Reload this Page >

Xavier Von Erick, leader of Perverted-Justice (Dateline), is a douche

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Xavier Von Erick, leader of Perverted-Justice (Dateline), is a douche

Old 12-04-07, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xavier Von Erck, leader of Perverted-Justice (Dateline), is a douche

Watch this clip in which a reporter confronts Xavier Von Erick, the owner of Perverted-Justice (but not in a hostile way. He just wants to interview him). Xavier gets extremely defensive and rude, and acts like he's 14 years old. Then again, he spends all day pretending to be 14 years old in chat rooms, so maybe this is excusable?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mjwtmw_sAk0

Last edited by Seantn; 12-05-07 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-04-07, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
He doesn't seem like a douche. He is a douche.
Old 12-04-07, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ah, good point! I have edited my thread title to reflect that. Thanks!
Old 12-04-07, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, is he ever. It looked like he realized that he fucked up calling the guy "son", then tried to spin it.
Old 12-04-07, 07:51 PM

There was an interesting article in Rolling Stone about these guys a few months ago, and he did indeed come off as a douche:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/sto...n_witch_hunt/5
Old 12-04-07, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow what a dick, I haven't heard somebody talk like that since I was in high school.
Old 12-05-07, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Geez, that guy made me angry enough to date a 13 year old. For spite, of course.
Old 12-05-07, 10:11 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

He's like a weird combination of Quentin Tarantino and the Simpson's Comic Book Guy.
Old 12-05-07, 11:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DRG
He's like a weird combination of Quentin Tarantino and the Simpson's Comic Book Guy.
Add to that a little of Screech's arrogance and douchbaggery.
Old 12-05-07, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And the looks of Silent Bob.
Old 12-05-07, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

He is a douche for his name alone - especially knowing he changed it to that himself.
Old 12-05-07, 01:32 PM

Anybody who criticizes Von Erick is probably a child molester themselves. Otherwise, why would you be so worked up about what he does?

Everybody in this thread: take a seat. Take a seat!
Old 12-05-07, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Cusm
He is a douche for his name alone - especially knowing he changed it to that himself.
Really? What an idiot.
Old 12-05-07, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would say that I agree, but last time I criticized perverted justice or dateline, I was accused of supporting molestation.
Old 12-05-07, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Cusm
I was curious about this, so I did some research:

None of this bothers Xavier Von Erck, whose obsession launched the franchise. "Hey, the TV show could go away tomorrow, and it doesn't matter to me," he says. "Perverted Justice will still do what we do, roll how we roll."

Von Erck, whose nickname is X, is sitting in a bookstore cafe in Portland, dressed all in black. He looks a little like Philip Seymour Hoffman, five-eleven and round all over. He wears tinted eyeglasses and walks with a limp because he spends so much time at the computer that his eyes are now light-sensitive and his leg muscles have seized up. In a way, he's an odd doppelganger for Brannen, another guy who seems childlike but wants to be a gangster.

Though he wasn't molested himself, Von Erck felt robbed of his childhood by his father and legally changed his name from Phillip Eide to eradicate the last vestiges of his paternal namesake. "My dad was an alcoholic scumbag commercial fisherman who hit my mom," he says. "She left him when I was one, and he went on to impregnate ten more women up and down the West Coast. His name is garbage." As a teenager, the only thing that brought Von Erck back to a state of innocence and wonder was the computer -- until he decided that the online world was teeming with sex offenders. "I was so into the computer," he says. "I went into chat rooms thinking it was going to be utopia, and it was dystopia."

It's easy to see how Perverted Justice resembles a game to Von Erck. Intentionally enigmatic himself, he demands utter transparency from predators and Perverted Justice members, like a junior-high-school kid playing D&D who always wants to be the dungeon master so he can control every aspect of the game. He guards his power closely, requiring members to give him their entire Internet history (all screen names, all pages joined) and going to war with "stupid" people who dare to criticize Perverted Justice. He exacted a particularly sadistic form of revenge against Bruce Raisley, a software developer from Arkansas who launched an aggressive anti-PJ crusade. Posing as a woman named Holly, Von Erck began an online flirtation with Raisley, who was smitten enough to leave his wife and rent a new apartment. On the day Raisley went to pick up Holly at the airport, Von Erck sent a friend to snap his photo and posted it with a warning: "Tonight, Bruce Raisley stood around at an airport, flowers in hand, waiting for a woman that turned out to be a man. . . . He has no one. He has no more secrets. . . . Perverted-Justice.com will only tolerate so much in the way of threats and attacks upon us."

Here, after all, is the point of Perverted Justice: to destroy and vanquish, to re- establish utopia, both online and off. With or without To Catch a Predator, the man known as X is onto the next stage of the game, taking on even bigger prey than horny guys who stalk young girls. Von Erck's new obsession is what he calls "corporate sex offenders" ? online sites that don't do enough, in his view, to rein in the pedophiles who use their services. MySpace is exempt from the campaign -- since March, at the request of PJ, it has removed more than 3,000 predators from its site and forwarded their addresses and online profiles to the police. But Von Erck is mobilizing his thousands of followers to write letters to companies advertising on LiveJournal and YouTube, demanding they withdraw their support.

"Corporations have a choice about having the pedophile community use their service and upload videos on their sites," he says. "People want to know if you're responsible on this issue."

Von Erck looks out into the distance, imagining a world in which every predator has been ferreted o ut and cyberspace is his again. "When it comes to the Internet, pedophiles got there first," he says. "It's a check game, where they make one move and we try to check it. But slowly but surely, we're catching up."
And this:

But in 2004, Von Erck and Fencepost had a falling-out over tactics. "Xavier became much more oriented toward getting pedophiles arrested rather than just making them complete social pariahs in their neighborhood," says Fencepost. A Detroit broadcast on Von Erck caught the attention of Hansen, a smart reporter known for using hidden cameras, who took the idea to Dateline in 2004. All told, Perverted Justice has helped arrest about 250 men with the show, nabbed 200 more in other stings and scared straight hundreds of others. In a move that whitewashed the group's prior bullying and abusive tactics, Von Erck has wiped all traces of early chats, including Fencepost's, from the Perverted Justice Web site. Earlier this year, he deleted entries from his personal blog as well, upset that journalists had located them and quoted some of his writing: "I wish I could fucking kill 9/11 conspiracy theorists. Yes, kill. I'd like to kill them. . . . I want you to die. I wish you would die. Why don't you die? Just die." For a while clicking on his blog brought up a message addressed to "lazy idiots who aren't that bright." The subject line read, "You'll have to do some work now."
Rolling Stone: 'To Catch a Predator': The New American Witch Hunt for Dangerous Pedophiles
Old 12-05-07, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Haha wow, I didn't know Kevin Smith's little brother was such a db.
Old 12-05-07, 03:40 PM
Suspended

I like him.
Old 12-05-07, 04:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok, let me preface my statement by saying i don't know the guy, never heard of him. I obviously know what "to catch a predator" is, but don't really have a huge opinion of it. So i consider myself pretty objective in this.

I don't think that video portrays him as a douche at all. yes, the "son" line was weird. but other than that, i thought he handled himself well. The guy was a scheduled public speaker at that location. the reporter wasn't. yes, the reporter had a right to be there as well, but i don't think this xavier guy did anything unnecessary. the guy was in his face, so he took a few shots at him (with the "local affiliate" stuff).

did the reporter actually ask him any real questions at any point?
Old 12-05-07, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
I don't think that video portrays him as a douche at all. yes, the "son" line was weird. but other than that, i thought he handled himself well. The guy was a scheduled public speaker at that location. the reporter wasn't. yes, the reporter had a right to be there as well, but i don't think this xavier guy did anything unnecessary. the guy was in his face, so he took a few shots at him (with the "local affiliate" stuff).

I saw it completely different, the local reporter, after getting permission from someone to be there, he was asking permission from X, who then goes off about him being in his face, and proceeds to get in his face and touch the reporter, before breaking into the even more juvinile name calling of national press - which the reporter retorts since he worked nationally. The whole time the reporter showed no signs of disrespect of Mr. Phillip Eide; but that did not stop his hissy fit.
Old 12-05-07, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think that video portrays him as a douche at all.
Your douche detector is broken.
Old 12-05-07, 05:41 PM

i'm not doubting that the guy is actually a douche. but he never once raised his voice to the guy, and consistently tried to walk away, as the reporter followed him. not nearly as bad as you guys are portraying it.
Old 12-05-07, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i'm not doubting that the guy is actually a douche. but he never once raised his voice to the guy, and consistently tried to walk away, as the reporter followed him. not nearly as bad as you guys are portraying it.
Before trying to walk away, he accused the old guy of spitting in his face (which he obviously didn't do), he said that he was going to die of old age soon, he mentioned that he was drooling, he called him "son" in a condescending manner, AND he put his hands on the guy.

I think it's just as bad as we're portraying it.

Last edited by Seantn; 12-05-07 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-06-07, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What part of "I don't want to be interviewed" don't reporters understand?

I have no opinion of the guy either and yeah he could have just continued to say "no comment" over and over and over, but I seriously doubt the reporter would have given up. I agree that he could have been more adult about it and he shouldn't have called him son or touched him but when he said he spit in his face I think he meant that as the reporter was talking some spittle came out of his mouth and hit his face. He didn't mean that he literally spit on him.

In any event, the reporter may have had permission from someone (whoever the someone was) but the Xavier guy was a scheduled speaker and simply didn't want to be interviewed. As he was walking away the reporter simply shouldn't have followed him. The reporter seemed way too confrontational.
Old 12-06-07, 01:17 AM

hallelujah, a supporter of my opinion!
Old 12-06-07, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Seantn
Before trying to walk away, he accused the old guy of spitting in his face (which he obviously didn't do), he said that he was going to die of old age soon, he mentioned that he was drooling, he called him "son" in a condescending manner, AND he put his hands on the guy.

I think it's just as bad as we're portraying it.
And calling the guy a failure because he's old and still working in local news. Yeah, a complete douche.

Plus if you go to YouTube and start looking at the related videos, you'll see that the reporter had previously done stories questioning PJs tactics and pointing out that a sting operation done locally didn't lead to convictions because the group screwed up, which gives you a good idea why Von Erck was acting the way he did.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.