DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   My Name Is Earl 10/18/07 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/514845-my-name-earl-10-18-07-a.html)

Patman 10-19-07 07:47 AM

My Name Is Earl 10/18/07

Anyone else see last night's episode? It was rather nutty in a good way as we moved from one vignette to another vignette (of varying effectiveness) for the characters with Earl trying to solve his writing block issue. It was out of the ordinary and kinda fun.

CreamyGoodness 10-19-07 07:55 AM

Wow, is no one talking about this show anymore...?

I love the show - Own the DVDs, but I have to say that this was not a good episode. In fact, I would say it's been an interesting diversion, but I'm ready for Earl to get out of prison.

invisiblegt 10-19-07 07:56 AM

It was not "bad" per se, but nor was it done in a manner that I would call "good."

However, this episode (and this season in particular) is the reason why I find myself enjoying Earl more and more. Their ability to take the conventional aspect of the show, and retool it into something which is both familiar and unconventional in it's overall feel.

Oh, and this time... trouble's in trouble!

Charlie Goose 10-19-07 07:58 AM

Jigga Jigga Jigga PINCH

cdollaz 10-19-07 08:13 AM

Worst episode of the series. Randy and Darnell's dreams were painful.

yojimbo44 10-19-07 08:36 AM

agreed - not a great episode - gotta get earl out of prison and back to the list - although earl's line to randy "the doctor said your were born slightly artistic" had me spitting up coffee - oh, and joy as one of crabman's dancers :drool:

DVD Josh 10-19-07 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Worst episode of the series. Randy and Darnell's dreams were painful.

I have to agree. I actually fell asleep during the episode it was so boring. The only line I laughed at was when Earl said that Randy let him borrow his mustache.

boogieman03 10-19-07 08:58 AM

Wasn't real laugh out loud funny, but I didn enjoy the different stories the characters wrote.

Groucho 10-19-07 09:13 AM

Randy's story was more realistic and believable than any of the episodes of The Office this season.

Charlie Goose 10-19-07 09:24 AM

Gotta be careful not to have too many gimmick episodes. Once in a while is okay, but this was like an episode of The Monkees.

Red Dog 10-19-07 09:55 AM

Lame.

Lateralus 10-19-07 10:16 AM

I had to turn this episode off, it was soooo stupid. I watch this every week and this was just pure crap!

tofu 10-19-07 10:23 AM

I got some slight amusement out of Crabman's music video and the sideways dancing. But other than that, this episode was pretty forgettable.

Chrisedge 10-19-07 10:28 AM

I liked it...

tcoursen 10-19-07 10:33 AM

I was flipping back and forth between this and the Rutgers - South Florida game. I was completely lost. I gave up on this one.

I haven't really liked this season as much as the first two. I think they need to get Earl out of prison. It was OK for a few episodes, but I think that has run it's course. Definately didn't like when Randy was able to get a job at the prison.

dgmayor 10-19-07 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
I liked it...

Yeah, I thought it was hillarious and a nice change of pace. When I saw Randy and H.R. Puffandstuff, I just lost it.

Iron Chef 10-19-07 11:04 AM

I liked it a lot.

Sniper puppet FTW

nateman 10-19-07 11:19 AM

After re-watching season 2 via. DVD and catching up on the season 3 episode I’ve recorded (“My Name is Inmate #28301-016”-pts. 1 & 2, “The Gangs of Camden County” & “The Frank Factor”) I’ve finally caught up & I thought this episode was just as strong as the other this season.

I know from reading some of the other Earl threads (I’m not going to comment on all the episodes, because people will probably start bitching that there are too many Earl Threads on the first page) The whole, Earl in prison for this many episode is wearing thin, I disagree.

It’s nice to see a show take a chance & change the format (yet again) & go in a different direction. Yes, Randy as a prison guard is a little to unrealistic, but it’s not horrible. I’m glad the writers didn’t pussy out & make some story were Earl gets out of jail in the first few episodes, If they keep him in jail for 2 seasons (well, 1 season & every episode except maybe the final 5 eps. Of season 4, because he got five weeks off from Craig T. Nelson!) I’ll be very pleased, because they’ve; stuck with it.

I liked this episode as well & the guys “writing” sequences were pretty good. Crab Mans part was the best followed by Randy’s. Joys was alright & had some good moments. Catalina’s part was just plain awful & I found it one of the least-unfunny parts of Earl in the shows run thus far. Earl thinking of that gymnastic guy was pretty good & the part were he stole everyone else’s Ideas & had that dress on, was pretty funny.

Not much love for Earl here, But I think it’s been great this season, so far and next to 30 Rock, this is the one show I look forward to the most. I look forward to all the shows I watch, but Earl & 30 Rock are the ones I just love. I’m looking forward to Scrubs but I’m a little worried that its final season isn’t going to be a knock-out season.

maingon 10-19-07 12:26 PM

wow, the hate for this episode, I liked it, I thought Randys story was pretty funny.

not as good as last weeks, (which was one of the best of the series)

I am happy Earl isnt working on his list, That started getting boring last season. I really like this season so far. Its been my favorite of the show.

When he works on the list the episodes are way to predictable and were getting very boring.

Deftones 10-19-07 12:33 PM

I thought it was kind of cool.

MrBlonde83 10-19-07 12:34 PM

south park did it!

...kinda

Cellar Door 10-19-07 01:46 PM

I liked it.

Randy's fantasy, especially, was hilarious. From H.R. Puffnstuff to the orangutan driver. It was awesome--one of my favorite bits they've ever done.

And I'm not sure but I think the guy in Catalina's fantasy is an actual spanish language soap opera star.

Crabman's video was entertaining.

I didn't find Joy's cartoon that great except for one part:

"World's Best God"

rotfl

Gunde 10-19-07 01:48 PM

Really embarassing. What the hell were they thinking!?

Lokimok 10-19-07 02:01 PM

While it didn't all work for me, I really appreciated the attempt at something so unusual - & that the surprise wasn't ruined for me. The reveal of H.R. Pufnstuf & the sniper puppet pretty much had me howling. I won't swear to it (I didn't record it so I can't check), but it seemed there was at least one shot of an obvious double for Randy during his story. If so, that's genius & as good as the HD jokes in season 1. Also liked the dancing villain at the end.

I thought Catalina's Univision/Telemundo style soap was hilarious - with "Tears for Fears" the stand out.

Pretty good Looney Tunes homage too.

DoubleDownAgain 10-19-07 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness
but I'm ready for Earl to get out of prison.

Me too.