Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Question after finishing S1 of Friday Night Lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-07, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question after finishing S1 of Friday Night Lights

So I just saw the last episode and was wondering why several of the players were still there planning for next season. I thought Jason Street, Tim Riggins and Smash were seniors. Was I mistaken? Street is a coach so he makes sense, but I thought there were more seniors based on the pilot. Also isn't Lyla Garrity a senior too? Am I incorrect? Also why didn't Tim's brother go to the State game? Riggins gave his tickets to Bo Miller and the Collettes and Landry.
Old 09-14-07, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts
I am pretty sure that jason Street was the only senior.
Old 09-14-07, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read somewhere that the producers don't want to address the Senior and Junior thing. I'll hunt around and see if I can find the article. It basically said that they realize that if this series goes longer than 2 seasons, they're going to have to address it... they also said that if any of them graduate, they'll still be on the show in some capacity.
Old 09-14-07, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The way I figured it as I watched, Street and Riggins were seniors. Smash, Lyla, and Tyra were juniors, and Saracen was a sophomore.

It's all out the window now, though, as SeptemberBaby said.

Last edited by SexualPudding; 09-14-07 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-14-07, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Smash was definately a Junior. He was just starting to get recruited. Street and
Riggins are Seniors so I'm not sure where they go with Riggins. I'm not sure if Saracen was a Freshman or a Sophomore.
Old 09-14-07, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Saracen was a sophomore.
It was said that Lyla hadn't yet picked out a college, so I'm fairly certain she was a jr.
Street was definately a senior as he said he only had a couple of more credits of school left.

I don't exactly recall them addressing Riggins though.
Tyra...couldn't care less, of all the characters, I hated hers the most.
Originally Posted by rfduncan
Also why didn't Tim's brother go to the State game? Riggins gave his tickets to Bo Miller and the Collettes and Landry.
Because then we wouldn't have had the absolutely hilarious situation of Landry driving the 3 Collettes and picking up Lyla along the way!

Seriously, the writers would appreciate it if you would kindly assume he had his own tickets, or just not to think about it and never to speak of this glaring plot hole again

Last edited by dan30oly; 09-14-07 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-15-09, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Question after finishing S1 of Friday Night Lights

We just finished up S1 of FNL (great show), and I have a question to piggy back on here. While I really like the show, some of the stuff is just poorly thought-out.

One of my peeves has to do with Street being a coach. It seems like the writers could have easily written it so that he could stay on as a coach as soon as he got his final credits.

As for the jr/sr thing, that's kind of lazy writing. I know Riggins is a likable character, but maybe that should have been thought out from the beginning.

Other than these little things, I'm really excited to get into S2 (we're two eps in) and see where this show goes.
Old 08-15-09, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by reubs82
We just finished up S1 of FNL (great show), and I have a question to piggy back on here. While I really like the show, some of the stuff is just poorly thought-out.

One of my peeves has to do with Street being a coach. It seems like the writers could have easily written it so that he could stay on as a coach as soon as he got his final credits.

As for the jr/sr thing, that's kind of lazy writing. I know Riggins is a likable character, but maybe that should have been thought out from the beginning.

Other than these little things, I'm really excited to get into S2 (we're two eps in) and see where this show goes.
I agree with you there is some lazy writing on FNL. It seemed that early in first season that Street, Lyla, Tyra and Riggins were seniors. Some of writing and storylines in season 3 seemed poorly thought out.
Old 08-17-09, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Originally Posted by reubs82

Don't be too excited about season 2. Stick with it though, because season 3 is great (IMHO). And at least they give some of these characters a decent send off once they're ready to move on. The junior/senior thing might have been annoying, but I can't imagine how much worse it would be if the cast rotated out completely, or if (more likely) they stuck around for no good reason after they graduated with nothing to do. My main beef is that they never developed any underclassmen, which is what got them into this problem in the first place.