NBC is developing a spin-off of The Office

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-31-07, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are out of Original ideas

NBC is developing a spin-off of The Office.

new characters will be introduced on a special episode of The Office, however, none of the original Office stars are expected to transition over to the new show.

Exclusive: NBC Planning Major Office Expansion!

The Office by Justin Lubin/NBC Universal PhotoIf imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, NBC may be about to pay a major compliment to Grey's Anatomy. Multiple sources confirm to me exclusively that the Peacock is developing an episode of The Office that would introduce several new characters who would then be spun off into a new series ŗ la Private Practice.

However, unlike Practice, which stole Grey's regular Kate Walsh to anchor the new series, the proposed Office 2 is not expected to include any of the mother ship's core cast. In fact, producers are already casting about for a "name" to headline the potential show.

So, your thoughts on whom the star should be? A downsized Jim Carrey? The underrated Ed "Al Bundy" O'Neill, past due for a comeback? Mike Myers, set loose weekly in a blue-collar playground? And should NBC really go through with this plan, or is one Office a week enough? Sound off below! And then vote in our poll!

Leave a Comment
TVGuide Links:

The Office
Old 10-31-07, 01:55 PM

I saw the casting call for this in variety. "Actors must be prepared to drive into a lake for no apparent reason whatsoever".
Old 10-31-07, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't see how this will be successful. Yeah, The Office gets OK ratings for NBC (especially the 18-49 demo), but I don't think this thing will get past one season (if it ever actually happens).
Old 10-31-07, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
I can't see how this will be successful. Yeah, The Office gets OK ratings for NBC (especially the 18-49 demo), but I don't think this thing will get past one season (if it ever actually happens).
I just think that theyíre looking for a replacement for Scrubs once it goes off the air at the end of this season.

I know that technically The Office (US) isnít a remake but an ďAmericanizedĒ version of The Office (UK) but face it, itís a remake.

Iíve been seeing some posts about how the 1 hour episodes of The Office (US) dragged and 20 minutes (30 w/commercials) is better. NBC wanted to turn The Office into a 1 hour show for the 08-09 PTTV season, didnít they?

Only thing I have to say, That 80's Show, Officinized.
Old 10-31-07, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

He's not a "name" but if they could ever get Ron Livingston to create a clone of the Peter Gibbons character 10 years later, and stick him in Dunder Mifflin then spin it off... my head would simply explode with joy.
Old 10-31-07, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by bravesmg
He's not a "name" but if they could ever get Ron Livingston to create a clone of the Peter Gibbons character 10 years later, and stick him in Dunder Mifflin then spin it off... my head would simply explode with joy.
I could get behind that idea
Old 10-31-07, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
In fact, producers are already casting about for a "name" to headline the potential show.
How about "Craptacular".

Originally Posted by bravesmg
They should be hiring YOU to come up with new shows. "He's not a 'name'"? As I recall he was the star of Standoff last season - granted it got cancelled, but just about 85% of what FOX airs gets canned in under 12 episodes.

This is a terrible, terrible idea if only because it will reak of bad scripts. How is the WGA going to get their demands met when they can't crank out anything worth a crap? A cruddy concept like this could be gold if the writing is there (see oddball concepts My Name Is Earl and Arrested Development).
Old 10-31-07, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Groucho
I saw the casting call for this in variety. "Actors must be prepared to drive into a lake for no apparent reason whatsoever".

you cant just let this go, can you?
Old 10-31-07, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

NBC this year has done every possible thing wrong it can as a network, so this kind of terrible decision should now come to be expected.
Old 10-31-07, 02:51 PM

i remember when a lot of successful shows started out as spin-offs and some non-successful ones as well. i am glad they are trying it, whether they fail or succeed. this was just about the norm in the late 70s and 80s.
Old 10-31-07, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The best guy for the job is already on 30 Rock.
Old 10-31-07, 03:03 PM
tpc

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
The best guy for the job is already on 30 Rock.
Really? I can't see Tracy Morgan in that role
Old 10-31-07, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
i remember when a lot of successful shows started out as spin-offs and some non-successful ones as well. i am glad they are trying it, whether they fail or succeed. this was just about the norm in the late 70s and 80s.
But NBC has already proven they can't do spin-offs well either (see Joey which dragged on for almost 2 seasons). And technically this wouldn't be a spin-off but more of a paste-in crossover. New characters show up in an existing show so they can be introduced to an existing audience who might not normally watch the new show. Stupid idea. Even if it works and the show kept 100% of the audience, the numbers The Office is pulling right now still wouldn't make it a hit.

Last edited by rfduncan; 10-31-07 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-31-07, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I realize that a lot of shows have had spin-offs, but doesn't that usually happen due to the popularity of the characters that are spun-off? I.e., I wouldn't think they normally introduce characters solely for the purpose of spinning them off. Are am I wrong?

*Edit* I see RFDuncan has mentioned pretty much what I'm saying here.

Last edited by andicus; 10-31-07 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-31-07, 03:46 PM

I honestly don't consider shows like this a spin-off. When you use a very successful series to just spring-board another totally unrelated show it just seems wrong. Like "Melrose Place" and "90210" have NOTHING to do with one another except, Jake was on "90210" for two episodes the May before "Melrose Place" premiered. Same with "Young Americans" and "Dawson's Creek."
Old 10-31-07, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They should make a version that takes place at a Staples.
Old 10-31-07, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How about "The Orifice" a show that takes place at the proctologist office?
Old 10-31-07, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Was there a British spin-off?
Old 10-31-07, 04:39 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I could see it working if it is a similar comedy/mockumentary style but a *completely* different work setting. Maybe they could do a restaurant show set in a Chili's or something? Maybe that's too close to the movie Waiting, but I think it could be done. It would also be really easy to tie in to The Office.
Old 10-31-07, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588
Was there a British spin-off?
No. At least not that I've ever heard of...
Old 10-31-07, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds kind of lame, but to be honest - I'd probably watch it.

They could do a spin-off w/ Jan, but I am enjoying her travails w/ Michael too much to see her go off on her own.
Old 10-31-07, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would watch the Ryan show, as long as they didn't try to make him more likable.
Old 10-31-07, 05:19 PM
Banned

Call me crazy but I think that the characters of Stanley, Kevin & Creed could carry a show as long as it was well written and not sit-com-y and laugh-track-y.
Old 10-31-07, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They already introduced a whole new cast of characters and Andy's the only one left (thankfully - he's one of my favorites). Seems like they should have done it then.
Old 10-31-07, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Could this be why
Spoiler:
Rashida Jones
is coming back this week?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.