Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Office - "Money" (10/18/07)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-07, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Ryan used me as an object" (best line of the night)
"Women be shoppin'"
"I don't have monkey problems"
"I didn't say it I declared it"
"I wouldn't wish that upon my own worst enemy and that includes you"

some great lines/moments from tonight but overall I thought it was the weakest episode of the season ... dragged down by a slow first 1/2 hr
I really am not a huge fan of taking the office out of the office for extended periods of time
Old 10-18-07, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Jan was great, particularly towards the end when she was complaining about her implants.
Old 10-18-07, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by B.A.
Jan was great, particularly towards the end when she was complaining about her implants.
That was a great little bit at the end.
Old 10-18-07, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WallyOPD
That was a great little bit at the end.
that's what she said
Old 10-18-07, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loved the episodes this week. I laughed for a good 5 minutes when Michael was in awe with the laptop and his name on top of the powerpoint slide.
Old 10-18-07, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm a bit puzzled that this episode didn't seem like two loosely connected episodes with an obvious syndication break, but I liked the episode. It moved a little slowly, but it felt like it moved our characters forward while giving us some good lines here and there. It's my second favorite of the hour long episodes.
Old 10-18-07, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought this episode was actually pretty depressing. They all need to cheer up.
Old 10-18-07, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,210 Likes on 2,071 Posts
My favorite episode of the season so far. For the first time the hour seemed to be cohesive and not 2 half hours back-to-back.

While there weren't a lot of laugh out loud moments everything seemed to work just right.
Pam and Jim's first getaway.
Jim's heart to heart with Dwight in the stairwell.
Michael and Ryan butting heads again.
Andy and Angela.
The whoever/whomever debate

I though it was all fantastic.

Originally Posted by maingon
Whats up with NBC promoting the bee movie? these promos are awful and not funny.
The one with Matthew Broderick made me laugh. "Jerry, I was going to take my kids to this movie."
Old 10-18-07, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had the same problem, maingon. I knew I was in trouble when they pre-empted Earl to show us the Doppler Radar for an hour. Thankfully we only missed the opening and about five minutes in the middle, but between that and the constant weather graphics, it was hard to get in the groove.

Anyway, this was more dramatic than previous episodes, although they seem to be going with more of that this season. I don't have a problem with that. It keeps the characters growing and as long as the storytelling remains solid, I have no problems with the dramatics spliced with the humor.
Old 10-18-07, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Definitely the best episode of the season so far, maybe even of last too... it was fresh, they finally didn't structure an episode around some kind of plot / gimmick and just let the characters interact. Hope Toby wrote some other episodes.
Old 10-18-07, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The arguement in the meeting room over word usage was one of the funniest bits the cast has ever done. Everyone played their role perfectly.
Old 10-18-07, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by CloverClover
they finally didn't structure an episode around some kind of plot / gimmick and just let the characters interact. Hope Toby wrote some other episodes.
I more or less agree with you. It definitely helped not having a 'way over-the-top' Michael moment in this one. Some parts definitely had the feel of the classic Office of old to me - Jim and Dwight in the stairwell, Michael clowning around with his co-workers at his second job. And a few low-key humorous bits, like the Oscar and Michael bankruptcy conversation. Those are all small moments that worked, like the better shows of the older seasons were built around.

That is all probably a result of having Paul Lieberstein write this episode, with his long time close familiarity with the show. I honestly don't know if the show has been using the same writers over the better part of the last season plus this year, but for the most part I haven't been too keen on the quality of some of the writing, plot directions, character development, etc. versus that in the first couple of seasons. Lately, it has often felt to me like the tone of the writing has been off quite a bit.
Old 10-18-07, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doughboy
So any predictions for what dumb move Michael will make in the last 20 minutes of tonight's episode?
Bolting for a train in order to escape his problems and become a hobo. . . does that count?

---

Man, just when I was starting to actively hate these hour-long episodes, they go and do this one, and now it's back to thirty-minute shows. Easily the best episode of the year so far.

PowerPoint meeting was the highlight, by a mile. Liked the PB&J/Dwight stuff, too.
Old 10-18-07, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MWB
Bolting for a train in order to escape his problems and become a hobo. . . does that count?
Yes. For this viewer, at least.
Old 10-18-07, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What I really love is the way they show Michael outside the workplace. In opposition to David Brent, he's likable, friendly, and just one of those guys who knows a lot about everything. One of the saddest moments in the episode is when the other manager hung up on Michael's call on him. You could just tell he was on the verge of making a sale like he's done so many times before (ala "The Client").

I think it really helps us understand Michael as a character who's been promoted one step too far, and he's really out of his element as a manager, but he's not a crummy person, and in fact is a pretty interesting and cool person to hang around with, but he's not the person you want running your company.
Old 10-18-07, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MWB
Yeah, that was a bit silly, but since it wasn't so wildly outlandish as some of the other recent Michael moments, I guess I was a little more willing to overlook it.
Old 10-18-07, 11:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BlackCapTen
I laughed for a good 5 minutes.
That's what she said.
Old 10-18-07, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
The best bit was Kelly talking about how complicated Daryl was because nobody says exactly what they are thinking.
Old 10-19-07, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow, I was really impressed by this episode. I could definitely see this one being up for an Emmy. They did something that they couldn't have done in the British series: have the characters evolve and interact in ways that you can only do after you've known them for several years. I loved Michael being the bad boy at his other job and the stuff between him and Jan at the end on the train was just great. I was so worried that they were going to make her into some unlikeable bitch.
Old 10-19-07, 12:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sex Fiend
I guess I was a little more willing to overlook it.
That's what she said.
Old 10-19-07, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lordwow
The arguement in the meeting room over word usage was one of the funniest bits the cast has ever done. Everyone played their role perfectly.
That was a great bit and I don't know why but Michael actually pointing during "Powerpoint" had me in stiches.
Old 10-19-07, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
I'm a bit puzzled that this episode didn't seem like two loosely connected episodes with an obvious syndication break, but I liked the episode. It moved a little slowly, but it felt like it moved our characters forward while giving us some good lines here and there. It's my second favorite of the hour long episodes.
There was still a fairly strong break halfway through. The first half was mainly about Michaels second job and Pam and Jim out at the beet farm. The second half had Michael's bankruptcy and Andy's wooing of Angela. I imagine the syndication break would come right after Michael walked out of the call center after quitting.
Old 10-19-07, 02:30 AM

Finally, a great episode. Nothing was bad in it, every part was just fantastic....this is the best so far in the season.

And I think it has the best ending in the whole series.

but I'm sad, I kind got used too the 1 hour episodes.......but no more.
Old 10-19-07, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When Dwight pulled out the ruler and pushed Jim's suff aside, I let out a nice "DWIGHT'S BACK!!!"
Old 10-19-07, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by tofu
That was a great bit and I don't know why but Michael actually pointing during "Powerpoint" had me in stiches.
Poor Toby again; trying to be helpful only to be told by Michael to stick a letter opener in his skull.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.