Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dr Who Spin-off Series: Sarah Jane Adventures (BBC) Season 1

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-07, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dr Who Spin-off Series: Sarah Jane Adventures (BBC) Season 1

The Doctor Who spin-off series, The Sarah Jane Adventures started with a two-part episode last night on the BBC.

Spoiler:
PART ONE - Sarah Jane Smith, investigative journalist and former companion to The Doctor, is back in a brand-new CBBC drama from the makers of Doctor Who. And in the first two-part story of the series she faces some familiar alien enemies of The Doctor as the Slitheen are back and out for revenge...

On their first day at their new school Maria and Luke soon realise that all is not as it seems. There's a funny smell, the food keeps going off, the teachers keep farting and the new technology block is hiding some dark secrets.

With their suspicions aroused, Sarah Jane, Maria and Luke set about investigating, joined by their new friend Clyde. They soon discover that the Slitheen have disguised themselves as teachers as part of a deadly plan which threatens the future of the Earth.

But as Maria, Luke and Clyde become trapped in the new technology block in the clutches of the Slitheen and with Sarah Jane under attack from another of the alien monsters, will the gang be able to stop the Slitheen before it's too late?
+
PART TWO - Trapped in school with the monstrous child of the Slitheen, Maria, Luke and Clyde make a timely escape thanks to some deodorant and the help of Sarah Jane and her sonic lipstick, as the drama continues.

With the Slitheen's deadly plans to destroy the Earth well under way, the gang race back to Sarah Jane's attic to work out how to stop them. Helped by Mr Smith, Sarah Jane's super-computer, they soon discover that the Slitheen are going to drain all the energy from Earth using a worldwide network of giant supercapacitors.

But as a power black-out starts to spread across the world, taking Mr Smith out of action, time is running out and the gang have to rely on their wits alone. Will they be able to save the Earth before the Slitheen switch off the Sun for ever?

I have not yet had a chance to watch the episodes, but I'm getting pretty tired of the villain.
Old 09-25-07, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll have to hear some reviews before I give this one a go. Disappointed in Torchwood, never did like the Sara Jane audio series, and the plot spoilers aren't too enthralling either.
Old 09-25-07, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Sonic lipstick?!
Old 09-25-07, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Eh, it's on CBBC, which is a kiddie channel. Probably nothing to get excited over.
Old 09-25-07, 11:30 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I watched the pilot several months ago. Nothing too exciting. Very much a kid's show.
Old 09-25-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In other words, nobody is even giving it a watch?

This will be a lonely discussion thread.
Old 10-01-07, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The huge glut of TV this week meant I didn't get to the premiere hour until this weekend.

Other than the standard childish "fart jokes" and over-the-top acting that always come from the Slitheen, I liked it. It was a nice couple minutes toward the end of the episode where Sarah Jane talks about the Doctor a bit.

Did the New Years special explain where she got all the tech (namely Mr. Smith) from? I can't remember.
Old 11-05-07, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Still nobody else watching?

It's kept my interest a lot longer than Torchwood did, that's for sure. I just wish Sarah Jane would run across one of the villains she faced during her time on Who.
Old 11-05-07, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm watching.
Old 11-05-07, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll give it a go once it shows up on CBC (I'm assuming it will). I too am also disappointed in Torchwood. For some reason, nothing seems to be gelling on that show. I'm finding zero chemistry with the cast and it's just coming off as uninspired.

Heck, they even managed to make a show about Cybermen uninteresting!
Old 11-06-07, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I heart Sarah Jane Smith.
Old 11-06-07, 03:37 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Glad to hear it's finally on - I saw the pilot months ago. It's dark fantasy for kids, to be sure, but safe for viewers who don't like Torchwood.