Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

I need TV DVD Recommendations to lose weight!!

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-07, 02:40 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just about finished Buffy the Chosen Collection and need some more recommendations. I'm using these discs to keep my mind off the pointless mundanity of exercise on my treadmill and have lost 8kg so far with Buffy!! I've got the UK Angel collection to watch next, then Firefly but then I'm tapped out of shows.

I have Simpsons Seasons 4-8 but I've seen these so many times that they won't hold my attention. What I need are shows that I haven't seen (much like Buffy & Angel which I bought having seen very few episodes)

I've seen the occasional Lost & Prison Break but became frustrated by the slow pacing and glacial plot development, Law & order annoys me (I just don't get the US justice system) so what can you recommend?

Heroes sounds interesting - would I like it, what about Alias and Dark Angel?

Any advice would be gratefully accepted

Cheers

Martin

Last edited by idjit dragon; 10-09-07 at 02:48 AM.
Old 10-09-07, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by idjit dragon
I've just about finished Buffy the Chosen Collection and need some more recommendations. I'm using these discs to keep my mind off the pointless mundanity of exercise on my treadmill and have lost 8kg so far with Buffy!! I've got the UK Angel collection to watch next, then Firefly but then I'm tapped out of shows.

I have Simpsons Seasons 4-8 but I've seen these so many times that they won't hold my attention. What I need are shows that I haven't seen (much like Buffy & Angel which I bought having seen very few episodes)

I've seen the occasional Lost & Prison Break but became frustrated by the slow pacing and glacial plot development, Law & order annoys me (I just don't get the US justice system) so what can you recommend?

Heroes sounds interesting - would I like it, what about Alias and Dark Angel?

Any advice would be gratefully accepted

Cheers

Martin
I don't know which episodes of Prison Break you've seen, but while the show does get a lot of flak for various reasons (very few of which I actually agree with), one thing that I don't think anybody could fault it for is slow pacing. There's a TON of stuff that's happened in just the two seasons that it's been on the air.

Heroes starts out a bit slow, but it does pick up. I can't really recommend Heroes as a whole as of yet, as they haven't really had a chance to show that they know what they're doing beyond the first season. I thought the first season was pretty good, and while the first three episodes of the second season have been ok, it's hard to tell if they're just re-ramping up towards something big again or if they're just wandering around aimlessly.

Personally, I highly recommend both The Shield and Babylon 5. The Shield starts off good from the first episode and keeps on moving. Each season not only manages to build its plot on all the events that happened previously, but they've all managed to be better than the previous ones, which is amazing considering how awesome the show is. The show only has one more season left, and if it manages to continue the trend, then The Shield will probably have cemented itself as my favorite show ever.

Babylon 5 might or might not be your thing. In a lot of ways, it's like Buffy: A first season that really isn't all that hot on its own (and actually works better when re-watching it, since the characters change so much during the course of the series), a final season that's so-so (some good moments, some bad moments), but all the stuff in the middle being absolute gold. There've been a few threads on here from people who've just started B5 out, and it seems that every one of them follows the same trend of complaining about the acting/effects/etc in the first season (not all of it unwarranted, etiher), but absolutely gushing over the show once S2-4 roll around.
Old 10-09-07, 04:52 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Supernatural S1 & 2 available on DVD now. Should be good for at least another 10 pounds.
Old 10-09-07, 05:01 AM

Alias would be a good pick up. I flew through the 5 seasons. If you like sci-fi (you mentioned firefly), check out Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis. I'm assuming you've watched 24 also - thats somethings that has to be watched on dvd vs. tv.
Old 10-09-07, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb and recommend Smallville, if only because I doubt anyone else will mention it. Everyone always goes to the same well for threads like these, i.e. Babylon 5, Farscape, Battlestar Galactica, etc. So Smallville gets the nod from me. It gets a lot of flak for going all out for the premiers and finales then running dry during the season, but the first three seasons are great. As well as 5 & 6. If you get into the show, you can do a search about season 4. The leads are amazing, Tom Welling as Clark Kent and Michael Rosenbaum as Lex Luthor will make you wonder what the hell they were thinking making Superman Returns without 'em.

What about 24? Have you seen it? That is like crack right there. Much like Smallville, seasons 1-3 are great while 4 took a dive, and 5 got it back on track...briefly. For me, there has never been another show as addicting, especially if you are watching on DVD. For your situation, exercising and really wanting to pass the time, this is probably the best suggestion. Time melts away while watching this show. A problematic side effect would be that you end up watching it a whole lot more off the treadmill, leaving you with needing something new to watch on the treadmill.

Third and final suggestion, Friday Night Lights. I just got hooked last week and have burned through 18 episodes in one week. Some of the best characters on television. It doesn't matter if you are a fan of [american] football or not, as it is basically just the backdrop for the show. They play very little football in each episode.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 10-09-07 at 07:10 AM.
Old 10-09-07, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll reluctantly suggest Highlander. It's not a show I can say you'll love, but if you get into it, it's a solid 4 seasons worth of entertainment.

Scrubs is also something worth checking out.
Old 10-09-07, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Nip/tuck. Great show and the surgical scenes should help curb your appetite.
Old 10-09-07, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Only comedies get me through my workouts... for some reason I cant workout to anything I have to pay attention to or follow to closely, (lack of oxygen? lol) Anyway for that reason alone, scrubs or Seinfeld are my shows of choice...you can zone in on them and zone out without being any danger of being lost on a plot. I loved Alias but that was hard enough to follow during normal viewing.
Old 10-09-07, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I watch a lot of TV while I work out. I have an elliptical trainer and a Tivo in my basement and it really helps me keep up on my Tv shows.

I highly recommend Alias. That show is so fast-moving, I always found myself picking up the pace while I worked out to it.

I find procedurals are also good for working out: things like CSI, Without a Trace, etc. Basically anything that doesn't require too much thinking to follow the plot. I avoid the heavier dramas though.
Old 10-09-07, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Lost is incredibly involving but you have to start from the beginning. It isn't a show you can just jump into unfortunately.

That said, for working out, I've found sitcoms (30 Rock, How I Met Your Mother, etc; ) and "Funny Dramas" like House and Boston Legal work best.
Old 10-09-07, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Arrested Development.
Old 10-09-07, 04:27 PM

If you've enjoyed Buffy, you're going to love Veronica Mars.
Old 10-09-07, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
Arrested Development.

Not that I work out, but I can't imagine trying to watch that while I am doing anything else. You need to devote 100% attention to AD.
Old 10-09-07, 05:25 PM
Suspended

Firstly you gotta watch Veronica Mars. Then check out Alias and The Shield. As someone who likes Buffy and Angel you will LOVE Veronica Mars and you will dig Alias for awhile as well. I liked Dark Angel too, but go with the other shows first.

Watch Veronica Mars first if you dug the two greatest shows ever...Buffy & Angel.

Veroncia Mars (Buffy fans LOVE this one....trust that)
Freaks & Geeks
Heroes
Alias (arguably the best pilot episode ever and the first 2 seasons or so were like crack)
The Shield (great and gritty show)
Smallville (it has its flaws but it is almsot always entertaining)
24 (entertaining)
Nip/Tuck (So ridiculous, but very involving)
Dark Angel
Xena (if you like Buffy you might like this. It's silly and fun, but can get dark too)
Highlander (starts off rough, but gets better)
Hercules (sill fun)
Family Guy (one of the funniest shows ever...if you can't laugh at this you might need to ask yourself if you were born without a sense of humor or did you upbringing make you that way. )
Futurama (Great writing, stories and it's funny. I prefer this and FG to the Simpsons, which I also enjoy)
South Park
Drawn Together (like Family Guy in a way)
Battlestar Galactica (new series)
Malcolm in the Middle (really funny show)

Give Lost another shot. Watch from the very beginning. You GOTTA watch from the beginning. It's a great show and once you watch from the beginning I'll be you'll be hooked.
Old 10-09-07, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Frankly, I would rather save Lost for when I'm sitting down.

Scrubs is a great choice. I've found that to be a good time-killer - not too heavy or involving, yet entertaining enough. For me anyway, it's funny but not laugh-out-loud funny, which is better for a workout because laughing too hard might interfere (hence I would avoid South Park).
Old 10-10-07, 05:24 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks Heaps for all of the suggestions - I have to qualify my exercise regime though - I don't exactly workout!!, a leisurely walk (@6kmph) is the best that I can manage

I'll have to investigate Veronica Mars as I know absolutely nothing about it
Alias sounds good, as does Heroes. I haven't watched any 24 and I've never heard of the Shield (we're a bit slow here down under!!) - is this a cop show? Smallville - this is young Superman, yes?

I'm a little wary of cheesy SciFi so not sure where Stargate & Battlestar Galactica fit? - I have bad memories of the original Star Trek for example. The thing I love about Buffy is that it's quite dark and focuses on both the mythic battle and the personal drama

I'm afraid that Lost and Prison Break just don't do it for me - not sure why, they just seem to be mini-series dragged out interminably to make a maxi-series

Cheers

Martin
Old 10-10-07, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I haven't watched any 24
Well there you go. Time will virtually disappear while you are watching this show. I'd say start with 24.

- Smallville: yes, young Superman. Season 1 starts with Clark Kent as a freshman in high school. Each season is a new year, sophomore, junior & senior. Early on it is mostly about him discovering his abilities and using them for good. Seven seasons in and he still doesn't fly, nor has he taken on the Superman persona, i.e. costume or name.

- the Shield: gritty cop show. Think NYPD: Blue only 10x grittier.

- Alias: first season is amazing, I haven't moved from there because all I hear is that it gets substantially worse as the seasons go by.

- Heroes: great first season. I would say this isn't ideal for the treadmill. It's a show that needs your full attention.

- Stargate and Battlestar: Battlestar has a very serious overtone and SG-1 takes itself lightly, but I wouldn't say it's cheesy. The first season is rough to get through though as they were finding their footing on where to take the series.
Old 10-10-07, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What? No love for some X-Files?!?!? Also The Sopranos would be good too.
Old 10-10-07, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Veronica Mars and Lost are also shows that need some attention while watching so I am not sure they are good treadmill fodder. One of the strengths of Veronica Mars is its attention to continuity and the fact it doesn't assume the audience is dumb. Especially in season 2, you really need to pay close attention to what is going as there is so much happening and people from earlier episodes popping back up all the time.

Another show I like to watch while working out is The Unit.
Old 10-10-07, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

*Sigh*, another thread where nobody mentions the awesome Farscape. Please give it a try. Like many many shows, it starts out a little rocky but give it a chance, you'll be very glad you did.
Old 10-10-07, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Wolf359

*Sigh*, another thread where nobody mentions the awesome Farscape. Please give it a try. Like many many shows, it starts out a little rocky but give it a chance, you'll be very glad you did.
not true:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Everyone always goes to the same well for threads like these, i.e. Babylon 5, Farscape, Battlestar Galactica, etc.
I mentioned it, but you're just helping me make my case
Old 10-10-07, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
^^ D'oh!

You got me.
And you're correct about Alias. Stars out GREAT and becomes a bad cartoon by season 4. I never saw season 5 but apparently it redeemed itself a little.
Old 10-10-07, 10:48 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

I suspect if you don't like Prison Break you won't like 24, or any of the other neo-serials. For a changeup, I'd suggest Footballers Wives and OZ -- both very graphic but definitely not boring.
Old 10-10-07, 10:51 AM
JB7
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just got done with S1 of Lost. I don't see a problem watching it while you walk unless its really hard for you to keep up your pace and can't pay attention a bit more then a normal show.

I agree with the Alias comments. Season 1 is a nail biter. Season 2 is solid. Season 3 isn't bad once you know the end result. Watching it for a 2nd time you enjoy it much better. Season 4 has its moments. I really loved the Episode titles "Ice". Season 5 is short (18 episodes?) and not that great with the newbies they brought it. By the end it redeemed itself a little, but not near enough. IMO.
Old 10-10-07, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

the biggest loser

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.