DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   My Name Is Earl 10/18/07 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/514845-my-name-earl-10-18-07-a.html)

B.A. 10-19-07 03:28 PM

It was worth it for Crabman.

Please respect the meat!

movieking 10-19-07 08:12 PM

I fell asleep watching this episode, something that I never do while watching Earl. Definitely not a good episode, but I'm glad that they still are trying new things creatively.

madcougar 10-19-07 09:09 PM

Wow. This episode was a train wreck and I really thought this season had seen a real improvement in quality.

slop101 10-20-07 03:03 PM

huh... I thought this was one of the better episodes of the whole series. But then again, I'm not a huge fan of the show to begin with, so I appreciate concepts out of left-field that mix things up, like this episode did. Different strokes, I guess.

Bronkster 10-20-07 04:30 PM

I liked it, in that it cracked me up. I'm surprised (no I'm not) by the number of comments against it.

Finisher 10-20-07 05:10 PM

Well, this was a love or hate episode; I loved it. I normally cannot stand Randy but they actually used his idiocy to their advantage here. Just some intentionally campy/ridiculous fun.

Hotblack 10-20-07 05:52 PM

I'm kind of surprised by all the hate, too. I thought this episode was brilliant and easily one of the best of the series.

milo bloom 10-20-07 10:19 PM

Loved this, everything was spot-on and it perfectly fit the overall prison arc. Catalina's bit was hilarious, and so spot on about the telenovella's.

Original Desmond 10-21-07 03:14 AM

this is obviously a love it or hate it episode, i hated it

rennervision 10-21-07 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
And I'm not sure but I think the guy in Catalina's fantasy is an actual spanish language soap opera star.

Yeah, he is. My wife is Puerto Rican and I recognize him from one of the soap operas she watches. (And Catalina's fantasy pretty much nailed how those shows look to me. :lol: )

Problem is, using a real Latino soap star is kind of like Randy's "Dr. Shrinker" reference. I feel priviledged that I get the joke, but I just don't think it's very funny.

This week's show really came across like they were totally bankrupt of ideas and just created something out of desperation with a deadline looming. (Kind of ironic, considering this episode was about creative writing and Earl having writer's block. Hmmm - it almost seems metaphorical when you look at it from the perspective of the show's creators running out of material.)

Afraid I'll have to side with the "worst episode ever" camp. But it certainly hasn't discouraged me from anxiously waiting for next week. I am enjoying the whole Earl-in-prison concept.

nateman 10-21-07 03:22 PM

I’m on the “Love It” side (read my earlier post in this thread) but I just was wondering, how long do you think Earl will stay on NBC.

I mean, it’s doing alright in the ratings but I don’t really see this show lasting 8 or 9 years. I see Earl lasting 5 seasons; at most.

I’m wondering what’s with all the hate for Earl too. Of course, I was wondering what was with all the hate for Scrubs last season & they’ll probably be a lot of hate for this season as well.

Don’t be a hater!

Lateralus 10-21-07 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by nateman241

Don’t be a hater!

I love Earl, but I hated this episode.

bigjim25 10-21-07 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
I had to turn this episode off, it was soooo stupid. I watch this every week and this was just pure crap!

They bumped :drool: Alyssa Milano's :drool: debut on Earl a week for this crap. -ohbfrank-
Crabman's singing was the only part that was funny in this episode, I quit watching it after 20 minutes to go take a dump. That was more entertaining. :lol:

stingermck 10-22-07 08:05 AM

Crabman singing, and Randy giving a neck break to Joy made it for me.

And +5 for ninja appearance!

CPA-ESQ. 10-22-07 08:55 AM

Put me in the LOVE catagory. Nice original idea. Crabman song was the best.

This is one of the few shows that run only 1/2 hour :thumbsup: other shows [cough] Office[/cough] do the overkill 1hr.

Xander 10-22-07 09:08 AM

I thought it was funny. Lots of good moments that added up to a good episode for me.

Goat3001 10-22-07 10:29 AM

I'm surprised no ones mentioned this gem of a line by Joy:

"No unfair is not being able to drink daquaris for 9 months and you kids still coming out lazy brained."

Had me rolling.

boc4ever 10-22-07 10:32 AM

I thought this episode was hilarious and a diversion from the prison storyline. My wife, who was born in 1976, did not get most of it. I think you really had to be a product of the 70's to truly appreciate the references.

I always appreciate it when a tv show goes off the predictable path and does something different. For example, I loved the Moonlighting "Taming of the Shrew" episode, so this was right up my alley.

I do tend to agree that it is time for Earl to get out of prison and back to the list.

paradicelost 10-22-07 12:20 PM

I loved half of it and didn't care for the rest. Joy's story was great, and the ninjas in Randys were great too. My least favorite episode of the last two years, but still not bad.

Count Dooku 10-22-07 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Lokimok
I won't swear to it (I didn't record it so I can't check), but it seemed there was at least one shot of an obvious double for Randy during his story. If so, that's genius & as good as the HD jokes in season 1.

Actually, it looks like they just put Ethan S. in a bad wig so it would look like they were using a double, which is geniuser.

Big Boy Laroux 10-23-07 11:00 AM

did the hot cheerleader chicks during Randy's story show up in the SD showing? That would be a nice HD add - as they were at the very edges of the screen.

Groucho 10-23-07 11:02 AM

SD is letterboxed, so yes.

islandclaws 10-23-07 02:29 PM

This one was pretty funny, but not side-splitting like I usually expect. Randy's story was the best by far. I actually fast-forwarded through Crabman's since it sounded so terrible. I know the idea has been to give Earl a new locale to play off of, but they need to get him out of jail asap. It's getting a bit stale.

Pointyskull 10-24-07 08:36 AM

Put me in the "love it" camp.

Randy's segment was terrific, kind of like a drunken 10-year-old on acid, what with H.R. and a puppet sniper.

I cracked up repeatedly throughout the whole ep.

"World's Best God" :lol:
I have to get a coffee mug like that....

LorenzoL 11-24-07 02:39 PM

I'm clearing up my PVR and I have to say that this episode was worth it for the Crabman music video alone. I didn't think this was the show's worst episode.