Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fox cancels all "Buffy" screenings.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-07, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts
Originally Posted by gfoots
From reading the article, it sounds to me like FOX pulled its support because of contract issues with unions that produced these shows to be aired on television, not in theaters. I suspect there is some legal red-tape that would force them to pay the unions a larger amount of money than they are earning from these showings.
This 10/15 MTV.com article makes it clearer that gfoots is correct about the union involvement,
and if it's accurate it sort of lets FOX off the hook a bit.

The sing-alongs had been picking up steam since starting last year...
and the ticket price was an attempt to cover the cost of the materials and travel.
But although it was nominal, they were charging, which caused the Screen Actors Guild to sit up and take notice.
Last week, SAG sent 20th Century Fox Television a six-figure bill for unpaid actor residuals,
since Fox had been unaware on what scale the Buffyokes were taking place to begin with, it called Criterion, which had been given a license to exhibit "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and had in turn given McClung permission to mount the shows.
Fox's response was to revoke the license.
Here's a link to the article

The article says that a possible solution is for them to stop charging admission and just take voluntary donations.
This sounds great from the POV of someone in the audience
But the people mounting the show are traveling all over the US, and this seems like a sketchy way to run a business.
Old 10-18-07, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it's just an issue of dollars and cents, Fox should just negotiate an appropriate license with the business and the business should adjust its price. Would the tickets be prohibitively expensive? I'd imagine not.
Old 10-18-07, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fox should just sponsor the events because they are a great way to promote DVD sales and related merchandise. Get people in the door and sell them stuff.