Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

How long do you the the WGA strike will last?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: How long will the WGA strike last from 11/12/07.
less than two weeks
0.74%
more than two weeks
1.48%
a month
4.44%
Christmas '07
5.19%
First month of '08
20.00%
Three months or longer.
68.15%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

How long do you the the WGA strike will last?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-07, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmy James
The networks may be bound and determined to see this go for a long time, but this is a movie and TV strike. Unless there is some sort of schism and the WGA signs contracts for motion pictures but not for television, I can't believe that the studios and independents are willing to see summer 2009 and beyond go right into the shitter.

I also think we could very possibly see one or two networks fold if they're bound and determined to go this way. I also think the others may very well be trouble. With any luck, the cable nets that back drama and comedy today will make up for the broadcast network mistake of thinking they can get out of scripted TV.
I feel that the WGA folks want the strike to last long enough to overlap with a potential strike by the DGA and SAG starting July 2008 over more or less the same issues. Such a strike could essentially bring the ENTIRE TV and movie industry to a screaming halt and that could be enough to bring down not only TV networks, but possibly whole entertainment companies. We could see a merger of entertainment companies if we have an extremely prolonged strike.
Old 12-29-07, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
It might as well go forever. With the cheap crap like Dancing with the Stars getting huge ratings, that is what we will be seeing more of. If that is my future, I will go back to books. And I don't like books.
Old 12-29-07, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RayChuang
I feel that the WGA folks want the strike to last long enough to overlap with a potential strike by the DGA and SAG starting July 2008 over more or less the same issues. Such a strike could essentially bring the ENTIRE TV and movie industry to a screaming halt and that could be enough to bring down not only TV networks, but possibly whole entertainment companies. We could see a merger of entertainment companies if we have an extremely prolonged strike.
I don't think so. I think what the WGA wants is more compensation. They'd be happiest if they got it tomorrow.

I think the entities most at risk are the broadcast TV networks. Media conglomerates will constantly merge and spin off parts, but I think we could be down to 4 or even 3 networks by the end of this if goes on for a while.
Old 12-29-07, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
I think the entities most at risk are the broadcast TV networks. Media conglomerates will constantly merge and spin off parts, but I think we could be down to 4 or even 3 networks by the end of this if goes on for a while.
The most likely victim if we have a prolonged strike: the CW network. ABC, NBC and Fox will survive because they are only parts of larger media conglomerates, and CBS survives because Les Moonves is generally pretty good at programming decisions.
Old 12-29-07, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kvrdave
It might as well go forever. With the cheap crap like Dancing with the Stars getting huge ratings, that is what we will be seeing more of. If that is my future, I will go back to books. And I don't like books.
I feel your pain. I know people are tired of us complaining about shows like Dancing with the Stars, American Idol, Deal or No Deal, etc. but they all get great ratings, thus the networks will (and are) try and shove more mindless trash down the mainstream audience. Sad thing is, they'll watch it. How I miss the days when truly smart shows like M*A*S*H, Mission: Impossible and Seinfeld (for ex.) got the high ratings, and were the hit series.

I don't like books either, but that might be are only opinion at some point. Video games are another opinion, but I suck at them.
Old 12-29-07, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman241
I feel your pain. I know people are tired of us complaining about shows like Dancing with the Stars, American Idol, Deal or No Deal, etc. but they all get great ratings, thus the networks will (and are) try and shove more mindless trash down the mainstream audience.
Dancing with the Star, American Idol and Deal of No Deal are the cream of the reality TV crop - people obviously like those since they keep watching. They were here before the strike and will be here afterwards.

We have yet to see the real crap reality TV that will be a result of the strike. All the shit thats on right now (Battle of the Choirs, etc), that was already in the process before the strike.
Old 12-29-07, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
What's the point of constantly complaining about Reality TV and Game Shows? They always get good ratings and are cheap to produce and will always be a part of our Television lives whether we choose to watch them or not?
Old 12-29-07, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
The most likely victim if we have a prolonged strike: the CW network. ABC, NBC and Fox will survive because they are only parts of larger media conglomerates, and CBS survives because Les Moonves is generally pretty good at programming decisions.
So your saying assuming the CW network doesn't have the financial resources to survive a long streak? Even though it has the full backing of CBS and Warner Brothers.
Old 12-30-07, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
So your saying assuming the CW network doesn't have the financial resources to survive a long streak? Even though it has the full backing of CBS and Warner Brothers.
It's not about financial resources -- it's about whether the conglomerates in question feel the networks are still a good investment.
Old 12-30-07, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't believe production companies are just sitting on their hands, waiting for the strike to end (Bad Robot, The Mark Gordon Company, Berlanti Television .. etc).

Doesn't it take about six weeks to produce a show that has already been written. When a back 9 is ordered from a new series it takes about a month to get a show ready to air. If the writers are writing (which I believe they are), then its very possible that shows will be able to finish seasons. Shows that start in the second half may finish in the summer. They won't be full seasons, but at least they might be cohesive.

New pilots can be written right now. Nobody can stop this. It will happen behind the scenes, ensuring production companies workers have jobs to go back to.
Old 12-30-07, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it's the exact opposite. The studios aren't in any hurry to sign a deal because they know by the time any new scripts are ready there won't be any directors or actors to produce them. Whether they are shutdown by 1 strike or 3 it doesn't matter, and they'll probably get a better deal negotiating all at once. So unless the studios are willing to cave and then bend over for the DGA and SAG to avoid any labor actions this summer, they might as well stick to their guns for now. It's probably why there was word the studios are willing to let this current strike run into the next season.
Old 12-30-07, 07:16 AM
Banned

Writers are already making their deals and are returning to the late night shows.
With the presidential election in 2008 they have to return to make fun of FoxNews and the Republican candidates. So the studios all have to do is wait and they will settle with the deal the best suits the studio.
Old 12-30-07, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Writers are already making their deals and are returning to the late night shows.
With the presidential election in 2008 they have to return to make fun of FoxNews and the Republican candidates. So the studios all have to do is wait and they will settle with the deal the best suits the studio.
The problem is that both The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and The Colbert Report are returning to the air without WGA East writers. The result: 1) it will be a much lesser show and 2) both of these shows may be unable to book guests, especially any political figure that will be sympathetic to the WGA strike. This is the same problem that will plague the NBC late night shows.
Old 02-04-08, 12:42 AM
Suspended

three months or longer seems to be a winner.
Old 02-04-08, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
three months or longer seems to be a winner.
Not yet. It would have to last until at least Feb 12th.

Although the choice of 1st month of '08 is kind of awkward, I'd say that is the closest. I'm also completely biased because that's what I picked.
Old 02-04-08, 03:05 PM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hopefully the Lost season will be completed this year - and we'll get Jack Bauer back!
Old 02-04-08, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by andicus
Not yet. It would have to last until at least Feb 12th.
The strike started on November 5.
Old 02-04-08, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
TB is correct:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Wr...America_strike
Old 02-04-08, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Okay. I was going by the Poll title that said from November 12th.

So, technically, the three months would be the 12th, since the poll stated 'How long will the WGA strike last from 11/12/07.'

Last edited by andicus; 02-04-08 at 03:48 PM.