Reload this Page >

SEINFELD question

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SEINFELD question

Old 11-27-07, 10:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SEINFELD question

I remember an episode where Kramer is running down the street with a Puerto Rican flag and it's on fire. After the episode the show got a lot of calls about it and the producers said they will never air that episode on t.v. again.
Is that from season 9 and is it on the dvd set?
Old 11-27-07, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by wm lopez
I remember an episode where Kramer is running down the street with a Puerto Rican flag and it's on fire. After the episode the show got a lot of calls about it and the producers said they will never air that episode on t.v. again.
Is that from season 9 and is it on the dvd set?
The Puerto Rican Day" is the one-hundred and seventy-sixth episode of the NBC sitcom Seinfeld. It aired on May 7, 1998. It was the 20th episode of the 9th and final season. The episode was their second highest rated episode of all time with 38.8 million viewers, only behind their Series Finale. The episode aired one week before the two-part clip show and the two-part series finale aired. Because of controversy surrounding a scene in which the Puerto Rican flag is burned (albeit accidentally), NBC refused to show it again, and was not part of the syndicated package initially, but in the summer of 2002, the episode started to appear, with the flag-burning sequence intact. It has aired rarely since.
Pretty sure it is included in the dvd.
Old 11-27-07, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is included on the dvd. I watched it last week. Personally I think it's a very funny episode and always wanted to see it in syndication. There are numerous really funny parts of the episode. George and the laser pointer guy. George, Jerry and Kramer all making up fake names so they can use an apartment for various reasons. The maroon Golf jackass guy. There are some more too.
Old 11-28-07, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I thought I remembered hearing that people were upset with the episode not so much for the flag burning, but for showing the violent reaction of the largely Puerto Rican crowd.
Old 11-28-07, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just saw this in syndication yesterday. Not a very good episode, IMO.
Old 11-28-07, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

isn't this the one where Elaine yells at the dog owner that the dog's ear is flipped inside out? I remember getting a kick out of that when I saw it. So true.
Old 11-28-07, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by movieking
You could say that about most of the ninth season.
Old 11-28-07, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
Perhaps the funniest scene is where George and Jerry make up fake names and keep saying it to each other. Maybe I was just in a silly mood that day.
Old 11-28-07, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I thought I remembered hearing that people were upset with the episode not so much for the flag burning, but for showing the violent reaction of the largely Puerto Rican crowd.
No, I remember it well and the public reaction was clearly due to the Puerto Rican flag being burnt in the episode and nothing else. (An event which showed that the reaction within the episode was a fairly accurate reflection of real life and made the episode even funnier IMO.)

(And, BTW, I've been in NYC during the Puerto Rican Day Parade - it really does lock up the city and getting around is a virtual nightmare.)
Old 11-28-07, 11:04 AM
Banned

I grew up with Puerto Ricans here in Chicago and it is a big deal to 90% of them.
So when I saw that episode it was more funny to me because I know how they must have felt. Glad to know it's on the dvd set and I will be picking it up when it's on sale for under $20.
Old 11-28-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I grew up with Puerto Ricans here in Chicago and it is a big deal to 90% of them.
So when I saw that episode it was more funny to me because I know how they must have felt. Glad to know it's on the dvd set and I will be picking it up when it's on sale for under $20.
"Ha ha! You care about something!"
Old 11-28-07, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

"The Puerto Rican Day" wasn't the best episode of Seinfeld, but it should've been the story for "The Finale" episode (air "The Clip Show" -pt.1 & 2 first, than "The Puerto Rican Day" episode as the series finale).

Like I said, it wasn't the best episode of Seinfeld, but it reminded me of earlier seasons. The story was about "nothing" and getting caught in traffic during a parade happens to people. It wasn't the best episode from the ninth season, but it was a strong episode, however.

Kramer posing as H.E. Pennypacker just so he could go to the bathroom was "classic" Seinfeld, IMO.
Old 11-28-07, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Perhaps the funniest scene is where George and Jerry make up fake names and keep saying it to each other. Maybe I was just in a silly mood that day.
"Pennypacker. Varnson. Vandelay. Varnson. Varnson. Vandelay. Varnson. Pennypacker. Vandelay. Pennypacker. Varnson. Pennypacker."

Hilarious.
Old 11-28-07, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman241
"The Puerto Rican Day" wasn't the best episode of Seinfeld, but it should've been the story for "The Finale" episode (air "The Clip Show" -pt.1 & 2 first, than "The Puerto Rican Day" episode as the series finale).

Like I said, it wasn't the best episode of Seinfeld, but it reminded me of earlier seasons. The story was about "nothing" and getting caught in traffic during a parade happens to people. It wasn't the best episode from the ninth season, but it was a strong episode, however.

Kramer posing as H.E. Pennypacker just so he could go to the bathroom was "classic" Seinfeld, IMO.
No way. While it did capture the feel of earlier seasons, it lacked the funny... in a big way. Probably one of the least funny episodes of the entire nine seasons.
Old 11-28-07, 05:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
"Ha ha! You care about something!"
Yeah, about finding this dvd for under $20.
The only flag I've waved is U.S.A.!!
Old 11-28-07, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The only flag I've waved is U.S.A.!!
Wow. I didn't know it was humanly possible to miss the point so completely.

Last edited by Tracer Bullet; 11-28-07 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-28-07, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
My wife is Puerto Rican and she always understood Kramer burning & stomping on the flag was a joke. She thought that scene was hillarious.
Old 11-28-07, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Black Saab rules! So long jackass!
Old 11-29-07, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Puerto Rican Day is one of my faves from the post-David Seins. It's also EASILY Top 5 from the final season, which included such crap as "The Strongbox" and "The Maid," two of the worst episodes the show ever produced.
Old 11-29-07, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
No way. While it did capture the feel of earlier seasons, it lacked the funny... in a big way. Probably one of the least funny episodes of the entire nine seasons.
It wasn't as funny as most Seinfeld episodes, I agree. It was funnier than "The Finale" episode, however. That's the point I was trying to make.
Old 04-12-11, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: SEINFELD question

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
It's also EASILY Top 5 from the final season, which included such crap as "The Strongbox" and "The Maid," two of the worst episodes the show ever produced.
What? The Maid was the last great episode of the whole season! "Gammy's getting upset!"
Old 04-12-11, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 04-12-11, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts

At least he didn't start a thread for this. I see this as a good middle ground.