Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Boston Legal: ACLU 10/16/07

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-07, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Boston Legal: ACLU 10/16/07

You can certainly see how David E. Kelley shows only last so long. What a long rut that started long ago. I don't mind the occasional DEK rant, but now it is every week. I don't really mind the point he is making, but I am tiring of tuning in to see him just make the same POV every week. Mix it up a little, man! I think 75% of their cases must be pro bono or having somone sue the government.

This show is going down. If it just continues like this, just let Denny die and go out with his death and the show's death. OR....make the show interesting again by making Denny Denny again. Quit making him just a loser. Let him shine in court. Those have been the best episodes. When he is written off and displays genius without ever losing his character, the show is one of the best.

But instead we get Denny slowly becoming like minded with Alan on everything. Their strength was their enduring friendship despite their vast differences of opinion.

Man, this is just becoming crap.

Anyone disagree?
Old 10-17-07, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Might agree eventually. Still on the first season of BL.
Old 10-17-07, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
I don't think there are more DEK rants now than before. It's simply that the show isn't as good as it used to be. Now, yes, part of that is how they have handled Denny's character.

I actually thought last week's episode with the cock-fighting case bet was a really funny episode.

I'm at least glad that they addressed (albeit half-heartedly) the state court issue on the gay case because when Judge Namby Pamby walked into the courtroom, I immediately thought, how the fuck does a MA court have jurisdiction.

Like I've repeated said in these threads, DEK shows typically have a shelf-life of 4 years. Seems like this one is no different.
Old 10-17-07, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kvrdave
make the show interesting again by making Denny Denny again. Quit making him just a loser. Let him shine in court. Those have been the best episodes. When he is written off and displays genius without ever losing his character, the show is one of the best.
Amen. I don't tune in to watch the wacky antics of Clarence or to admire the umpteenth addition to the cast who'll be gone by the same time next year.

I tune in to watch Denny Crane.

And Alan. But mostly Denny Crane.
Old 10-17-07, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
I'm growing tired of the useless cast additions. Of the 3 females additions we've had thus far this season I really only have a feel for Kelly(?). Alan's girlfriend is a bore and not as hot as they pretend she is, and the new black girl introduced last night I doubt will make it till the end of the season.
Old 10-17-07, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Agreed. The lawyer added last night is a bitch and brings nothing to the show (so far) and the one Allan is nuts about is boring and that storyline is allready annoying. They could be giving that screen time to Laroquette. The stuff between him & Denny has been great so far. Also, I hope the translating nun isn't going to be a recurring character.
Old 10-17-07, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I still enjoy this show every week, as quirky as the characters are.
Old 10-17-07, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally Posted by NORML54601
Also, I hope the translating nun isn't going to be a recurring character.

I think that has been hilarious.
Old 10-17-07, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And it's about damn time Judge Poopiecock came back. He shouldn't be away for more than 2 episodes at atime.
Old 10-17-07, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed. I don't think we've gotten a "Denny Crane" in forever. Why can't we just focus on Alan, Denny, Shirley, and Sack? I don't care about any of the new lawyers, Clarence, Bethany, and Hands is OK in small doses.

I want to see Denny Crane, large and in charge. Less on the ranting. I love this show, but I'm starting to wonder if it's....well, you know.

TK
Old 10-17-07, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk God

I think the last time Denny showed any "life" was when he and Alan were in New Orleans, and he wasn't even the lead. But he was still brilliant.

Why pay guys like Shatner, Laroquette, Bergen, and Spader if you are just going to give most of the time to the scrubs?
Old 10-17-07, 06:49 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's hard to believe this show has only been on 4 seasons, given the cast turnover.

Of the new cast, Tara Summers (the British one) is the only one that stands out for me. Laroquette is being wasted so far, Saffron Burrows' plot line is sucking the fun out of Alan's character, and the new girl introduced last night seems like she's destined to disappear into the ether like Ryan Michelle Bathe and that young twerpy guy introduced at the same time whose name I can't remember.

And I definitely agree that we need Denny back to being simultaneously crazy and a genius in the courtroom.
Old 10-17-07, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Last night's episode was dull (with Henry Gibson being the highlight), but last week's Cock & Chiclets episode was hilarious - & funnier than anything on NBC's Thursday line-up.

I'm kind of used to newer worthless characters taking the place of older unnecessary characters. What's bugging me currently is the immediate reuse of clients. 2 weeks in a row!
Old 10-17-07, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Good point. The show just doesn't evolve. I keep waiting for something that will actually have me excited to see the next one, but it is just the same old crap.
Old 10-17-07, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by kvrdave
But instead we get Denny slowly becoming like minded with Alan on everything. Their strength was their enduring friendship despite their vast differences of opinion.
I don't know if it's that Denny's "like minded". I think it's more that DEK isn't letting Denny voice his differing opinion as much.

Originally Posted by Timber
Alan's girlfriend is a bore and not as hot as they pretend she is
I thought it was just me. I mean, she's not horribly disfigured from birth, but still...
Old 10-18-07, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree, all the fun and magic of this show has been completely drained this season. None of the characters "feel" like they used to, but I'm especially annoyed at the direction Alan and Denny have each taken.

Two years ago, I wouldn't of said this, but the way this season is going: I'd be OK with it being the last.