Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Shows you're discovering for the first time because of the writer's strike

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Shows you're discovering for the first time because of the writer's strike

Old 11-25-07, 01:14 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
calhoun07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 14,402
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shows you're discovering for the first time because of the writer's strike

Most shows have not gone into reruns yet, but I decided to take a look at some shows I've overlooked in the past. One is Aliens in America and I am finding the show to be really well done. I hope it lasts and finds an audience.

Another one is How I Met Your Mother. I tried to watch the pilot when it first aired but the show just did not click with me for some reason. After watching a couple episodes on air, I rented season one and fell in love with this show. I haven't watched a sit com on CBS for so long...none of them ever appealed to me (in all seriousness, I think the last comedy show I recall watching on CBS was Newhart!) But this show made me rethink some perceptions I had about CBS before.

I was shocked to see HIMYM is in it's third year...I've missed out on quite a bit!

So are you discovering any new shows because of the strike? I figured this is the time to watch new stuff, even if everything goes in reruns, because reruns of shows I never watched before will be new to me!
Old 11-25-07, 02:33 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: a mile high, give or take a few feet
Posts: 13,511
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
30 Rock, which I had read about, but never watched. Quite enjoyable, too, so that's a plus.
Old 11-25-07, 02:56 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Rypro 525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: a frikin hellhole
Posts: 28,263
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, since best buy had them on sale, i decided to bite and buy season 1 of both Oz and Six Feet Under, although i remember sfu boring me to tears the one time i did try to watch it.
Old 11-25-07, 10:46 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,353
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by calhoun07
Another one is How I Met Your Mother. I tried to watch the pilot when it first aired but the show just did not click with me for some reason. After watching a couple episodes on air, I rented season one and fell in love with this show. I haven't watched a sit com on CBS for so long...none of them ever appealed to me (in all seriousness, I think the last comedy show I recall watching on CBS was Newhart!) But this show made me rethink some perceptions I had about CBS before.

I was shocked to see HIMYM is in it's third year...I've missed out on quite a bit!
Boy, you sure have. How I Met Your Mother isn't just the best sitcom on CBS, it's been one of the best sitcoms out there, period. Season 2 is even better than Season 1, so get out there and get the DVDs now.

I only wished The Class, which aired in the timeslot before HIMYM last year, had managed to survive for another season. It took a few episodes to find it's legs, but then it got really good. Still hoping for a DVD release on that one, though.

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
well, since best buy had them on sale, i decided to bite and buy season 1 of both Oz and Six Feet Under, although i remember sfu boring me to tears the one time i did try to watch it.
Six Feet Under is a slow burn grower. My wife started watching it via Netflix, and I didn't get into it at first, either. But by the 3rd Season, I couldn't get enough of it. It also has one of the best Series finales ever made.

As for me, finally going to watch all the episodes of Chuck, Reaper, Moonlight, Prison Break and Big Bang Theory that I've been DVR-ing, but haven't had time to view yet.

Also took advantage of some of the recent TV on DVD sales out there, and will probably re-watch Carnivale and get caught up on Entourage (only saw Season 1 so far).
Old 11-26-07, 04:08 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
TheKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: City Of Orange, CA
Posts: 8,069
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
About the only thing the strike has done to my viewing so far is hold off on starting this season of Prison Break until I've watched my Season 2 DVDs. Once shows start running out of new episodes, maybe I'll shop around. I just got my first HDTV on Black Friday, so I might be willing to give an HD show a chance.
Old 11-26-07, 07:13 AM
  #6  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 34,899
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Slightly off topic, but I'm discovering a lot of new shows because of the Holiday challenge.

I searched my cable guide and DVRed a bunch of Thanksgiving episodes, 40 or so of them from shows that I had never seen before. I've watched some real crap, but also discovered that a few shows weren't quite as horrible as I feared. Nothing new has been quite good enough to make it to my regular watch list though.
Old 11-26-07, 08:43 AM
  #7  
Moderator
 
Jadzia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,799
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It hasn't effected my viewing habits yet. I still have a ton of current episodes to watch on my DVR.

I am guessing things will start to dry up in December. I usually catch up on shows once the December re-runs start, but this year many shows will be over by December.

Many of my shows seasons have/are ending such as Weeds, Tell Me You Love Me, Dexter, Curb, Dancing with the Stars, Californication, etc. The only new seasons that have started recently is Project Runway and Nip/Tuck.
Old 11-26-07, 09:35 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,874
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Friday Night Lights for me. What a great show.
Old 11-26-07, 09:36 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Dr. Henry Jones, Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: My Car
Posts: 6,752
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
watched all of the episodes of Pushing Daisies, might start watching Cane now instead of deleting it.
Old 11-26-07, 09:52 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 25,062
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing yet, most shows still have new episodes. That might change once they start running out.
Old 11-26-07, 10:01 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 9,864
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
I only wished The Class, which aired in the timeslot before HIMYM last year, had managed to survive for another season. It took a few episodes to find it's legs, but then it got really good. Still hoping for a DVD release on that one, though.
That show took MUCH more than "a few episodes to find it's legs"! They were still trimming the ensemble cast when it ended - Holly Ellenbogen (Lucy Punch) was "expelled" after episode 16 of 19 total. Kyle Lendo's (Sean Maguire) boyfriend Aaron vanished after 7 episodes. The show was just generic and occassionally funny. I watched it, but it didn't show any real growth until the VERY end of that first season.

If you're going to hawk something for a sitcom, I'd vote for The New Adventures of Old Christine which is hilarious if not only for Julia Louis-Dreyfus but also for the supporting cast and very funny writing!

With the looming derth of new programming, I'm watching Project Runway now. Quite an interesting show...
Old 11-26-07, 10:07 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 56,922
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
None yet. I think there is plenty of programming on right now that I am not hurting for something to watch. I'll get back to you in January or February if the strike is still going on and I manage to clear out my 50-60 hours of programs on Tivo.
Old 11-26-07, 10:20 AM
  #13  
DRG
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: ND
Posts: 13,421
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I agree with the above comment. Right now my DVR is filled with things I need to catch up with, although that should all be dried up by late December/early January.
Old 11-26-07, 11:31 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,353
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rfduncan
That show took MUCH more than "a few episodes to find it's legs"! They were still trimming the ensemble cast when it ended - Holly Ellenbogen (Lucy Punch) was "expelled" after episode 16 of 19 total. Kyle Lendo's (Sean Maguire) boyfriend Aaron vanished after 7 episodes. The show was just generic and occassionally funny. I watched it, but it didn't show any real growth until the VERY end of that first season.
I knew a lot of people who thought it was great. Even my wife, who doesn't enjoy a lot of sitcoms, really liked it. I don't think it was generic at all, and usually ended up laughing my ass off most of the episodes. It was a great pairing with HIMYM, too.

If you're going to hawk something for a sitcom, I'd vote for The New Adventures of Old Christine which is hilarious if not only for Julia Louis-Dreyfus but also for the supporting cast and very funny writing!
.
Sorry, but you couldn't pay me to watch anything featuring former Seinfeld cast members - particularly Julia Louis-Dreyfus. To me, those are generic shows, and I found Seinfeld to be completely overrated.
Old 11-26-07, 12:29 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
FantasticVSDoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: No longer trapped
Posts: 11,610
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
Slightly off topic, but I'm discovering a lot of new shows because of the Holiday challenge.

I searched my cable guide and DVRed a bunch of Thanksgiving episodes, 40 or so of them from shows that I had never seen before. I've watched some real crap, but also discovered that a few shows weren't quite as horrible as I feared. Nothing new has been quite good enough to make it to my regular watch list though.
Same here...Gilmore Girls is now something that Im thinking about purchasing now.
Old 11-26-07, 12:36 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lyon Estates
Posts: 10,795
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Wire

always heard good things. halfway through S1. excellent stuff
Old 11-26-07, 12:56 PM
  #17  
Moderator
 
Jadzia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,799
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
Slightly off topic, but I'm discovering a lot of new shows because of the Holiday challenge.
What is the Holiday challenge?
Old 11-26-07, 01:55 PM
  #18  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 34,899
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
What is the Holiday challenge?
DVDTalk's Third Annual Holiday Challenge
Old 11-26-07, 02:15 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Posts: 4,813
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Sorry, but you couldn't pay me to watch anything featuring former Seinfeld cast members - particularly Julia Louis-Dreyfus. To me, those are generic shows, and I found Seinfeld to be completely overrated.
Seinfeld is generic? Overrated? Julia Louis -Dreyfus unwatchable?

Well I agree with you on the JLD is annoying and about 3 months ago I would've agreed with you on Seinfeld being overrated, but now I'm joining the majority and saying you're wrong IMO.

The Class was a Friends rip-off plain and simple, and Friends stole from Seinfeld and took some of Seinfeld's originality credits.

The last good CBS sitcom to go off the air was The King of Queens. The Big Bang Theory is the best sitcom on CBS, along with The New Adventures of Old Christine, currently. IMO.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.