Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Journeyman--"Home by Another Way--12/10/07

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-07, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
After reading some of the 13 pages of posts on the TV Guide web site with people griping and complaining that the show didn't get promoted well enough, I have to agree with that assessment to only a small extent.

This show like Heroes is very serialized and NBC could have promoted the hell out of it with lots of spots, billboards, magazine ads etc. However, if you haven't seen it since episode 1, what makes you think the show will gain any new viewers in episode 4 or 6 or 8? If you have seen the ratings, the show never gained any new viewers each week, it stayed pretty consistently in the 5.5-6.5M viewer range.

I've tried to talk some co-workers into watching this show, however none of them were really interested since they haven't watched it since the 1st episode.
Old 12-13-07, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DJariya
After reading some of the 13 pages of posts on the TV Guide web site with people griping and complaining that the show didn't get promoted well enough, I have to agree with that assessment to only a small extent.

This show like Heroes is very serialized and NBC could have promoted the hell out of it with lots of spots, billboards, magazine ads etc. However, if you haven't seen it since episode 1, what makes you think the show will gain any new viewers in episode 4 or 6 or 8? If you have seen the ratings, the show never gained any new viewers each week, it stayed pretty consistently in the 5.5-6.5M viewer range.

I've tried to talk some co-workers into watching this show, however none of them were really interested since they haven't watched it since the 1st episode.
I really wish the networks would do the same as cable and replay episodes during the week they initially air, usually during non-primetime hours.
Old 12-13-07, 02:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JuryDuty
Dan's wife was miscast
Oh, I don't think so. She has some very nice moments is this series and had it had a chance to blossom to a second season (or even a back 9 of the first season) I think we would've seen her a lot more and probably traveling with Dan. She's very good.
Old 12-13-07, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts
Dan's wife was all right, but I don't understand the "OMG I want to see her in her bra AGAIN OH YEAH" posts.
Old 12-13-07, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by cracksky
That would be a pretty cool season finale if Dan met face-to-face with his father in the present.
even if Frank Vasser didn't remember exactly what Dan looked like, he took some photos in this episode, when he was explaining about seeing life through the lens of his camera. Would be interesting if those came into play.
Old 12-13-07, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts
I found it strange that Dan didn't hold that son accountable for murdering his father. I mean, usually when you do something like that you're, oh yeah, under arrest. Although it would have been hard for the guy to turn himself in, but playing that lady against the son would have done the trick.

And I wish Dan brought up the "A guy punched you, and you called security?...grow a pair" line up to throw back in his face in the present time.
Old 12-13-07, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
This show like Heroes is very serialized
I strongly disagree with you. Except for some very minor plot points, it's essentially episodic.
Old 12-13-07, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I strongly disagree with you. Except for some very minor plot points, it's essentially episodic.
I feel this way too. I don't think this show would be that hard to jump into mid-series.
Old 12-13-07, 06:08 PM

I hate to see this show go, but It had alot going against it with the time slot, lack of promotion on the Peacock's part and Heroes' ratings numbers not up to last season's standards.

Maybe we'll see a miracle of "Jericho" proportions and get a return of Journeyman providing the writers strike doesn't drag on for ages and kill televison as we know it.

As this is one of my favorite new shows, I will be in line to support this show with my pocket book when "Journeyman, the complete first season" is released on dvd!!

Take care all!!
Old 12-13-07, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They showed "Previously on" every week for Journeyman. It was not that hard to get into.

I don't think Dan's wife was miscast at all. I think she did a great job as did everyone else.
Old 12-13-07, 11:25 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by bluetoast
I found it strange that Dan didn't hold that son accountable for murdering his father. I mean, usually when you do something like that you're, oh yeah, under arrest. Although it would have been hard for the guy to turn himself in, but playing that lady against the son would have done the trick.
Well, he didn't murder his dad. He just didn't call for help when his dad was having a heart attack.

and that poses a question, because i honestly don't know - If someone is having a heart attack, and you're there, but don't call for help, is that a criminal offense?
Old 12-14-07, 01:56 AM

You wonder why NBC didn't shift this onto one of their cable networks. This show with it's relatively small production costs and sci-fi audience seem perfect for that treatment.
Old 12-14-07, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dmacsg1
Maybe we'll see a miracle of "Jericho" proportions and get a return of Journeyman providing the writers strike doesn't drag on for ages and kill televison as we know it.
Jericho had the good fortune of having a successful first half of their season. It wasn't until they took a break and then came back from a 3 month hiatus that the ratings took a nose dive. Journeyman had good ratings for about the first week or two, but plummeted after every single episode. People just didn't seem interested from the get-go.
Old 12-14-07, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Flave
Also, last night he changes his family's time-line (gets his father to explain to the kids why he's leaving). Wouldn't this cause a complete rewrite of their history? The only consequence seemed to be the brother's memory being changed. Even though this was a very significant act, their lives unfolded EXACTLY as before right up to the point of the Christmas party?! Jesus, even the Simpsons' toaster time-machine episode did a better job of dealing with this.
This has been my biggest gripe and this is a perfect example. You would think this event would have had a bigger impact on their lives, but everything seems to have played exactly as it did before. You have to wonder what the point is.
Old 12-14-07, 11:23 AM

I actually half expected his dad to "appear" at his present day party. The writers almost HAD to keep it simple though. If his dad was around those years, who's to say that Jack may not have been different leading to Dan having no chance with his present day wife. Then you have the whole possibility of his dad moving the family to follow a job or whatever. This show's present day plot lines kind of hamstring any "realistic" handling of time travel as it pertains to those around him. Regardless, this show has done a fairly good job of using minor details to set things up for future episodes so I suspect that photo his dad took of him will play a part in one of the next 2 episodes.
Old 12-14-07, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Man, I hate to see this go. It isn't perfect, but I really enjoy the actors and the story. But it seems that most of what I enjoy gets the axe so we can watch Dancing with the Stars and other crap.
Old 12-14-07, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Well, he didn't murder his dad. He just didn't call for help when his dad was having a heart attack.

and that poses a question, because i honestly don't know - If someone is having a heart attack, and you're there, but don't call for help, is that a criminal offense?
There is the 'Good Samaritan' law which states that you don't have to give first aid to someone, but that doesn't cover not calling the authorities for help. He probably could have been charged with neglect that lead to death.

I'm no lawyer though.

Chris
Old 12-14-07, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
Man, I hate to see this go. It isn't perfect, but I really enjoy the actors and the story. But it seems that most of what I enjoy gets the axe so we can watch Dancing with the Stars and other crap.
A few culprits to the shows demise:

1. Promotion or lack their of.
2. Timeslot: Was getting slaughtered by CSI:Miami and The Bachelor
3. Heroes audience not giving this show a chance.
Old 12-14-07, 02:45 PM

More culprits:

1) Promos implying it was a mere Quantum Leap clone, when it really isn't. It's a lot deeper.
2) An audience that doesn't want to tax its brain with shows that require thinking.
Old 12-14-07, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I really like this show. But...

It is a niche show and simply wasn't going to make it on network TV. SciFi without the comic book trappings is a rough sell. IMO This show would have suffered the same fate regardless of time slot or night. Now if it was on USA it might have had a chance.

In all truthiness, it always felt as if it was just a little short of the mark. FNL feels that way this season and so does Heroes. I guess its a little bit of everything being off the mark.

It seems, whenever a show is canceled there is an obligatory response indicating it wasn't the shows fault. I know some people are fans but loyalty can blind you. I don't think I have ever watched a show that was canceled and NOT thought it was the producers fault. You know when a show is missing something and Journeyman was missing ... something.
Old 12-14-07, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ayre,

Have you seen all of the episodes? It was a bit off at first but finally found it's footing in the last 5 episodes or so.
Old 12-14-07, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep, watched them all. I really like it and anticipate every episode.

Same thing happened last season with Six Degrees. It improved tremendously and by the end was my favorite show of the season, but something was still missing.

I think Journeyman fails to invite viewers. A good show takes you along for the ride and doesn't require a commitment upfront. An upfront commitment wouldn't affect a viewer that is intrigued by the premise AND a fan of slow paced drama, but everyone else will "click".

I think the networked realized its limited appeal and placed it in Mon 10pm time slot, hoping its limited audience would be enough to garner respectable numbers. It wasn't. Blame the viewers, they didn't tune in.

Both the premise and the execution were not designed for broad appeal ... and it worked (unfortunately). Remember, this was a few peoples pick for first canceled show. The pilot can make or break any show, especially a drama with a substantial arc (although partially episodic). Nobody likes to come in at the second half of a movie.
Old 12-14-07, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Ayre
A good show takes you along for the ride and doesn't require a commitment upfront. An upfront commitment wouldn't affect a viewer that is intrigued by the premise AND a fan of slow paced drama, but everyone else will "click".
I use to think that as well, but I think it just isn't what the mainstream likes. Lost and 24 don't have that problem, and there aren't shows that force commitment more than those.
Old 12-14-07, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
Yes, another excellent episode.

How many people think that
Spoiler:
Dan and Jack's dad may also be a time traveler and that is why he told them he felt like a 'freak' and had to leave?

That would be an incredible revelation!

Chris
That is EXACTLY what I thought when Dan was grilling him in the office.
Old 12-14-07, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Flave
Journeyman is starting to fall prey to the inevitable trap of almost all time-travel fiction: Paradoxes and silly plot contrivances.

The really big one for me, and indeed the one that I just can't get over and irritates me no end, is the whole elapsed time thing. He travels back in time to do whatever he has to do and spends (let's say) an hour doing it. Why the hell does he have to come back to the present an hour after he left? If he can travel through time why can't he just return to the point in time when he left? I realize that the writers are using this as a way to create drama in the present but I could think of a dozen ways to do this without having to invoke this stupid Maguffin.

Also, last night he changes his family's time-line (gets his father to explain to the kids why he's leaving). Wouldn't this cause a complete rewrite of their history? The only consequence seemed to be the brother's memory being changed. Even though this was a very significant act, their lives unfolded EXACTLY as before right up to the point of the Christmas party?! Jesus, even the Simpsons' toaster time-machine episode did a better job of dealing with this.

Look, I really like this show, but it could be even better. Maybe if the writers had been a bit more thoughtful they wouldn't be scrambling to avoid cancellation.
I totally see what you are referring to. My take on why the powers that be return him later in the time line is just because it creates tension. Makes for more dramatic television. I agree that theoretically, if time travel were possible, he should be able to return to the exact point he left, but that wouldnt be very dramatic. There wouldnt be any tension between him and his wife, or him and Detective Mike Kellerman.

For the second part about not seeing any changes in how their lives unfolded because of his dad telling the boys why he was leaving, I just think we havent seen the aftermath yet. THe brother told him what the dad said at the very end of the episode and we havent seen how their lives may be different yet. Dan either didnt remember or still had his old memories, not sure which at this point.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.