Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Kid Nation--"The Root Of All Evil"--10/31/07

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-07, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'll join the fun and say that taylor will win a gold star. it's bound to happen.

she's also from my father's hometown of sylvester, ga. has anyone else noticed that about 1/4 of all the kids are from georgia? it's crazy. home state represents.
Old 11-03-07, 12:08 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I vote Taylor won't get a gold star. I don't think she cars about the money being that her parents are rich and spoil her. The only way she will get the gold star is if she performs "favors". At this point...it might happen.
Old 11-05-07, 07:09 AM

Taylor will not win a gold star: 6
Taylor will Win a gold star: 2 (me)

You know, I've been thinking. Taylor is in all these beauty competitions right? And from pictures that have been posted here it looks like she's won at least the one. Her talent may be totally kickass. She could win this week because everyone else's talent is going to be some dumb shit like belching the ABCs or something equally stupid. I may just win this bet sooner rather than later . You're on the right team TL wizard
Old 11-05-07, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

No way Taylor gets a gold star, I think they all hate her to much to give it to her, no matter how good/bad she is.
Old 11-05-07, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, judging by the now 30 responses maybe someone should start a separate thread each week for Kid Nation!

Chris
Old 11-05-07, 01:07 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Still enjoying this show. The Talent Show this week looks like it could be fun.
Old 11-05-07, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SpaceBoy
No way Taylor gets a gold star, I think they all hate her to much to give it to her, no matter how good/bad she is.
I think Zach's ego would never allow it. There's this battle of wills between those two and I think something drastic would have to happen for Zach to ever budge an inch on Taylor.

Like I wrote before, Taylor won't win the traditional way. She definitely has a chance if they give one out for best performance in a talent show.
Old 11-05-07, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by the big train
I think Zach's ego would never allow it. There's this battle of wills between those two and I think something drastic would have to happen for Zach to ever budge an inch on Taylor.

Like I wrote before, Taylor won't win the traditional way. She definitely has a chance if they give one out for best performance in a talent show.
Maybe it will be like in the real Old West and they give rotten out tomatoes to the crowd to voice their displeasure with the acts!

Chris
Old 11-07-07, 11:08 PM

Another good show tonight. Many of these kids are pretty talented. And it was good to see 3 or 4 new kids showcased, though not always in the best light!

And Laurel had an 'amazing' singing voice at the town hall meeting. I wouldn't be surprised if she gets a recording contract.

Though, I'll say it again, the last 2 weeks have not been as entertaining as the previous weeks because they haven't been focusing on Taylor's 'diva' behavior!

Chris
Old 11-07-07, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
Though, I'll say it again, the last 2 weeks have not been as entertaining as the previous weeks because they haven't been focusing on Taylor's 'diva' behavior!
I think the boy smell poisoning has taken away her edge.
Old 11-08-07, 10:09 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It was kind of funny seeing several kids we hadn't heard from at all. As much as we see Blaine (Greg's sidekick), we never hear from him. Divad sure is getting a bad edit. It's not that they're showing her comments out of context, just that they're showing them at all.
Old 11-08-07, 03:28 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Who here hopes that Kid Nation comes back for a second season?
Old 11-08-07, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I do, but I hope they change the concept quite a bit.

I don't want there to be a weekly theme where the producers use the kids to deliver some message (no stupid Pioneer Journal). I want the kids to have more control over the workings of the town, including establishing their own laws and enforcement mechanisms.

No more arbitrary class system. Have them figure out their own economy and use the showdowns for something else.
Old 11-08-07, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
Who here hopes that Kid Nation comes back for a second season?

I really don't think what has happened to the kids was as bad as all the naysayers made it out to be in the beginning.

We are seeing some (not all) pretty mature kids who give me hope that when I'm 70 and they are our future leaders that we won't be too screwed!

Chris
Old 11-09-07, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No seperate thread this week?

It was alright...

I wonder who dreamed up a showdown making a photo using chewed gum.

Anyone catch what the photo was supposed to be of?

Kennedy, Migle (what kind of name is that?) and Natasha were all new to me. I don't remember them being mentioned before.

I was so glad for the green district, they so deserved upper class. And finally, Taylor has to be a laborer.

Notice how the green district has half of the gold stars, and yellow has none?

Green and yellow are the 'short' districts, only 9 kids in each instead of 10.

I'm surprised at Divad, she wants a gold star so bad, yet she doesn't deserve it.

I noticed that every week, there seems to be a discussion among the council about 3 possibilities for a gold star, this week it was Kennedy, Olivia, and Divad, last week it was Nathan, Divad, and Pharoah.

The only week it seems like they didn't talk about 3 possibilities was the time that DK won, he seemed the unanimous choice then.

And one kid voted for Sophia, even though she already won once... Can someone win twice? Can the council give it to one of their own? I really think Laurel deserves one.

I'm really glad the episodes are online, I only get one Wednesday off a month.
Old 11-09-07, 09:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JP5683
Anyone catch what the photo was supposed to be of?
It looked to be a horse, in a field or pasture. The red bits were the body.

Originally Posted by JP5683
I'm surprised at Divad, she wants a gold star so bad, yet she doesn't deserve it.
She's real good at blowing her own horn. Definately the Oprah of the group.
Old 11-09-07, 12:11 PM

If I recall correctly, the furor before the season included one parent that said their child was burnt from grease. Wasn't that Divad that got burnt? Maybe she never gets a gold star and this is her family's way and getting even.
Old 11-09-07, 02:11 PM

There are some great kids on this show - Laurel is my favorite. It is good to be reminded that among all the mediocre people of all ages, there are still great people being turned out by some parents out there.
Old 11-09-07, 02:19 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TeamAnS
If I recall correctly, the furor before the season included one parent that said their child was burnt from grease. Wasn't that Divad that got burnt? Maybe she never gets a gold star and this is her family's way and getting even.
You're correct. I re-read an article that was published before the first episode and Divad's mom said she wouldn't let her daughter do it again.

Originally Posted by lucasorion
There are some great kids on this show - Laurel is my favorite. It is good to be reminded that among all the mediocre people of all ages, there are still great people being turned out by some parents out there.
There have been a lot of moments this season where you go "Wow, that kid is wise beyond their years!"
Old 11-09-07, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by lucasorion
Given the overall temperament she has shown so far I imagine Laurel's parents know that she is a good kid but it must be a great feeling for them to see that on television.

I would like to think that Taylor's parents would be ashamed of her antics but I am probably not going too far out on a limb with my guess that "the apple does not fall far from the tree."
Old 11-09-07, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by wishbon3
Given the overall temperament she has shown so far I imagine Laurel's parents know that she is a good kid but it must be a great feeling for them to see that on television.

I would like to think that Taylor's parents would be ashamed of her antics but I am probably not going too far out on a limb with my guess that "the apple does not fall far from the tree."
Oh, I'm pretty sure Taylor's parents are clueless as to her behavior because they are the ones that taught her to be that way.

Originally Posted by Jim
You're correct. I re-read an article that was published before the first episode and Divad's mom said she wouldn't let her daughter do it again.
I'd like to speak on behalf of the American public and say we don't want Divad on again.

If this show does get renewed for a couple of more seasons, it would be great to have a Kid Nation All Star edition and see some of these kids come back when they are older. Of course the older ones right now would be too old.

But wouldn't it be great to see a 14 year old Taylor as a total beyotch diva?

Chris
Old 11-10-07, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My husband at first opposed the show, but now he enjoys it as much as I do. I think my favorite is the quirky Jared. He has the best sound bites. I love how he embraces his weirdness.

As for the cutest, I think that Alex is freakin ADORABLE with that one big tooth in front. Everytime he comes on the show I sigh with a "awwww!" And he's so SWEET too!

Last edited by mosquitobite; 11-10-07 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-10-07, 10:59 AM

I fear for Jared's teen years though - could be rough.
Old 11-14-07, 11:06 PM

Excellent editing this episode. I found myself close to tears on a couple of ocassions, especially at the end when the young girl went home. Even Taylor, her best friend broke down.

And that rock carrying contest really was intense. They were so close to getting a good reward (beds), but they didn't push themselves enough.

And Blaine really shined by being moved to a different team.

And the ending where 4 people said they wanted to run for council was great. Next weeks episode looks like it could be very explosive.

I have to say again that most of these kids really impress me with their 'adult' behavior. I really thought that most of these kids would not take these 40 days seriously and just have fun, but they really want Bonanza to work.

I really hope this gets a second season next fall.

What does everyone else think about tonights episode and the possibility of a 2nd season?

Chris
Old 11-15-07, 01:28 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I felt bad for Sanjay - the way Olivia was ruthlessly mocking him and Greg was threatening to punch him in the face.

BUT:

If an all-new council gets elected, we could get:

Greg, Blaine, Michael, and DJ - and THAT would be very interesting.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.