Kitchen Nightmares - "Finn McCool's" - 11/14

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-15-07, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone watch last night's episode?

Chef Ramsay seemed to be genuinely touched that this Irish family was able to turn the business around. The father reminded me of the police captain from the Lethal Weapon series.

I also thought the food critic acted a bit high and mighty, with the cameras turned to her.
Old 11-15-07, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

that food critic looked like she was 15. pretty high opinion of herself.
Old 11-15-07, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That food critic was a total ****.

This was a decent episode, but without much arguement and Ramsay's trademark verbal abuse it just felt a little flat. Anyone live near there eaten there before? I go out to LI once a year, at least, so maybe I'll have to drop in sometime.
Old 11-15-07, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liked the episode. It makes it more enjoyable when they appreciate Ramsays input, unlike that asshole last week.

Next week looks funny.
Old 11-15-07, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
that food critic looked like she was 15. pretty high opinion of herself.
I think she printed her own newspaper on her inkjet and handed it out at the supermarket.

Those kids of his were pretty funky looking, lucky charms are magically delicious

I think Ramsay does seem to have a good knack at zeroing in on what the place should be serving and what they can do well.
Old 11-15-07, 03:41 PM

i love a good shepherd's pie. ramsay's looked great.

and yes, those sons were fugly.
Old 11-15-07, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
I liked the episode. It makes it more enjoyable when they appreciate Ramsays input, unlike that asshole last week.
I actually liked how the chef bailing affected the entire relationship with his brother and father, in a positive manner. Ramsay was smart to put the dad in the kitchen and show just how tough it is to be a chef. It added a new touch to these shows, actually giving a little bit of positive slant to the jerk chef, as opposed to all of the "that chef is crazy! what a jerk!" that could have happened.

Ramsay was able to breathe new life into the chef, and have the brother and father appreciate what he does (even though he wasn't doing it that well).
Old 11-15-07, 05:52 PM

The father was the first owner of this version that actually appeared that he cared more about Ramsay helping him turn his business around instead of getting a free makeover or being on tv.

That food critic didn't deserve to be sat and get a meal. Her whole "do you want a good review?" rant made her look immature. Any respectable critic not only will wait for a table if the place is busy, but will try not to attract attention to themselves.
Old 11-15-07, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Keith6601
Any respectable critic not only will wait for a table if the place is busy, but will try not to attract attention to themselves.
yes, exactly! the whole point is for the critic to be treated like a normal customer. If they blend in, then they will be treated that way. otherwise, the review is pointless, because no one else will be treated like they're a critic.

I know there are a lot of famous food critics, but the best reviews come from those that aren't recognizable or pointing out that they're a critic.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 11-16-07 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11-15-07, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the food critic was being a self-important bitch. This episode was the first that felt more like one of the BBC shows rather than the usual overblown Fox crap. He spent time with the owner to figure out what was wrong with the business and then spent some one-on-one time with the arrogant chef to get him to focus on the important stuff about running the kitchen and helping the business. Plus it helped that they kept the wacky Irish family moments to a minimum.
Old 11-15-07, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Too bad the BBC version is miles better than the Fox version. They really butchered a great show.
Old 11-15-07, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
Too bad the BBC version is miles better than the Fox version. They really butchered a great show.
Don't think you'll get an argument from anyone that has seen both. This can pretty much be said about any BBC show converted to american though.
Old 11-16-07, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't think you'll get an argument from anyone that has seen both. This can pretty much be said about any BBC show converted to american though.
I would disagree with you and use The Office as my main example.

I enjoy the US version of Kitchen Nightmares, but I will admit that the UK version is highly superior. I'll take whatever I can get of Ramsay on American network television. Hell, I would even sit and watch him curse out a wall for two hours because it would be that entertaining.
Old 11-16-07, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
Those kids of his were pretty funky looking
The chef's eyes were bugging out, more so whenever he was confronted.
Old 11-16-07, 09:31 AM

Here in NY the NY POST did a follow up article on What happened to Finn McCool's after Ramsey was there:

1) They said that the spring rolls (that Ramsey hated so much) were so good that Ramsey kept them on the menu. Great acting there Ramsey

2) The "Mazzio" family is Italian

3) The only real change is that the Father, Brother, and Chef Brother now fight "at home." and not in front of the customers.

4) Ramsey replaced their freezer with a smaller one, so that they will prepare more fresh fish - rather than relying on frozen products.

I am assuming that the food Critic was from a "local paper" - I assume this is the free paper that we all get in our neighborhood... mine is called the Photo News - it comes once a week and is about 20 pages with community bulletins, a feel good story, and local advertisements / classifieds.

[EDIT] I just remembered that the Owner did not apply to be on Kitchen Nightmares. Instead, that Chef tried out to be on Hell's Kitchen, and they liked his feisty attatude so they called him to see if he wanted to do KN.

Last edited by CPA-ESQ.; 11-16-07 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-16-07, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mnementh
The chef's eyes were bugging out, more so whenever he was confronted.
Chef Shortcut sure did have the crazy eyes!
Old 11-16-07, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The father was the first owner of this version that actually appeared that he cared more about Ramsay helping him turn his business around instead of getting a free makeover or being on tv.

That food critic didn't deserve to be sat and get a meal. Her whole "do you want a good review?" rant made her look immature. Any respectable critic not only will wait for a table if the place is busy, but will try not to attract attention to themselves.

Shocker she had to wait for a table. Hmm, let me think. New menu, (probably) free food, Chef Ramsey, jeez, I have no ideas why the place was packed to the rafters.

How many restaurants do you think the producers go check out, then send a letter stating "We are sorry, your employees seem too functional and we decided not to shoot an episode at your business."
Old 11-16-07, 01:54 PM

That food critic was indeed a bit*h. I mean, most food critics donít want to be known by the staff that theyíre a food critic; they want to be treated like every other customer and get the same service as everybody else. Not this one though, she was mugging it up for the camera, every chance she got.

I liked the retired cop/owner, heís about the only one thus far in the series run that hasnít done something overly dramatic.
Old 11-16-07, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I thought the son who ran the bar looked retarded - for real.
Old 11-16-07, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by ytrez
Chef Shortcut sure did have the crazy eyes!

He sure did have a purdy mouth too
Old 11-16-07, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Fox had a funny pre-commercial tease. They repeated the line from the sister-in-law where she says "I'm worried about Buddy's health" and then they show the fire truck pulling up in front of the place. You think "Oh, shit, is he gonna have a heart attack or something?" When they get back from commercials, you find out the Chef just went and invited the local fire department to try the place out.
Old 11-17-07, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
So this was shot in the winter....I assume winter 2006? Last week's episode at the pizza parlor in LA was shot during the Academy Award season, which is around February. I guess they are airing these episodes out of order, which obviously doesn't really matter with this show.
Old 11-18-07, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DJariya: So this was shot in the winter....I assume winter 2006? Last week's episode at the pizza parlor in LA was shot during the Academy Award season, which is around February. I guess they are airing these episodes out of order, which obviously doesn't really matter with this show.

Professor Hathaway: That's a wonderful story, DJariya. I noticed you've stopped stuttering.

DJariya: I've been giving myself shock treatments.

Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.
Old 11-18-07, 01:55 PM
Suspended

I've never seen this show but Finn McCool's is by my apt. Its not really a resteraunt its really just a bar.
Old 11-18-07, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
I've never seen this show but Finn McCool's is by my apt. Its not really a resteraunt its really just a bar.
Have you ever eaten there? This Fox version just reeks of fake drama and making the restaurant look worse than it really it is so that can have that dramatic feel good turnaround at the end.