Reload this Page >

Ugly Betty: Becoming unlikeable

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-12-07, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like this show, even though it is not discussed much here. Lately though it has bothered me in that Betty is becoming somewhat unlikeable, and her "boyfriend" Henry is becoming not the innocent nerd we thought he was, but kind of a creepy jerk. Betty almost skipping her father's citizenship ceremony is incomprehensible. I know it is a broad satire, but they just seem to be taking some of the characters, especially Betty and Henry down some pretty unredeemable paths. Maybe it's just me.

B
Old 11-12-07, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not feeling it for UB either this season. I still haven't mustered the desire to watch this past week's episode. It's definitely fallen on the priority viewing list for me.
Old 11-12-07, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I hear what you're saying. In fact, I even commented on it in last week's thread. I find myself watching for the other characters now and find myself hoping Henry goes away more and more. I think I first noticed it with Betty's interaction with Geo.

Nowadays, I watch it for Amanda and Marc's exchanges, Christina (at least until she was saddled with a husband) and Hilda (though, I enjoy looking at her more than I do her "storylines").

Everything else, I could take or leave.
Old 11-12-07, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been watching season two, but also fall in the category that thinks this show has lost a certain something since season one.

And, BTW, I think they should have made this past Thursday's episode the "season finale" until the writer's strike is resolved. It would have been a great place to leave on a cliffhanger.
Old 11-12-07, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I really like this show, even though it is not discussed much here. Lately though it has bothered me in that Betty is becoming somewhat unlikeable, and her "boyfriend" Henry is becoming not the innocent nerd we thought he was, but kind of a creepy jerk. Betty almost skipping her father's citizenship ceremony is incomprehensible. I know it is a broad satire, but they just seem to be taking some of the characters, especially Betty and Henry down some pretty unredeemable paths. Maybe it's just me.

B
i was thinking on those lines aswell
Old 11-12-07, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by calhoun07
And, BTW, I think they should have made this past Thursday's episode the "season finale" until the writer's strike is resolved. It would have been a great place to leave on a cliffhanger.
I thought the same thing.

As to the OP, I think the show is as good as it was last season.
Old 11-12-07, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Rogue588

Nowadays, I watch it for Amanda and Marc's exchanges, Christina (at least until she was saddled with a husband) and Hilda (though, I enjoy looking at her more than I do her "storylines").

Everything else, I could take or leave.

Pretty much. I started watching it because my wife really wanted to check it out so we marathoned it over the summer and both got hooked on it. I've been saying for months though that they should just have a spinoff of Amanda and Marc because they're the only two characters I really like anymore. They absolutely crack me up.
Old 11-12-07, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Nowadays, I watch it for Amanda .
Nuff said!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ICHLWODrzlw&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ICHLWODrzlw&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 11-13-07, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love how the organist accompanies Amanda during her performance!
Old 11-13-07, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by dgmayor
Pretty much. I started watching it because my wife really wanted to check it out so we marathoned it over the summer and both got hooked on it. I've been saying for months though that they should just have a spinoff of Amanda and Marc because they're the only two characters I really like anymore. They absolutely crack me up.
that I'd watch. Marc's new boyfriend looked hot all cleaned up

the one show I'm not diggin' this season is 'Scrubs' with the whole baby thing - ugh!
Old 11-13-07, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giles

the one show I'm not diggin' this season is 'Scrubs' with the whole baby thing - ugh!
Agreed on both! I'm now watching it more for Marc and Amanda than anything else. Is that the Will & Grace effect with Jack & Karen?

"Get up there and SING, girl! Your fifteen minutes are fading fast!"
Old 11-13-07, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not enough Amanda and Marc, and when they are there, the storylines are weak.
Old 11-13-07, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Agreed on both! I'm now watching it more for Marc and Amanda than anything else. Is that the Will & Grace effect with Jack & Karen?

"Get up there and SING, girl! Your fifteen minutes are fading fast!"
I see a pattern
Old 11-13-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I still find the show enjoyable. But I have to agree that Marc and Amanda storylines are the funniest ones.

Since Season 1, I found Daniel's storylines to be the most annoying.
Old 11-13-07, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The show is becoming unlikeable?

I'm sorry to threadcrap, and I tried to resist it yesterday. It's just too amusing to me that folks are finally starting to turn on this show now.

Carry on, and sorry to be a distraction. I just really hate this show.
Old 11-13-07, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jimmy James

I'm sorry to threadcrap, and I tried to resist it yesterday. It's just too amusing to me that folks are finally starting to turn on this show now.

It doesn't much care for YOU either.

Apologetically threadcrapping is STILL threadcrapping, jerk.
Old 11-13-07, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jimmy James

Are you THE Jimmy James?
Old 11-13-07, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnysd

B
I think Betty is not becoming unlikeable, but is just showing she's human. She can't be self-sacrificing 100% of the time, so occasionally we see her do something to show that. Regarding her father, don't forget how angry she was because she really compromised her morals to get him home. When he reacted the way he did, she felt that that was a 'fine' way to thank her. Of course, her father had no idea what she did, but that didn't change how it made her feel.

I think this season has been good, so far. A lot of funny stuff, and a reasonable balance of drama.
Old 11-13-07, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That he did. I love the pairing of those two. Total opposites and I think Marc's new boyfriend may just teach him a thing or two about life. Marc could really use that since he and Amanda can be such charactures sometimes.
Old 11-13-07, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
It doesn't much care for YOU either.

Apologetically threadcrapping is STILL threadcrapping, jerk.
I love "Ugly Betty". I love absolutely everything and everyone on it.

All threadcrappers can piss off.
Old 11-13-07, 08:57 PM

I don't think it's that the characters are unlikeable. It's that the storylines make no sense. Why didn't Betty just go to Daniel and ask him to help with her father's immigration problems when he's helped before? Why should Henry believe anything Charlie says about the test results? Why does he have to move there? Why can't he have her move to New York? Why is Henry punished for wanting to support his child? Why would a grown woman allow her boss to dictate who she could or couldn't see? he plot

Betty has always been judgmental--there were episodes last year where that was the crux of the plot. I thought Henry making her go to the immigration/citizenship ceremony worked because Betty hold grudges as she did with Christina.
Old 11-14-07, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cmleidi
I don't think it's that the characters are unlikeable. It's that the storylines make no sense. Why didn't Betty just go to Daniel and ask him to help with her father's immigration problems when he's helped before? Why should Henry believe anything Charlie says about the test results? Why does he have to move there? Why can't he have her move to New York? Why is Henry punished for wanting to support his child? Why would a grown woman allow her boss to dictate who she could or couldn't see? he plot
It's a soap opera.
Old 11-14-07, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
It's a soap opera.
it's a "telanovela"
Old 11-14-07, 03:29 PM

This was the only full episode i've ever watched. it was kinda funny... =]
Old 11-14-07, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

it's a "telanovela"
Yeah, tell that to your guy friends so they don't make fun of you for watching a soap opera!