Dexter - "Left Turn Ahead" - 12/09/07

Old 12-09-07, 01:34 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
Dexter - "Left Turn Ahead" - 12/09/07

"Left Turn Ahead"
Spoiler:
Dexter finds himself dodging bullets. Lila tries to blackmail him.
Old 12-10-07, 02:48 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
"I can't believe it. $3.49 for gas"

Another great episode. I've been on the edge of my seat for the last three episodes.
Old 12-10-07, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, so here's my thing.

Why, why, why did Dexter have the cabin programmed into a GPS system if he followed Jiminez there the first time? I reaching back and trying to remember a time we saw him do it, but I just can't. It's a completely asinine thing for him to do, as it totally links him to the case if they end up finding Doakes in the cabin - or even now that they've got him placed in the Everglades, it wouldn't exactly look good for him to have something placing him there - and I can't believe he'd be that careless. Or if he was, we would've seen it before, as this is a major plot point and should've been foreshadowed for us. I'm gonna go back and rewatch the episodes since the cabin has been introduced to see if it's something we've seen and I missed.

If it was just put there for convenience, I am very disappointed - incredibly lazy writing, which is so out of character for the show and unacceptable this late in the game.

Other than that, though, another fantastic episode. Loved the little bits of humor thrown in.
Old 12-10-07, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brokenhanger
Why, why, why did Dexter have the cabin programmed into a GPS system if he followed Jiminez there the first time? I reaching back and trying to remember a time we saw him do it, but I just can't. It's a completely asinine thing for him to do, as it totally links him to the case if they end up finding Doakes in the cabin - or even now that they've got him placed in the Everglades, it wouldn't exactly look good for him to have something placing him there - and I can't believe he'd be that careless.
The implication was that the cabin was on his "previously visited places list," which Dexter might not have known existed. In other words, he might have deleted the cabin from his favorites, but it was still in memory. Since they overlayed fake software screens on his Garmin Nuvi, it wouldn't seem worthwhile to discuss whether Nuvis really work like this.
Old 12-10-07, 07:43 AM

Hard to tell if it's Dexter or the writing thats getting a little sloppy, but overall, this show has been great.
Old 12-10-07, 08:55 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Doakes decided just now to try kicking the fence in? Other than that, good episode.
Old 12-10-07, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got the feeling that he'd been working on it for some time, hence the box he moved out of the way that had been hiding his work, a la Escape from Alcatraz.

-Doc
Old 12-10-07, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts
Glad to see there's a few people not lured by the online leaked episodes. I was tempted, but figured I rather wait a couple weeks and see them in HD rather than on a computer.

I don't have a GPS system, so don't really know how they work. I was assuming that it automatically tracked where the car was, without Dexter actively putting the cabin into the system (which would've been massively stupid).

Loved the scene where Dexter tells Deb his secret
Old 12-10-07, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That scene was awesome. I reacted the same way Deb originally did, choking on what I was eating/drinking, and then subsequently laughing harder and harder at each new rendition of the scene. Amazing how intensely funny this show can be, while also maintaining drama, tension, and even heart (as in when Dexter told Angel he was the "normal person" he'd most want to be like).

As for the GPS - perfect reason not to get one - same goes for ez-pass. Mapquest and dollar bills work just fine for me

-Doc
Old 12-10-07, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver
As for the GPS - perfect reason not to get one - same goes for ez-pass. Mapquest and dollar bills work just fine for me
What are you doing that you can't be traced? Are you in the mafia or a serial killer like Dex, or are you cheating on someone?

Seriously EZpass and GPS are great little technologies, they make driving a little more bearable to me.

Anyway, what a cliffhanger and I can wait for next week. I'd rather see it "live" as much as I want to know what happens.
Old 12-10-07, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by stevevt
The implication was that the cabin was on his "previously visited places list," which Dexter might not have known existed. In other words, he might have deleted the cabin from his favorites, but it was still in memory. Since they overlayed fake software screens on his Garmin Nuvi, it wouldn't seem worthwhile to discuss whether Nuvis really work like this.
Not having a GPS system so therefore not knowing the ins and outs of how they work, I could buy that. I just assumed they only tracked things you put in, but I could see how it tracking your stops would be handy...

...except the thing was off and hidden in the glove compartment when Lila got it. If Dexter knew it existed, one could only surmise that he would either make sure to cover his tracks or to ditch the thing. It being in the glove compartment leads me to believe he didn't know it was there, so therefore it would've never been turned on - which, I would imagine, would mean it would've never tracked him in the first place. Not to mention if he knew it was there that he'd keep the window down far enough for someone to easily break in and take it.

Whatever - as frustrating as it is that the writers got so ridiculously lazy in the last 2 minutes of the second to last episode of a season that had been so far seemingly very meticulously planned, I refuse to let it ruin my enjoyment. The episode was another amazing installment of what has been one of my favorite television seasons in recent memory. I absolutely cannot wait to see how they wrap it up...

...I'll just be slightly less than happy that they cheated to get there.
Old 12-10-07, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was hoping they would find more dirt on Lila than just "expired visa".
Old 12-10-07, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Drop
What are you doing that you can't be traced? Are you in the mafia or a serial killer like Dex, or are you cheating on someone?

Seriously EZpass and GPS are great little technologies, they make driving a little more bearable to me.

Anyway, what a cliffhanger and I can wait for next week. I'd rather see it "live" as much as I want to know what happens.

Sadly my life is far more boring than that. I just don't like a paper trail of every place I go. Not to mention that they're already running trial programs that use EZpass to clock a person's speed and mail them a ticket. And it HAS been used in divorce proceedings, not that I'm worried about that right now, not being married and all. It's just the whole "slippery slope" and Big-Brother-ness of it all that leaves me a little unsettled.

-Doc
Old 12-10-07, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by brokenhanger
...except the thing was off and hidden in the glove compartment when Lila got it. If Dexter knew it existed, one could only surmise that he would either make sure to cover his tracks or to ditch the thing. It being in the glove compartment leads me to believe he didn't know it was there, so therefore it would've never been turned on - which, I would imagine, would mean it would've never tracked him in the first place. Not to mention if he knew it was there that he'd keep the window down far enough for someone to easily break in and take it.
He knew it was in the car. When he found the melted one, he called Rita to ask her to look for it in the car.
Old 12-10-07, 04:38 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Hey Doaks! Got Juice?
Old 12-10-07, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the GPS was a bit too convenient also, but they did establish it in an earlier episode. Dexter was using it when he originally followed that guy from his bar, which is several hours out of Miami, to the cabin. He then did his dirty work and had to get back to Rita after Lila broke in to her place. He probably used the GPS to find the quickest way back to Miami and then saved the location in the GPS to be sure he could get back.
Old 12-10-07, 05:41 PM
Suspended

What a great, great show. I can't wait for next season.
Old 12-10-07, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts
This felt like a filler episode, but it was still pretty good.
Old 12-10-07, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
That's kind of how I felt. Sure, there were some great moments, but it didn't quite measure up to the last few weeks. Probably hurt that I'd seen Lila find the GPS in the previews. That might have had a little more pop if I hadn't known it was coming.

Since I personally see no way for the show to continue with Doakes still a presence I'll have to say that I'll miss him. The last few weeks between he and Dexter have been some truly fantastic moments.
Old 12-11-07, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by stevevt
He knew it was in the car. When he found the melted one, he called Rita to ask her to look for it in the car.
You're right. I went back and rewatched when he followed Jiminez there the first time and he was using the GPS system as he was following him. Totally missed that.

So not nearly as lazy as I had thought. Good.
Old 12-11-07, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
I wouldn't say that, but it felt incomplete. I don't think anything was concluded.
Old 12-11-07, 12:21 PM

Filler would imply it had nothing to do with the main plot. This episode was "setup" not filler.

There were some great moments, though, namely Dexter coming to grips with what he is and how he should deal with it.
Old 12-12-07, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Phod
Filler would imply it had nothing to do with the main plot. This episode was "setup" not filler.

There were some great moments, though, namely Dexter coming to grips with what he is and how he should deal with it.
QFT... some people are just enjoying this series more than others this season
Old 12-12-07, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this is going to be a long wait until Sunday for me. if my HTPC wouldn't have died I'd most likely have already caved and watched the finale by now. I just can't bring myself to watch this show on my laptop.