Stargate Atlantis Season 4 Discusssion

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Stargate Atlantis Season 4 Discusssion

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-08, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thinking the same thing about the doctor. We see her starting to have a fling with Ronan in one episode. Then we don't hear anything about this. A few episodes later she's picking up on Rodney. Again, nothing comes of this. It looks like the doctor is becoming the base slut.
Old 03-08-08, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The last episode was very weak for me.

I liked the time travel structure and can appreciate what they were trying to do but I just have no interest in the Teyla/Micheal plot line, and that just takes the legs out of whatever they are trying to build up. It also lacked a lot of energy compared to most SG finales. The action was there, but the flashback format made it feel flat, killing any momentum or suspense. The cliffhanger ending was also very lame.

I guess in the alternate timeline repli-weir didn't do anything worth mentioning. I was expecting finale to bring that plotline back but if anything it dismissed it.

EDIT: This ended up sounding too negative. There were several individual aspects I liked, but like I said, most of it was built on the foundation of the threat of Micheal which I completely don't buy. Which is why overall I just didn't like it.

This whole season seemed off to me. I don't know if perhaps the writers strike had an effect or just the combination of SG-1 ending and the Carter/Wier casting mixup, Teyla's pregnancy and perhaps some budget issues. Maybe it was just that chunk of 3-4 low budget/half-cast filler episodes that killed it for me.

Last edited by wmansir; 03-08-08 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-09-08, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought the last episode of the season was underwhelming. The whole first 50 odd minutes being what was or what was never seemed like a waste of time to tell a story. Little snippets of what or could have happened like Samantha getting her own ship and Woolsey taking over Atlantis and Commander didn't do it for me. Is this the shape of things to come than I do not like it.
The tacked on relationship for Rodney and the Doctor felt like an after thought.
This may have been a good individual episode but for a season ender and cliffhanger, I thought it was pretty bad.
I would have liked Repli-Weir to come back into the picture and didn't. I thought that would play out since they did show her a few episodes ago but didn't.
Old 03-10-08, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was expecting the cliffhanger to be Sheppard in status, "stuck" in the far distance future. It makes for a more interesting ending than a building explosion.
Old 03-10-08, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A building explosion would be better served on a night time Soap Opera. Atlantis usually comes up with some pretty good ones but not this time.
Old 03-10-08, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I thought the finale was a pretty good episode until the cliffhanger.

I enjoyed hearing everyone's life-stories and endings, although it drove home how fractured the show has gotten now, with seperate plots for everyone and little of the teamwork that made Stargate great.

Yeah, the cliffhanger moment itself was underwhelming. Here's hoping the show rights itself next season, because S4 basically sucked.
Old 03-10-08, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 256 Likes on 179 Posts
They should have shown Carson still frozen in a stasis chamber after 43(?) thousand years. Good for a laugh.
Old 03-11-08, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516
They should have shown Carson still frozen in a stasis chamber after 43(?) thousand years. Good for a laugh.
They should have had Sheppard go iinto stasis right next to him.
Old 03-11-08, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
So I finished up the season.

Overall, I thought it was pretty good. I agree there was a lot of inconsistency towards the end of the year, but I guess I've never expected consistency from this show so I wasn't disappointed per se. I too picked up on the Doc/Ronan vibe, only to see it dropped (although I'm glad it was).

I can't believe how underused Sam was. I honestly thought she was going to accomplish more. Based on the interviews with AT it sounded like there was a lot of growth for the character to be had - I suppose similar to Teal'c and the high council role over in SG-1. Unfortunately, and forward reason is beyond me, the writers decided to ignore her character completely.

The earth based episode notwithstanding I felt like Sheap didn't have much of a year for character development. Somehow I think Rodney became the workhorse of the show, and as much as I like him I think it's holding the show back. It's too reliant on his character to hold up a lot of the episodes (or give be the plot device) and I feel like that doens't allow for as deep of story lines or more galaxy/miltary archs.

I still wish Teyla would go away. She improved, slightly, but I still think she's been a big anvil for the series since day one. I felt a slight wave of relief in the 'flashback' when they found her dead.

As for Ronan and the 'flashback'...meh. I guess it was fitting, but it seemed off to me - like he's barge forward and hit the trigger as he was going down to the floor rather than just give up like that. Same with Carter now that I mention it.

I really hope Woolsey isn't going to be around next year too much. He has too much of that bureacratic air about him.

Also...something just occured to me. Back on SG-1 the writers never bothered to incorporate the leader of the SGC much beyond meetings. However, on Atlantis, due to the weight of the characters we had going into those roles perhaps we've come to expect more from that role? However, the limitation is in the role rather than the writers? I think it effectively nuters anybody stepping into that role (assuming they weren't so already).

Lastly, that brings me to Weir. I read on another board somebody saying she was dead. Really? That's a biggie, but it goes to show how much (or little) that revelation in the show actually meant to me. So much so that I thought she was still alive/didn't realize she was dead. Was she really that bad that such a huge plot point went unoticed by me?! Lastly, I know there was the replicator version of her mid-way through the season (figured the original was still out there...) - what happened there? I was completely expecting her to come back in the finale and be this large threat that would be revealed at the last moment. Now, I'm going to feel even more cheated if they bring her back next year (or later). First, it will probably be dealt with in some two parter half way through a season and it will feel rushed. Second, even if she does show up it will contradict the events in Last Man. I know it's a new timeline, but I imagine something MAJOR would have to happen in order for her be significant.

For some reason I feel like there will be a substantial shift next season, but I don't know why. I honestly felt this year was supposed to be that - what with SG-1 over, but I never felt like it materialized. Additionally, while I'm glad S5 is coming, does anybody else feel like this show has never really found a firm footing?