Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Journeyman--"Friendly Skies"--10/1/07

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-07, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple of little things:

His dead ex fiancee mentioned he should always carry "expired" currency.

There is no such thing. All the older designs of currency are still perfectly legit legal tender. She should have told him to keep "old style" currency on hand.

I also don't remember any such wild atmosphere on planes in 1975. Then again I was only nine. I did like the touch of having "Conquest of the Planet of the Apes" as the in-flight movie.

I'll give this show a few more weeks.
Old 10-03-07, 03:58 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by No Use For A Name
I hope his jumps become more varied than just 10-30 years in the past, always in the same city.
Agreed, that's the main thing that bothers me now (wish it was more like Quantum Leap in that respect), but I really am liking the show overall. Love McKidd.
Old 10-03-07, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Steve Phillips
His dead ex fiancee mentioned he should always carry "expired" currency.
I'm not sure you are correct. The US Treasury regularly reclaims and shreds older bills. In any case, you knew what she meant when he tried to dole out a new version bill to the cabbie.

...and again, SHE'S NOT DEAD!!!!!
Old 10-03-07, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by No Use For A Name
I hope his jumps become more varied than just 10-30 years in the past, always in the same city.
You know he is going jump some place and meet the evil jumper.

You know he will team up with himself sooner or later.

You know he will jump in to future where the city is in ruin and then he'll save it.

hmmm but a different city. I guess if he goes to different city he will be jumping around there.
Old 10-03-07, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
[...] hmmm but a different city. I guess if he goes to different city he will be jumping around there.
But when he jumps, he wakes up in a different area than where he jumped from, so who's to say he couldn't theoretically jump from San Francisco and wake up in say ancient Rome, where he could do something like help save Julius Caesar's supposed son Caesarion from Octavius.

Last edited by No Use For A Name; 10-03-07 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-03-07, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, the "expired currency" thing was for sure an error by a writer who didn't know any better.

While the treasury retires old bills as they wear out, *ALL* U.S. currency, regardless of age, remains legal tender. They make that point quite clear on their own website, and in all press releases each time they release a new version of a note.

The only ones they actively tried to get out of circulation quick were the $500 and $1000 notes, officially withdrawn in 1969. However, that doesn't mean you couldn't have spent one after that (or even now), though most clerks wouldn't recognize them these days. Furthermore, you'd be stupid to spend them since they are worth more than face value and you could sell them at any coin shop.

That said, the gag here was obviously that the guy in 1995 didn't recognize the series 2004 $20 note. It's just that it would have worked just as well had they correctly used the term "old style currency" instead of incorrectly referring to it as expired.

Yeah, I know, no one really cares, but when you are doing a time travel show, you may as well get the facts straight about the past eras!

Last edited by Steve Phillips; 10-03-07 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-03-07, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
I am surprised people aren't digging this more also. Its really well done, good performances and...it has time travel which I am a sucker for.
+2 for me. I'm really enjoying it myself. There are so many small things to like. For instance, his brother being the cop that was chasing him! Heck, I thought it was some random person, but nope they took it that extra step. Nice. I was actually expecting him to pull the $20 later and believe him.

It's episode 2 people! Things have been very adequately setup. We're finding this out as quickly as he is. You can even see the frustration when he doesn't get answers from Olivia and they are forced apart by persons/events!

Side note, I don't think she's pulling him so much as following him. We'll have to see where that goes. Maybe she is "dead", and therefore forced to continually wander? Think about it, she left right before the plane crashed, so maybe that was somebody/things's way of manipulating her. Ohhh...what if she ends up being the "evil leaper"? That would be a neat twist!

And stop complaing about the family! It is what grounds him, and in fact we're seeing the opposite. His wife is supporting him through this. We're merely seeing how she too is frustrated. Sure it's having some affects, but nothing is at the breaking point. What if he disappears and drop a new baby? What if he disappears and takes the baby with into a dangerous siutation?

Lastly, I'm waiting for the first, "I screwed up." trip. It will definitely be interesting to see the fallout from that.
Old 10-03-07, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,696 Likes on 2,656 Posts
Originally Posted by Superman07
And stop complaing about the family! It is what grounds him, and in fact we're seeing the opposite. His wife is supporting him through this. We're merely seeing how she too is frustrated. Sure it's having some affects, but nothing is at the breaking point. What if he disappears and drop a new baby? What if he disappears and takes the baby with into a dangerous siutation?
Agree 100%, you need a reason to care about the character. I don't get why some people don't care for that. His wife and son and even his brother keep him grounded and make him human.
Old 10-03-07, 09:01 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by DJariya
Agree 100%, you need a reason to care about the character. I don't get why some people don't care for that. His wife and son and even his brother keep him grounded and make him human.
Plus, didn't his wife basically tell him "it's ok, we're not going anywhere" at the end of this episode? At least they didn't drag out her not believing him and all that. My only complaint is we didn't see her in lingerie this week.

Last edited by aktick; 10-03-07 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-03-07, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by aktick
Plus, didn't his wife basically tell him "it's ok, we're not going anywhere" at the end of this episode? At least they didn't drag out her not believing him and all that.
My point exactly, which is why I find it odd people seem to be harping on, or have the notion that, the family - wife - is unsupportive and complaining. Yes she's struggling to cope, but who wouldn't be?!
Old 10-03-07, 10:26 PM

I am loving the show so far! It has me for the long haul or until it gets cancelled!

It's funny, my friend and I were discussing the first episode last week and I mentioned that it would be neat to have him get into some trouble in the past with him using the newer Monopoly style currency.

I got a big kick out of seeing the kid on the airplane holding an Evel Kenevel motorcycle and figure! Brings back happy Christmas morning memories!!

Maybe his ex fiance' is tracking him or she might be tracking her own "assignments". And when exactly is her "home" time or is she constantly shifting?

I have read that the producers have cast an actor to portray a younger Dan Vaser.

Next week should be good dealing with the events of the earthquake in 1989.

Thumbs down to not seeing the Mrs. or the ex in lingere' this week!

Take care all!!

Last edited by Dmacsg1; 10-03-07 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-04-07, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I only saw the pilot. It's a good-looking show production and setting-wise. All the time traveling and running into their younger selves got me thinking of Back to the Future. He hid from his younger self in the pilot. And what would have happened if they had met? Lots have to be explained especially why this is happening. He's being sent by God to fix crimes in the past? If so, he's going to be a very busy guy. And why choose him if that's the case.
Old 10-04-07, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MrE
I like the show but the coincidences are hard to take ... unless they come up with a reasonable explanation as to why he always put in the right place at the right time. That's what annoys me the most.
Really? I thought that was just an aspect of the show. He jumps back to wherever he's needed, or at least nearby. His ex-fiancee told him to follow his instincts, so he has a sort of built in barometer for what to do based on the man he is.

I dunno, it's working for me. I'm loving it so far. I'm curious to see how crazy they get with the time traveling though. I would be fine if they stuck to the last 20-30 years (there is a lot of problems that can come from that), but I wonder if they'll go back to the gold rush and stuff like that? I'm not banking on it, as the show seems like it wants to be grounded in the present and recent past, but it would be neat to see.

I don't even see them going back to roman times or anything like that. And I don't think it would fit with the show. A big part of it is him being able to "check" on what he fixed, which he wouldn't be able to do if he goes back too far.

This show reminds me a lot of Early Edition, which I loved, so I'm in for the long haul.

Plus, I watched both episodes yesterday, so a comment on the premiere. The wife? What a smoking ass bod she has on her. Good lord.
Old 10-04-07, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What's the deal with the "party plane" people are referencing? I may have to watch this episode just to see it.
Old 10-04-07, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
What's the deal with the "party plane" people are referencing? I may have to watch this episode just to see it.
Quick - nobody answer him! That'll make him watch it.
Old 10-04-07, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by boredsilly
The wife? What a smoking ass bod she has on her. Good lord.
Yeah, the abs on that woman! What a MILF!
Old 10-05-07, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 209 Posts
No, the "expired currency" thing was for sure an error by a writer who didn't know any better.
Or...it could just be a line that a character would say. Not everything a character says has to be 100% correct. I doubt the fiance would care about researching the correct terminology as long as she got the meaning across.
Old 10-05-07, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Or...it could just be a line that a character would say. Not everything a character says has to be 100% correct. I doubt the fiance would care about researching the correct terminology as long as she got the meaning across.
Old 10-05-07, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 10-05-07, 05:08 AM

The most unrealistic part of the show (even moreso than time traveling) is that this guy is a reporter and is somehow able to afford a Mustang and a $1 mil.+ house in San Fran.
Old 10-05-07, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by IamHydrogen1
The most unrealistic part of the show (even moreso than time traveling) is that this guy is a reporter and is somehow able to afford a Mustang and a $1 mil.+ house in San Fran.
Well, as you saw from the two episodes so far, we've seen the house and 1) it was in disrepair even while being lived in, and 2) it appeared to be abandoned for a while. I'm sure they bought it on the cheap and fixed it up.

Plus, that's the cheap Mustang anyway.
Old 10-05-07, 07:47 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 588 Likes on 336 Posts
I think this episode was a lot better than the pilot, and I hope it doesn't get cancelled.

It was funny how the copy that almost caught him after he gave the cabbie the "counterfeit" $20 was his brother.
Old 10-05-07, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by IamHydrogen1
$1 M? That's several mil. And the house is not surrounded or clustered around other homes. It may not even be in SF but in Marin where a bunch of rich folk live.
Old 10-06-07, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe he's a star reporter?
Old 10-08-07, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ditto on what's been said: better second episode, hope it's more than just SF at some point.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.