Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Can I watch "The Office" without having seen the previous 3 seasons?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-07, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

My sister highly recommended watching "The Office" to me, but I've never seen the previous 3 seasons. Can I start watching this season without feeling lost? Are there any serialized elements that may confuse me?
Old 09-21-07, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's several serialized elements to the show, but I doubt you would have a problem picking up on them fairly quickly. Some of the jokes might not make you laugh if you haven't seen the history behind it though.

Best answer: start with new episodes when it premieres while catching up on the DVDs.
Old 09-21-07, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
All you need to know about ongoing story is:

Spoiler:
Season 1: Jim and Pam love eachother, don't know it. But Pam is engaged.
Season 2: Jim and Pam love eachother and are figuring it out. Pam is still engaged.
Seaon 2 finale: Jim tells Pam he loves her. Pam says no dice. Jim leaves for the Stamford office.
Season 3 premiere: Pam does not get married. Dumps her fiancee. Jim is now dating Karen.
Season 3 finale: Jim dumps Karen, asks Pam out.

There... you're all caught up. Enjoy season 4. And if you like it make sure you get a chance to watch the first three seasons because they are all great.
Old 09-21-07, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I think there are a lot of jokes that require past knowledge. Even moreso, I think a lot of the jokes are dependent on knowing the characters well.

You may still find it funny, but most people I know who just watched an episode here and there don't really get it. That's how I was until I watched the DVDs starting from the beginning.
Old 09-21-07, 01:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...that's what she said.
Old 09-21-07, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness
...that's what she said.

Or he said.
Old 09-21-07, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Goat3001
All you need to know about ongoing story is:

Spoiler:
Season 1: Jim and Pam love eachother, don't know it. But Pam is engaged.
Season 2: Jim and Pam love eachother and are figuring it out. Pam is still engaged.
Seaon 2 finale: Jim tells Pam he loves her. Pam says no dice. Jim leaves for the Stamford office.
Season 3 premiere: Pam does not get married. Dumps her fiancee. Jim is now dating Karen.
Season 3 finale: Jim dumps Karen, asks Pam out.

There... you're all caught up. Enjoy season 4. And if you like it make sure you get a chance to watch the first three seasons because they are all great.
To add
Spoiler:
There is an on-going romance with Dwigt and Angela that is not known to the office save for Jim and Pam. Dwigt + Angela = Dwangela; Jim + Pam = Jam. Ryan and Kelly were an item but he broke up with her at the end of S3... I sound like Kelly spouting off about celeb romance items to Jim...
Old 09-21-07, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by wishbon3
I sound like Kelly spouting off about celeb romance items to Jim
In other words, you are telling us what's been going on with you lately.
Old 09-21-07, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
In other words, you are telling us what's been going on with you lately.
Damn I love this show!
Old 09-21-07, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,208 Likes on 2,070 Posts
The Office is probably my favorite show right now and I still have yet to watch S1. I started about 2 or 3 episodes into S2 and became addicted. When I find the time I'll go back and watch the first season.
Old 09-21-07, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why not catch up right now... Season 1 is short, you can watch it in 1 sitting. Season 2 you'll fly through in 2 nights, ditto Season 3... if you start tomorrow, you'll be good to go by the Thursday premiere.
Old 09-21-07, 07:18 PM

I did not know that Jim knows that Dwight & Angela are a couple? I remember the episode when he walked in on them getting it on, but he did not see her face.
Old 09-21-07, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by wishbon3
Dwigt
Speaking of things one won't understand without seeing previous episodes...
Old 09-21-07, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,208 Likes on 2,070 Posts
Originally Posted by kenage
I did not know that Jim knows that Dwight & Angela are a couple? I remember the episode when he walked in on them getting it on, but he did not see her face.
We do know for sure that Pam knows, right? So it wouldn't be too far of a strectch to assume that she told Jim.
Old 09-21-07, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
We do know for sure that Pam knows, right? So it wouldn't be too far of a strectch to assume that she told Jim.
I thought there was an episode where Jim found Angela naked and asleep in Dwight's hotel room, and decided he'd never say anything as a way of paying Dwight back for saving him from Roy.
Old 09-21-07, 09:31 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I thought there was an episode where Jim found Angela naked and asleep in Dwight's hotel room, and decided he'd never say anything as a way of paying Dwight back for saving him from Roy.
Jim thought it was a hooker. He didn't know it was Angela.

Pam has seen Dwangela caught in a passionate kiss.
Old 09-21-07, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I guess the OP won't need to watch the first 3 seasons anyway since everyone seems to be throwing around spoilers left and right.
Old 09-21-07, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Those were two different episodes, but:

Spoiler:
Jim spotted Dwight and Angela devouring each other at the tail end of the "lemme pay you back for saving me from Roy" episode and decided that'd even things out. The hotel room bit was one of the first episodes of the season.
Old 09-21-07, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Jim does know, but from the episode where Dwight maced Roy. Jim wanted to get him something to say thanks, and Dwight kept refusing. Once Jim saw Dwight and Angela together, he said that not telling anyone would be his gift to him.
Old 09-22-07, 07:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean
Well I guess the OP won't need to watch the first 3 seasons anyway since everyone seems to be throwing around spoilers left and right.
"I am going to drop a deuce on everybody."
Old 09-22-07, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoy having breakfast in bed. I like waking up to the smell of bacon, sue me. And since I don't have a butler, I have to do it myself. So, most nights before I go to bed, I will lay six strips of bacon out on my George Foreman grill. Then I go to sleep. When I wake up, I plug in the grill. I go back to sleep again. Then I wake up to the smell of crackling bacon. It is delicious, it's good for me, it's the perfect way to start the day.
Old 09-22-07, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The show has some of the most brilliant callbacks of any show I've seen, so if you can watch them in order there are very rewarding payoffs.

Two of my favorites:

Spoiler:
Dwight confronting Michael and Andy in "Travelling Salesmen" echoes Dwight confronting Michael in his two-headed costume in "Halloween."

Andy worried about floating down the chocolate river like the rotund Augustus Gloop in "Willy Wonka", and then floating away on the lake in a sumo outfit in "Beach Games."
Old 09-22-07, 01:44 PM

When starting watching a show cold after it's been on a while It's always best to be fimiliar with the characters. I've learned the hard way - I've tried watching Brothers and Sisters and Ugly Betty halfway through their runs and I was really lost. Speaking of which if you try to start LOST at this point you will be just that.

The Office shouldn't be that daunting. Like Seinfeld or Curb each episode stands alone as uniquely contained.

I consider The Office a real-life Simpsons - it's that funny.

Last edited by JasonTHX; 09-22-07 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-22-07, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I agree that it's something you should be able to jump right into. There are some previous storylines that might be referenced, but even often when that happens, they play a clip from what they're referring to so you know.

I'd start watching without hesitation. Just be prepared to give it a couple shows to get used to the characters.

BTW, Season 1 really isn't integral at all to the series. It has some very good episodes, but you could start with Season 2 if you had to without a problem. Or just start watching the reruns on TBS of the previous seasons. You'll be into it in no time.
Old 09-22-07, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I tried jumping in last fall and felt completley out of the loop.

From what I've heard from friends this is a very very character driven show and 80% of the humor comes from your knowledge of their past interactions...