiences' that we don't see or hear on camera so the shows are boring. When they do find something however small, they hype it up. Example:

EVP as deciphered by Ghost Hunters crew: My name is John and I died here in 1847.
EVP as you hear it: glllrrbbon iiid mggglvn
I have to disagree with you on the Ghost Hunters not finding anything. I have seen episodes where I saw things that they saw and heard things on the EVP that they heard.

I also enjoy the show Paranomal State which is on A&E. The past few episodes I watched were very interesting.

Last edited by acubfaninmd; 01-22-08 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-23-08, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Who's to say that any noises are not from other crew members or someone off camera? I don't trust these shows.