Journeyman--"Blowback"--11/26/07

Old 11-26-07, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Journeyman--"Blowback"--11/26/07

Continuation from last week's episode

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Conclusion. The kidnapper (Raphael Sbarge) returns seeking revenge and targets Katie. Meanwhile, Dan travels to 1983, where he finds the origins of a criminal; and Livia learns more about her life's purpose.
Old 11-26-07, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hooray! At least we get to see the end of the two-parter!!!!
Old 11-26-07, 10:59 AM

why is NBC not giving this more of a chance when they gave Studio 60 the benefit of the doubt, as well as Friday Night Lights? i joined NBC.com solely so i could make my voice heard there as well (which im sure some are glad to keep me from venting here too much) but anyone else who hasnt yet, go take it to the NBC site and bitch at them there
Old 11-26-07, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by superman69
why is NBC not giving this more of a chance when they gave Studio 60 the benefit of the doubt, as well as Friday Night Lights? i joined NBC.com solely so i could make my voice heard there as well (which im sure some are glad to keep me from venting here too much) but anyone else who hasnt yet, go take it to the NBC site and bitch at them there
They only got Studio 60 by promising Sorkin that they'd get a full season up front. As for FNL, I can't help you except that it was their own production company making the show (Universal). (Journeyman is produced by FOX.)

In any case, I read an article in Entertainment Weekly this week saying that shows like this one have a chance at surviving if only because the WGA strike may prevent new shows from being written in time to get selected for a pilot. So instead, networks will be forced to pick up shows like this for a "second season" for lack of a new series alternative. Doesn't genuinely bode well for any show in that situation, but who knows?
Old 11-26-07, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
FNL was given alot of support last season because the previous NBC Prez Kevin Reilly absolutely loved the show despite the shitty ratings.

I don't know what the current NBC Prez Ben Silverman thinks about Journeyman, but I consider it a miracle it's made it this far. If this wasn't a strike-plagued TV season, it would have already gotten the axe.
Old 11-26-07, 11:51 AM

I posted this in last weeks thread, but just in case you're not reading that thread

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/34883

More troubling news for “Journeyman” fans!

Series mastermind Kevin Falls says, much to his sorrow, it looks like NBC may not air the 12th and final “Journeyman” completed before the writers' strike.

An excerpt from an interview Falls did with Bullz-Eye.com:

So we’ve got this Episode 12 dangling out there, and…I don’t know if it’ll ever see the light of day on the network. And it is…in some ways, it could very much be the series finale. And it’s really good. It’s directed by Alex Graves, it’s a really strong script, and it answers questions, and it’s gonna be one of those things that people are really, really gonna want to see.

More frustrating? Episode 12 concludes a two-part story to launch in episode 11.

Episode 8 aired Monday, Nov. 19.
Episode 9 airs Monday, Nov. 26.
Episode 10 is the “Christmas episode.”

It’s strange to think that NBC wouldn’t want to delay the January season debut of, say, “Law & Order” for one week to give fans that final episode of “Journeyman.”

Here’s Falls’ comment in a larger context:

BULLZ-EYE: So what is going to happen with the remaining episodes? Because Ain’t It Cool News got everyone up in arms by saying that the network was gonna cancel the show unless the two-parter that started last night (Nov. 19th) and finishes next Monday (Nov. 26th) brings big numbers.

KEVIN FALLS: Here’s what…I think what got twisted around was that episodes 8 and 9, the episodes in question there, were certainly important episodes. We’d up-kicked on 7, and 8 and 9 were sweeps, and so they’re gonna be watching that closely. That, coupled with the fact that, on Dec. 3rd, “Life” gets our slot…there’s gonna be a “Life” episode on that night, and I think they’re doing a Monday / Wednesday episode that’s a 2-parter, but you’d have to check on that…and I think that made it seem like we were gonna get yanked after that, but that’s not true. We will air Episodes 10 and 11; 10 is our Chris tmas episode, and 11 is the first part of a two-parter that leads into our…season finale.

Now, here’s what no-one knows about and what I just found out about last night: there’s no room for Episode 12. And the idea is…they’re not saying, “We’re not going to give you that back 9.” I mean, no-one can predict what’s gonna happen with the strike. But I think the idea is that NBC, what they want to do is tie up all their loose ends. Like, “Heroes” and “Life” and our show, have all that stuff done by the first of the year, so that they can, if there’s still a strike, air new programming or mid-season shows like “Medium” and “Lipstick Jungle” or another “Law and Order” and a ton of reality wallpaper, so they can start fresh. I think that’s (NBC President Jeff) Zucker’s thinking, and, business-wise, I get that. It makes sense.

But what’s frustrating…and this is the second time I’ve been frustrated with the network…is because I love them so much and I think they do the best TV shows. It’s like being angry at your parents; you love them, but sometimes you don’t like what they’re telling you to do. So we’ve got this Episode 12 dangling out there, and…I don’t know if it’ll ever see the light of day on the network. And it is…in some ways, it could very much be the series finale. And it’s really good. It’s directed by Alex Graves, it’s a really strong script, and it answers questions, and it’s gonna be one of those things that people are really, really gonna want to see. Now, I’ve been told that there’s gonna be a DVD, so you will get it. But it’s…what makes us so frustrated is that, at a time when writers are striking and networks need programming, why on earth would you not find a place for Episode 12? And that’s the question for which nobody seems to have an answer
Chris
Old 11-26-07, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Too bad about the show, I've really gotten into it. I found out last week that a few other people I know are fans of the show.

Will certainly pick up a DVD set if it ever comes out.
Old 11-26-07, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by BlackCapTen
Too bad about the show, I've really gotten into it. I found out last week that a few other people I know are fans of the show.

Will certainly pick up a DVD set if it ever comes out.
IF they cancel this before the season ends (which I TRULY hope they don't), will we at least get to watch the final eps online (a la Day Break)? Hope so...
Old 11-26-07, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rfduncan
In any case, I read an article in Entertainment Weekly this week saying that shows like this one have a chance at surviving if only because the WGA strike may prevent new shows from being written in time to get selected for a pilot. So instead, networks will be forced to pick up shows like this for a "second season" for lack of a new series alternative. Doesn't genuinely bode well for any show in that situation, but who knows?
EW may be right about that... but I think we're much more likely to see things like:

Dancing with the Stars: The Lost Footage
Who Wants to Eat My Dead Uncle's Left Leg
World's Most Dangerous Paper Cuts

and the like.

Networks are going to realize pretty quickly that they can get adequate ratings with this unscripted crap and L&O reruns. Probably better ratings than Journeyman, unfortunately.

I plan to do a *lot* of reading in the months ahead, in addition to catching up on my unwatched DVD pile.
Old 11-26-07, 08:52 PM

I love this show, I really hope by some luck it stays on the air.
Old 11-26-07, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

On the subject of the actual episode, I thought it was one of the best of the show so far.
Old 11-26-07, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The episode was excellent, but I knew the kid in the past was going to be the guy. It was cool that the brother saw Olivia, and finally believes him. I'm glad they didn't drag it out after pushing the reset button on that last episode. This show has such potential. I just hope it gets a nice wrap up since we know it won't last.
Old 11-27-07, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
The episode was excellent, but I knew the kid in the past was going to be the guy. It was cool that the brother saw Olivia, and finally believes him. I'm glad they didn't drag it out after pushing the reset button on that last episode. This show has such potential. I just hope it gets a nice wrap up since we know it won't last.
Yeah I felt it was sort of stupid in the previews for them to reveal that the kid was the guy, it would have been better if it was a surprise (even an obvious one). Agreed about the brother, glad he's in on it. And...is the FBI guy (Chappelle!) dead?
Old 11-27-07, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Keeps getting better and better. I waited on last week's episode until tonight because I wanted to watch the two episodes back to back. Really glad they've brought the brother into the fold.
Old 11-27-07, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bluetoast
And...is the FBI guy (Chappelle!) dead?
Jack Bauer did it better.
Old 11-27-07, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great episode. So glad Dan's brother got to see Livia.
Old 11-27-07, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm hungry for some Lunch-A-Lots now

Another great episode
Old 11-27-07, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bluetoast
Yeah I felt it was sort of stupid in the previews for them to reveal that the kid was the guy, it would have been better if it was a surprise (even an obvious one). Agreed about the brother, glad he's in on it. And...is the FBI guy (Chappelle!) dead?
Well I just knew, I don't watch previews. It just seemed to make sense when they showed him locked in his room, since he used to lock girls in rooms.
Old 11-27-07, 04:14 AM
Suspended

Livia's hot!
Old 11-27-07, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Great episode. So glad Dan's brother got to see Livia.
This was my favorite part of the episode. They played the scene perfectly, and I also loved when she shoved that woman out of the elevator.

They REALLY need to keep this show around to the end...
Old 11-27-07, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by uteotw
This was my favorite part of the episode. They played the scene perfectly, and I also loved when she shoved that woman out of the elevator.

They REALLY need to keep this show around to the end...
I like when she pushed the lady out too. I was afraid they were going to tease us with seeing Livia in the elevator and then have her disappear before Dan's Brother got to talk to her.

Why isnt moving this show an option? Too late in the game?

Anyone know how ratings were last night?
Old 11-27-07, 11:03 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Bad guy was in 'Risky Business' many moons ago.
Old 11-27-07, 11:54 AM

I was a little disappointed with the ending. I thought it was rushed a little. I also thought the guy should have shot himself since he didn't want to go back into prison just to be executed 20 years down the road.

And the final scene between the 3 of them on the street should have been fleshed out just a little bit more.

Still, this is a great show and we should enjoy it while we can.

DJariya & I posted in 2 other threads that Chuck & Life got full season pickups, but no word on Journeyman yet.

Chris
Old 11-27-07, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Really liked the two-parter. I liked how when he went back, he was injured so he couldn't call social services and change the timeline too much, but just enough to save his family in the future. Good episode.

Looks like I'll have to register on NBC.com and let them know they should keep the show.
Old 11-27-07, 01:30 PM

And here's the updated breakdown:

Ep 01 9.16m
Ep 02 8.23m
Ep 03 6.94m
Ep 04 6.75m
Ep 05 6.06m
Ep 06 5.75m
Ep 07 5.13m
Ep 08 6.09m
Ep 09 6.25m
Ep 09 6.18m (this past Monday's episode - 11/26)

First at 10 p.m., of course, was CBS mainstay CSI: Miami at a healthy 15.46 million viewers and a 4.6/12 among adults 18-49. Comparably, that built from lead-in Rules of Engagement by a hefty 3.84 million viewers and 21 percent in the demo. Second was NBC’s struggling Journeyman (Viewers: 6.18 million; A18-49: 2.5/ 6), followed by the time period debut of ABC’s October Road at a mere 6.02 million viewers and a 2.3/ 6 in the demo.
Bummer it was down slightly from last week. I would have liked to see it go up a bit, even if just a little. NBC should really change the timeslot and start promoting it more.

Last edited by heavy liquid; 11-27-07 at 01:50 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.