Reload this Page >

ER - "Blackout" - 11/08/07

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-08-07, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spoiler:
In the midst of the "go green" craze, Morris buys a new energy-efficient car. Abby and Pratt disagree on the diagnosis of a fussy baby. Later, Abby falls back into old bad habits while Kovac is away in Croatia.
Old 11-08-07, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, for those still watching (I do, but haven't had much to say about the episodes this season), Abby has crawled back into the bottle, and tonight's episode wasn't pretty. Though I dislike the storyline, Maura Tierney was solid through Abby's descent, perhaps hitting bottom with a drunk fling with Moretti (add him to the scumbag heap), and a desperate dash to run away from it all, crying baby in tow.
Old 11-09-07, 12:02 AM

I missed a little of the beginning, but doesn't ER follow the normal season process....so it supposedly should be October or November right now in the show, and it is like heat wave and blackouts in Chicago? What a pathetic play to 'green week'. Did they explain this in the beginning? Either way, pathetic.
Old 11-09-07, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Is Busy Phillips off the show? WTF
Old 11-09-07, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by ben12
Is Busy Phillips off the show? WTF
Yeah, I agree with that. Bullshit.
Old 11-09-07, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rogue588
Yeah, I agree with that. Bullshit.
And what happened to the other blonde-haired foreigner? Didn't she start last week?

I still want to know what the heck is up with Moretti's son. And, yeah, he is a total scumbag.

This was the best episode of the season. Tierney was excellent as usual.

Last edited by conscience; 11-09-07 at 06:49 AM.
Old 11-09-07, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have been rewatching the first couple of seasons (I watched occasionally early on) on DVD, and ER is really a shell of what it used to be. I really hope they just put this show out of it's misery, it's gotten pretty terrible. It's unfortunate too, because the cliffhanger with the shooting along with the Gallant/Neela storyline was some of the best stuff ER did since Greene left. It's really almost unwatchable for me now, especially compared to the older stuff.
Old 11-09-07, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
Though I dislike the storyline, Maura Tierney was solid through Abby's descent, perhaps hitting bottom with a drunk fling with Moretti (add him to the scumbag heap), and a desperate dash to run away from it all, crying baby in tow.
That constantly screaming baby is even worse than Sam's Spawn of Satan™; doesn't the damned thing ever shut up. They crank the audio so much I have to mute the TV. I'm about ready to give up on ER.
Old 11-10-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When Chuny said, “I remember when Dr. Green and Dr. Ross where interns” and Sam said “Who?” that pretty much summed up ER today.

Did anyone see Abby smack Sam in the ass in the bar? That was the highlight of the episode!

Terrible episode, but sadly it’s been one of the best episodes of the season so far. They’ve completely ruined Stanley Tucci’s character (Moretti) and from the bits of his life we’ve seen so far, I don’t get why he’d take advantage of Abby when he knows she’s already married. Abby’s “crawling back into the bottle” storyline has just been horribly written and the only thing that selvages it from being one of the worst storyline’s in ERs history, Maura Tierney’s performance. She’s a hot drunk also.

Like lordwow said, ER has become completely unwatchable compared to when it was in its prime. Thank goodness I have seasons 1-7 on DVD. I really hope this is the last season of ER and in some (I don’t know how they’ll do it now) way they make the series finale episode good and at least give the show a somewhat respectable ending.

I mean, when the highlight of an episode is Abby smacking Sam in the ass and Sam wearing that t-shirt that was “wet” because it was hot, it’s time to end the show. Plus apparently they don’t even bother to do the show in “real time” anymore. It’s never that hot in November in Chicago.
Old 11-10-07, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

About how hot it was in Chicago in November... wasn't that the point? The whole "Global Warming" thing. If you look back at the last couple of years.. the weather has been extreme in many areas. I think they were trying to make a point that it's not supposed to be hot in November in Chicago .. and yet, it was.
Kinda ties in with the 'green week' thing.
Old 11-10-07, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts
Sam looked good in the spaghetti straps
Old 11-10-07, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
About how hot it was in Chicago in November... wasn't that the point? The whole "Global Warming" thing. If you look back at the last couple of years.. the weather has been extreme in many areas. I think they were trying to make a point that it's not supposed to be hot in November in Chicago .. and yet, it was.
Kinda ties in with the 'green week' thing.
Yeah. Law & Order had a "Yo, Ice-T, recycle that pizza box!" scene this week, too.
Old 11-10-07, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nateman241
When Chuny said, “I remember when Dr. Green and Dr. Ross where interns” and Sam said “Who?” that pretty much summed up ER today.

Did anyone see Abby smack Sam in the ass in the bar? That was the highlight of the episode!

Terrible episode, but sadly it’s been one of the best episodes of the season so far. They’ve completely ruined Stanley Tucci’s character (Moretti) and from the bits of his life we’ve seen so far, I don’t get why he’d take advantage of Abby when he knows she’s already married. Abby’s “crawling back into the bottle” storyline has just been horribly written and the only thing that selvages it from being one of the worst storyline’s in ERs history, Maura Tierney’s performance. She’s a hot drunk also.

Like lordwow said, ER has become completely unwatchable compared to when it was in its prime. Thank goodness I have seasons 1-7 on DVD. I really hope this is the last season of ER and in some (I don’t know how they’ll do it now) way they make the series finale episode good and at least give the show a somewhat respectable ending.

I mean, when the highlight of an episode is Abby smacking Sam in the ass and Sam wearing that t-shirt that was “wet” because it was hot, it’s time to end the show. Plus apparently they don’t even bother to do the show in “real time” anymore. It’s never that hot in November in Chicago.
I can't see how they could do an ending I would appreciate unless they go out and revisit a lot of the characters in a "Where they are now" style. I could really care less about Carter now that he's out in Africa (bleh), but it'd be nice to see something with Ross, Benton, etc, though really unlikely.
Old 11-10-07, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Although I agree that the show isn't as good as it used to be, Im not so nostalgic about the older years... I don't think Benton was a very good character, and Clooney as Ross got real tiresome with his holier than thou crusades each week, and I never liked Weaver. I do miss Greene, Carter, and Romano though.

The biggest issue with the show now for me, isn't necessarily the characters (with the exception of Uncle Jessie and Morreti, I can't stand both), but the fact that they keep recycling the same story lines on the show.

But drunk Abby was hot and Sam looked pretty good as well, so I guess Ill keep watching
Old 11-10-07, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
they keep recycling the same story lines on the show.

But drunk Abby was hot and Sam looked pretty good as well, so I guess Ill keep watching
So its ok to recycle Abby the drunk but not
the rest of characters?

Anyways...When I heard the baby crying it
brought back the Susan Lewis years with
her druggie/skank sister.

The positives for this season have been
some very nice Laura Ceron eps and they gave
a little shout out to Jerry (men in trees),
that he was up in Alaska a few eps back.

But yes...Its not that good anymore. Just OK.
Old 11-10-07, 09:16 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts
I always thought it would have been nice of Clooney to made a small appearance at the Mark Green funeral scene...
Old 11-10-07, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
I always thought it would have been nice of Clooney to made a small appearance at the Mark Green funeral scene...
I will definitely have to agree with this. Back when I was still watching the show (it's gotten to the sporadic point of one or two episodes a season), and the funeral was taking place, I always felt like it would have been nice to see a brief glimpse of Ross, seeing as the characters were as close as they were.
Old 11-10-07, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Well, at least we got Benton...
Old 11-10-07, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by btlives
So its ok to recycle Abby the drunk but not
the rest of characters?
Not at all... Alcoholic Abby is the worst part of the show this season imo.