Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

ESPN to Pick Up Friday Night Lights?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

ESPN to Pick Up Friday Night Lights?

Old 11-14-07, 01:58 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
uteotw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: WI
Posts: 4,440
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ESPN to Pick Up Friday Night Lights?

Like Playmakers, but, you know, nicer

I'd be just fine with this.
Old 11-14-07, 03:07 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: H-Town, TX
Posts: 3,662
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd be ok with that provided they don't impose any creative changes on the show. Let's get through Season 2 first though(or at least the 15 episodes they're expected to complete).
Old 11-14-07, 03:10 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 56,925
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
That whole story seems to be pure speculation. I know 5.5M viewers per week for a network TV show sucks, but NBC hasn't given any indication that they may pull the plug. I know the show isn't cheap to produce, especially since it's shot on location in Austin, Texas. Those numbers will drop even further if they switch to ESPN.....with probably a lower budget.
Old 11-14-07, 03:45 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Docking Bay 94
Posts: 14,259
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doughboy
I'd be ok with that provided they don't impose any creative changes on the show. Let's get through Season 2 first though(or at least the 15 episodes they're expected to complete).
Given the pretty radical change in tone between season 1 and season 2, I don't think I'd even put that caveat on it. "Creative changes" may turn out to be positive.
Old 11-14-07, 04:57 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
JuryDuty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Lost in Texas
Posts: 6,489
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would expect a little less "teen drama" if it goes to ESPN...but that'd be fine with me. Just keep the spirit of the show along with the regulars and I'd be happy.
Old 11-15-07, 01:08 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,635
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
somebody needs to go back to before Landry killed the guy and give him his own show.
Old 11-15-07, 01:15 AM
  #7  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Traveling at the speed of drunk.
Posts: 139
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Gentz
somebody needs to go back to before Landry killed the guy and give him his own show.
Give who his own show? Landry or the guy he killed? Kidding.

If the only way to keep one of the best shows on TV is by switching networks, sounds good to me. Maybe then Coach Taylor can add a little more "goddam" and little less "gosh darnit".
Old 11-15-07, 09:25 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 25,062
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bboisvert
Given the pretty radical change in tone between season 1 and season 2, I don't think I'd even put that caveat on it. "Creative changes" may turn out to be positive.
What is this "radical change in tone", exactly? I keep seeing comments like this but no one ever explains themselves.
Old 11-15-07, 09:51 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Chew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: South of Titletown
Posts: 18,628
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Other than Landry's subplot, I don't see a "radical" change in tone either.

I don't have ESPN HD, so that would be one negative for me. But, whatever it takes to keep the show going.....
Old 11-15-07, 09:52 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: H-Town, TX
Posts: 3,662
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
What is this "radical change in tone", exactly? I keep seeing comments like this but no one ever explains themselves.
Me neither. I'll confess that Season 2 didn't start off anywhere near as strong as the first season did, but it was still a very watchable, entertaining show. And IMO, it's recaptured most if not all of its Season 1 groove the last couple weeks.
Old 11-15-07, 10:00 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Ayre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,153
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
What is this "radical change in tone", exactly? I keep seeing comments like this but no one ever explains themselves.
Every week we have detailed how the show is different and you argue with us and now you claim "no one ever explains themselves." Please go back and read the past weeks. You may still disagree, but the details are all there.

I think the move would be great, but short lived. Season reduced to 10-13 episodes and then canceled. In return we might get a less One Tree Hill type of show and more of a edgy drama like season 1.

Last edited by Ayre; 11-15-07 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-15-07, 10:16 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 25,062
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ayre
Every week we have detailed how the show is different and you argue with us and now you claim "no one ever explains themselves." Please go back and read the past weeks. You may still disagree, but the details are all there.
I think I made a comment like this in one of the weekly threads. It certainly hasn't been every week. In fact, I don't even post in them any longer because I get tired of the whining. In fact, I listed my reasons for why I think people are overreacting to this season's changes or misremembering the first season, and no one even responded.
Old 11-15-07, 10:34 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Docking Bay 94
Posts: 14,259
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
What is this "radical change in tone", exactly? I keep seeing comments like this but no one ever explains themselves.
You don't see that a major plot about covering up a killing is a "radical change in tone"?

I didn't grow up in a Texas football town. But if I did, I could go back to Season 1 and see a lot of truth and realism there. Stuff that, you know, probably happens every day.

This season is spending a TON of time on this Landry thing. And that's artificial TV drama... not slice-of-life. That to me is a change in tone.


Maybe "radical" is too harsh (no one is being visited by aliens or anything). But it is not the same show that we started with... the Landry storyline is the obvious thing. But the show doesn't have the same flow or character interaction that we saw last year either.
Old 11-15-07, 10:35 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 9,864
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't like this idea at all. The numbers will surely drop because lots of people don't GET ESPN. I watch this show on an over-the-air antenna to see it in HD. If it moves to ESPN, I will not be able to watch it in HD any more.
Old 11-15-07, 10:46 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 25,062
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bboisvert
You don't see that a major plot about covering up a killing is a "radical change in tone"?

I didn't grow up in a Texas football town. But if I did, I could go back to Season 1 and see a lot of truth and realism there. Stuff that, you know, probably happens every day.

This season is spending a TON of time on this Landry thing. And that's artificial TV drama... not slice-of-life. That to me is a change in tone.


Maybe "radical" is too harsh (no one is being visited by aliens or anything). But it is not the same show that we started with... the Landry storyline is the obvious thing. But the show doesn't have the same flow or character interaction that we saw last year either.
No, I don't. From a previous episode thread:

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Exactly. There were some questionable plots in the first season, but they worked because of the superb writing and willingness to deflate cliches. What else would you call Riggins' affair, Street's paralysis, and Smash's steroid abuse? I don't see any substantive difference between those and the murder or Lyla's conversion because the writing has remained smart and sharp.
All this stuff about the show being a "slice-of-life" is certainly true, but it's true this season, too. Landry's murder is this season's paralysis, and I'm willing to wait and see where they're going with it.
Old 11-15-07, 10:52 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Docking Bay 94
Posts: 14,259
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree. I see all three of those things (affair, paralysis, steroids) as being much more "normal" (for lack of a better term) than the Landry subplot. In fact, I can say that all 3 of those things -- to one degree or another -- actually HAPPENED while I was in high school.

Landry, not so much...
Old 11-15-07, 10:56 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 9,864
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bboisvert
I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree. I see all three of those things (affair, paralysis, steroids) as being much more "normal" (for lack of a better term) than the Landry subplot. In fact, I can say that all 3 of those things -- to one degree or another -- actually HAPPENED while I was in high school.

Landry, not so much...
That you KNEW about. Right now with his father's help, Landry stands to get away with it. If course we know that isn't going to happen. I don't understand why in this storyline the characters involved just seem to make the obviously wrong decisions. The father should have just had Landry admit that he was saving Tyra from being raped, they freaked out and unwisely decided to dump the body. I guess the father feels the whole confession might jeopardize his playing football...
Old 11-15-07, 11:01 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 58,108
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
I don't like this idea at all. The numbers will surely drop because lots of people don't GET ESPN. I watch this show on an over-the-air antenna to see it in HD. If it moves to ESPN, I will not be able to watch it in HD any more.
ditto.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.