Reload this Page >

TNT HD & TBS HD - Waste of Time.

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-08-08, 10:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TNT HD and TBS HD are pretty useless. It's unforunate that space is being wasted on two channels that, as far as I can tell, hardly ever show anything in HD.

Every time I look at either of these channels, they take whatever program is on, show the 1.33:1 version and simply stretch out the sides to fill in the 1.78:1 screen. My TV has a setting like this for SD programing - The middle is the correct proportion, but the sides are distorted. I've never used it. It just looks too goofy to me.

However, these two channels seem to do this with everything - TV shows and movies.

Just tonight, I noticed that THE OFFICE was on TBS HD. Now I know this show was shot and originally broadcast in HD, so there is absolutely no reason why it shouldn't be shown that way on TBS HD. Ha! But no. They actually took the 1.33:1 version, with the black bars on the top and bottom, and stretched the sides of it to fill in the 1.78:1 screen.

Lame! I'm talking Night Court in the 5th season LAAAAAME!!!!

I've taken them off my line-up. Might as well watch the SD version of the channels if there's ever anything I want to see on them. It just cheeses me off that these are two 'HD' channels that could be replaced by a couple of REAL HD channels, like SCI-FI HD and FX HD......
Old 01-08-08, 10:44 PM
Premium Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
NBA on TNT
Old 01-08-08, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 161 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by The Cow
NBA on TNT
There's programming on TNT besides the NBA?
Old 01-08-08, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've been struggling with the decision to convert my Comcast basic analog cable plan to the Digital Starter plan (where you get a set top box, pay another $6.95 and get their HD channel lineup, sans the local stations in HD and the premium channels in HD), and was wondering if these HD channels really offer me much.

I figure I'd get something out of the Discovery HD, ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD channels, and maybe also from TNT HD and TBS HD, but maybe not. The other HD channels: CNN, USA, HD Theater, FSN South, Versus/Golf, MHD, History Channel, Food Network. I could see myself watching a bit of USA, History, FSN South as well.

So, I continue to debate with myself as to whether it's worth the extra $6.95/month...
Old 01-09-08, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I have TNT HD and they show a fair bit in High Definition, -shows like "Without A Trace", "Cold Case", and I'm guessing they only show the HD seasons of "ER" and "Law and Order". They show their original series "The Closer" and "Saving Grace" in HD. "Angel" and "Charmed", however, are shown in "Fake-D".

TNT's movies are a mixed bag. Some movies are shown in HD, though most movies in the 2:35:1 ratio are cropped to 1:78:1; and some are not.

Our Charter Cable added History Channel HD and A and E HD and both are pretty horrible, with little or no HD content. They're both terribly inconsistent, too. They'll show an episode of a series in HD, and the very next episode with be "expanded" to fit the frame.
Old 01-09-08, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
I love the Food Network in HD.
Old 01-09-08, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I despise the 1.33:1 TNT/TBS stretch. I really wish they would stop doing this.
Old 01-09-08, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nth Power
I despise the 1.33:1 TNT/TBS stretch. I really wish they would stop doing this.
Me too! It looks terrible, and there's no way to correct it on my end since it's not uniformly stretched...
Old 01-09-08, 05:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
TNT has gotten MUCH better since its debut, as it hardly ever shows stuff in stretch-o-vision anymore. TBS, however, does suck.
Old 01-09-08, 05:53 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
It's funny... all of these channels when the first launch in HD usually just broadcast 1:33:1 crap ala stretchovision. Then, when they get inundated with complaints, they usually quickly change over to OAR. Not TBS and TNT tho! Nope! they sure are sticking to their guns! Joe-6-Pack Americana must LOVE the way it looks. sigh.
Old 01-09-08, 06:09 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
TBS-HD - a joke. Don't watch. TNT-HD, however, we like.
Old 01-09-08, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness
Just tonight, I noticed that THE OFFICE was on TBS HD. Now I know this show was shot and originally broadcast in HD, so there is absolutely no reason why it shouldn't be shown that way on TBS HD. Ha! But no. They actually took the 1.33:1 version, with the black bars on the top and bottom, and stretched the sides of it to fill in the 1.78:1 screen.
Angel on TNT is even worse -- they take the letterboxed 1.78:1 version, crop it to 1.33:1, then stretch it back to 1.78:1. It's unwatchable.
Old 01-09-08, 07:13 AM

The only thing that I saw on TBS- HD that wasn't stretched was the baseball playoffs. Other than the two weeks that the playoff's were on- the station is garbage in HD.
Old 01-09-08, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Except for a few aforementioned shows, pretty much has value only for sports, and then when you consider one of the sports they have is the NBA, then it has even less value.
Old 01-09-08, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

TBS and TNT HD are only good right now for sports and original program (at least on TNT, never seen original programming in HD on TBS but I only watch My Boys).

There's a Sci Fi HD channel in the Atlanta area right now (just popped up in the last week) and I assume it will be showing Galactica in HD when it begins airing again.

Universal HD and Mojo are great for old movies, as sometimes you find a real classic like Badlands (on last Sunday night) in HD.

Music HD has some decent stuff, but it seems like they recycle the same 20-30 performances for 6-12 months without anything new.

PBS just went HD in Atlanta and I can't wait for some decent bands to play Austin City Limits.

Discovery (not HD Theater), Nat Geo, History, A and E, CNN HD are all pretty worthless HD channels.

FSN HD shows any game available in HD from channels 48 and 53 in HD; Hawks, Thrashers, and a lot of college basketball.

They've pretty much doubled their HD lineup in the last 2 weeks, and while a lot suck (USA, CNNHD, etc) Sci Fi, FSN, and some random programming on other channels is certainly a benefit.
Old 01-09-08, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The thing that is funny is everyone I know doesn't like it either... I helped a friend of mine set up his new HDTV this past weekend, and he has no clue about any of this and doesnt care that much (hes just glad to have a bigger TV now) and he asked, "So no I have to watch all these shows like they are all from a fun house mirror?"
Old 01-09-08, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by deadlax
TBS and TNT HD are only good right now for sports and original program (at least on TNT, never seen original programming in HD on TBS but I only watch My Boys).

There's a Sci Fi HD channel in the Atlanta area right now (just popped up in the last week) and I assume it will be showing Galactica in HD when it begins airing again.

Universal HD and Mojo are great for old movies, as sometimes you find a real classic like Badlands (on last Sunday night) in HD.

Music HD has some decent stuff, but it seems like they recycle the same 20-30 performances for 6-12 months without anything new.

PBS just went HD in Atlanta and I can't wait for some decent bands to play Austin City Limits.

Discovery (not HD Theater), Nat Geo, History, A and E, CNN HD are all pretty worthless HD channels.

FSN HD shows any game available in HD from channels 48 and 53 in HD; Hawks, Thrashers, and a lot of college basketball.

They've pretty much doubled their HD lineup in the last 2 weeks, and while a lot suck (USA, CNNHD, etc) Sci Fi, FSN, and some random programming on other channels is certainly a benefit.
Thanks for the rundown on the HD channels here in Atlanta. I had totally missed that other handful of HD channels in the list of the HD channels included in the Digital Starter package.
Old 01-09-08, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I love the Food Network in HD.
THE FOOD NETWORK IS IN HD!!!!???!! Maybe this will let me get quicker approval for the home theatre project from the mrs.

A&E does the stretching too, drives me nuts (I watch intervention in case you are wondering).
Old 01-09-08, 09:41 AM
wiz

Yeah, I wish we had Comcast instead of Charter in the north ATlanta area...my parents have a lot more HD channels with Comcast than I do with Charter.
Old 01-09-08, 10:04 AM
Mok

I agree The Office looks like crap, they must pay for the SD copies to save money and just stretch the screen.
Old 01-09-08, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wiz
Yeah, I wish we had Comcast instead of Charter in the north ATlanta area...my parents have a lot more HD channels with Comcast than I do with Charter.
Be VERRRRRRRY careful what you wish for!!!!! (Comcast sucks.)
Old 01-09-08, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by neilo13
THE FOOD NETWORK IS IN HD!!!!???!! Maybe this will let me get quicker approval for the home theatre project from the mrs.
Food Network and HGTV both look great in HD, and that's coming from someone who isn't all that interested in cooking or interior decorating. Maybe its because they have more colors, but they both seem to stick out more as a great example of high-def.
Old 01-09-08, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Its a chicken-and-egg thing. You need HD channels before you get HD programming, and you need HD programming to show before you get HD channels. Something has to come first, so even if there isn't much now, it is just the first necessary step.
Old 01-09-08, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Vipper II
TNT has gotten MUCH better since its debut, as it hardly ever shows stuff in stretch-o-vision anymore. TBS, however, does suck.
This.

TNT used to make me sick, but they've gotten much better lately. TBS is the new TNT though.
Old 01-09-08, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Hulkabrgr
The only thing that I saw on TBS- HD that wasn't stretched was the baseball playoffs. Other than the two weeks that the playoff's were on- the station is garbage in HD.

Exactly.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.