Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Friday Nght Lights "Last Days of Summer"-Season Premiere 10/5/07

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-07, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
Is it me or was the 'yahoo preview' different? I seem to remember that Tyra was actually getting attacked when Landry hit him.. in tonight's episode he walked away. Is that still self-defense?

Absolutely not. The attacker was retreating at that point, thus a self-defense/defense of another person would not apply.

I certainly could have done w/o that storyline. The show is too good to turn into a cliched soap opera. Take this out and it was a good episode.

I also had a feeling they'd fiddle with the SO/JR/SR status of the players. I thought it was rather clear that Riggins was a SR last year.
Old 10-06-07, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, at least its more believable that someone could die from getting hit with a pipe than with a bottle. but its still a stupid thing to do.
Old 10-06-07, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm glad I wasnt just imagining things in my mind. I also did a double take when he used a pipe instead of a bottle, and while the guy was walking away.

I am guessing they made the switch in part because the bottle seemed really unrealistic, but the fact that he was now walking away instead of still attacking may play a role in what happens to Landry down the road (though I guess dumping the body won't help his case either way, eh?). Another thing regarding the self defense vs. homicide- In addition to it being a lead pipe instead of a bottle, Landry also hit him twice as opposed to just once with the bottle. I am sure that aspect will end up being a moot point, but it hadn't been mentioned yet.
Old 10-06-07, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 314 Likes on 201 Posts
Well they didn't actually show them dump the body, only hints of contemplating it. It's possible(and I'm hoping), that they were driving to the hospital with him still in the back, when they were in the car after the commercial.
Old 10-06-07, 01:21 PM
Banned

It'll be the life-altering moment Landry needed to become an elite football player.

Clear eyes, full hearts, one count of homicide, can't lose!
Old 10-06-07, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I sure hope this doesn't radically change Landry's character.

"He's not going to change my children into communists!" - Buddy
Old 10-06-07, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Did Tyra report her attack last season? I don't remember her ever doing so. Without a police report of that prior event, under the circumstances (attacker walking away, two strikes with the pipe), it will be even more difficult to argue self-defense.

I thought, for the most part, that this was a good return, but something did feel off to me for most of the episode. Maybe it's just the shift in relationships and positions, maybe it's the 9 months later, but something was very different.

And I didn't think about it until you mentioned it, Red Dog, but I also think Tim was supposed to graduate last year. I haven't rewatched any of the eps since they first were shown, so maybe we're wrong. But if they messed with that just to the character something to do, that would get a big from me.
Old 10-06-07, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
I don't think they flat out ever said he was a senior (probably for this very reason - to give them the option to bring him back), but I think it was strongly implied.
Old 10-06-07, 01:55 PM

I love this show but I thought this ep was a bit weak - alot of set up and not much payoff aside from the after Lifetime-esque Landry/Tyra incident.
Old 10-06-07, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
I don't think they flat out ever said he was a senior (probably for this very reason - to give them the option to bring him back), but I think it was strongly implied.
I just caught up with the show on DVD and watched the new episode last night. It just seems unrealistic for a championship HS to not have any senior leadership. Given that both Riggins and Tyra were both sleeping with people well above their age range it becomes a little more sketchy if they weren't seniors. It's just hard to buy Riggins as a 16 year old junior last year (unless he was held back at best he would turn 17 in September).

Also having a hard time with the murder plot. Really liked the show on DVD so I'm willing to see where it goes.
Old 10-06-07, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang
Did Tyra report her attack last season? I don't remember her ever doing so. Without a police report of that prior event, under the circumstances (attacker walking away, two strikes with the pipe), it will be even more difficult to argue self-defense.
Yes she did because Mrs. Coach made her after Landry told her. She went to the police station gave a report and got photographed. That with the attacker grabbing her violently and saying he would be back for her, seems like it would cover self defense... but I have no real sense of how it works though. Dumping the body would not help at all though.
Old 10-06-07, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm going through season 1 again right now, and there has been no mention of Riggins year (I'm only on episode 4), other than him being best friends with Street (who was a senior)... That doesn't mean they had to be in the same grade though.
Old 10-06-07, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
They sure used a lot of great songs in this episode - too bad they'll all get cut out of the dvds...
Old 10-06-07, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Boot
I'm surprised at the kudos of this premier. I loved last season. It was one of those rare shows that transcended its genre and became something approaching if not outright reaching brilliance, so I was really pumped for this season to start. By the end of the ep, my main thought was that they should have stopped at one season. I do not like the murder/cover-up angle one bit. One thing that made this show so special last season was that the characters were so believable. This was not believable to me. I do buy that Landry could have reacted that way to protect Tyra, but then to dump the body in a river? C'mon, that screams plot device, and this show, at least last season, is so much better than that.
That sums it up for me too, sadly. This was one of my favorite shows last season, but this ep. was lame. "What else can we do?" except cover up the crime and hide the body? I don't know--how about call the cops and tell them it was the guy who raped Tyra and who just attacked her again? Yes, he was hit in the back which doesn't help the defense of others angle, but at least lie and say he hit the dude rapist guy was attacking Tyra. Run off with the body? Please...
Old 10-06-07, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Gentz
just noticed that NBC is selling Riggins jerseys (I'd rather have a Saracen), and Crucifictorious t-shirts!

They really need to make a "What Would Riggins Do" t-shirt, I would buy that.
Old 10-06-07, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Apparently it did fairly well in the ratings, tying with Moonlight for its second half hour! Good news! We may just get a full season if this keeps up!

As for the premiere, I loved some of the lines, but I sorta felt like some of the characters were missing as this ep seemed to have a lot of Landry/Tyra and Coach/Julie parts. And Lyla's prayer at the dinner table was hilarious.

Where the hell was Smash? He had about two lines and no story development.
-ringding-
Old 10-06-07, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts
9:00-10:00
1. “Moonlight” (CBS) 8.25m
2. “Friday Night Lights” (Season Premiere) (NBC) 6.48m

Well second in its timeslot is definately good, hopefully it holds up.
Old 10-06-07, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
i was a big fan of the show last season..
and Im hoping it picks up going forward
but watching the one last night.. i felt like i was watching friday night 90210 or something.. seemed more like a soap opera than normal.. maybe riggins shot JR.
Old 10-06-07, 08:35 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I thought it started out strong but fizzled out towards the end.
Old 10-06-07, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog

Maybe he is having to repeat his senior year.
Old 10-07-07, 12:12 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
i enjoyed this ep and loved seeing Landry pipe the rapist, that's what i would have done !
Old 10-07-07, 12:26 AM

Really enjoyed the ep., but I'm a little worried about the Landry/dead rapist storyline, Julie being entirely unlikable (and the new super lame love interest), and an MIA Smash. Much of what I liked about last season has been turned on its head, so really curious as to how the season will progress.
Old 10-07-07, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Gentz
Yes she did because Mrs. Coach made her after Landry told her. She went to the police station gave a report and got photographed. That with the attacker grabbing her violently and saying he would be back for her, seems like it would cover self defense... but I have no real sense of how it works though. Dumping the body would not help at all though.
Oh yeah. I remember that now. That certainly helps the self-defense angle, but if they dumped the body ...
Old 10-07-07, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by TimeandTide
Really enjoyed the ep., but I'm a little worried about the Landry/dead rapist storyline, Julie being entirely unlikable (and the new super lame love interest), and an MIA Smash. Much of what I liked about last season has been turned on its head, so really curious as to how the season will progress.
Smash was MIA a few episodes last year. With this many characters it's hard to focus on all of them in every episode. At least it wasn't like last year's ridiculous (and completely unrealistic) foursome of Smash, Saracen, Street, and Riggins hanging out all night at the football field.
Old 10-07-07, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by mwbmis
At least it wasn't like last year's ridiculous (and completely unrealistic) foursome of Smash, Saracen, Street, and Riggins hanging out all night at the football field.
That was one of my favorite scenes in the entire season.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.