Search this Thread

Old 09-12-07, 06:01 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Rescue Me *Season Finale* - "Yaz" - 9/12/07

"Yaz"
Spoiler:
In the fourth-season finale, the sighting of Jimmy's “ghost” is the talk of the firehouse; Colleen blames Tommy for her failed relationship, and Tommy figures out a way to fix his own.
Old 09-12-07, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Well so much for this episode pulling a miracle out of its ass, to redeem the season. Fitting that my season 1-3 DVDs sold on eBay during the final montage
Old 09-12-07, 10:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this might top 24's season 6 as worst season of tv ever
Old 09-12-07, 10:31 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Franco's revenge was great

Other than that a disappointing end to a disappointing season. Hopefully it can get back on track next season.
Old 09-12-07, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Same sentiments here. Glad it's over.

I wish I had two more hands, so I can give this season 4 thumbs down!
Old 09-12-07, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope so because this was not what we are used too..
Old 09-12-07, 11:08 PM

so i just caught the replays end. so the big surprise was the new "chief" wrote that tommy was section eight? hell from what we've seen he hasnt worked with him in a few weeks

ps. bye charles durning, you've joined jack mcgee, dean winters, and maybe james mccaffrey?

Last edited by phantom_azazel; 09-12-07 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-13-07, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I dunno...I think you guys have been overly harsh about this season. It's certainly not the best season of Rescue Me, but it's still better than 90% of what's on TV.

I think this season was a necessary house-cleaning, tying up a bunch of loose storylines. The final montage sets up everything for chaos next year - and puts the focus squarely back on to Tommy and his loose grip on himself. You've gotta figure the next season opens with him waking up from an alcohol daze talking to Jesus and Mary Magdalene again. And I really could do without Laurenz Tate.
Old 09-13-07, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts
I haven't seen anything of this season except for part of the first episode. Was I right to drop out of the series midway through the third season?
Old 09-13-07, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got to go against the grain here. I've been a very vocal critic of this season so far, but I thought the season finale was great. It certainly didn't redeem a mediocre season, but I thought it was the best episode so far this year.

I do have hopes for next season.
Old 09-13-07, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As I have mentioned in prior threads (or, more specifically, the thread for the episode which aired directly before this), the season has been, essentially, about one man merely "going through the motions."

Tommy has lost nearly everything in his life that has ever meant anything to him. Alcohol is gone. His wife is gone. His children are gone. Sex is gone. Hell, even fighting fires is nearly gone. He is simply attempting to exist, and utterly failing in that regard.

Without anything to truly live for, his life becomes one convoluted mess, with instances bleeding into one another with little sequential order. As such, he is given to fits of boredom and disbelief, rationalizing such as the product of his own psyche. That which surrounds his makes little sense to Tommy, and, in essence, Tommy makes little sense to that which surrounds him. His is of an instinctual fundementality, serving no "higher" purpose beyond subsistance.

He breaths, but does not live. He talks, but does not live. He screws, but does not live. He lives, but does not live. Rather, he quintessentially is.

For me, that is what the season has been about. Attempting to derive meaning from chaos. Understanding from sobriety. It has been about one man's journey into that which is beyond all he has ever known. Beyond the drinking. Beyond the whoring. Beyond the insanity. It is Tommy Gavin trying to love.

Or, something to that effect. I'm not entirely certain right now, as I've had a great deal of Scotch, but still... This season has not been the disorder which people have believed it to be. Or, rather, it has, but disorder with an ultimate being.
Old 09-13-07, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought the episode in and of itself was decent. The problem was that it closed out a very strange and just overall uneventful season.

Janet looked fucking smokin' in that red dress, though.
Old 09-13-07, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Has this show definitely been renewed through another season? At this point, it might be best for Leary to drop it and start over with something fresh.
Old 09-13-07, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
I dunno...I think you guys have been overly harsh about this season. It's certainly not the best season of Rescue Me, but it's still better than 90% of what's on TV.

I think this season was a necessary house-cleaning, tying up a bunch of loose storylines. The final montage sets up everything for chaos next year - and puts the focus squarely back on to Tommy and his loose grip on himself. You've gotta figure the next season opens with him waking up from an alcohol daze talking to Jesus and Mary Magdalene again. And I really could do without Laurenz Tate.
See I thought that this season was going to be full of chaos. Tommy being investigated in the 'insurance' fire, could have been gold. But it was just swept away so quickly, and the season never seemed to have a focus anymore. If the focus is suppose to be, that Tommy's life is boring without his vices....well thats just boring as well.
Old 09-13-07, 09:18 AM

Like a lot here, I thought this was one of the best episodes of the season. Unfortunately, this season was so piss poor, it made this finale rather pedestrian. To me, it seemed as if Leary/Tolan got lost on what episode they were working on. Last week's abortion of a show really threw the pace off and this finale felt more like a prelude to a finale. I am glad to see Tatum O'Neil leave and Charles Durning was a season overdue. Haven't we seen the "Fireman Courts One of Tommy's Kin Before"? Oh yeah, last season. "But see it's different, because it's his daughter and he's black." Lazy, lazy, lazy. Shiela's nutty to begin with. Let's drive her over the edge some more.
Old 09-13-07, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by MrX
Franco's revenge was great

Other than that a disappointing end to a disappointing season. Hopefully it can get back on track next season.
So Franco's revenge was letting the retarded brother get married? I guess that was a good move on his part, but was what he was saying to her a pimp or was he trying to be serious? Not sure...

I did really like the way Tommy handled Gina Gershon, and there were some other funny moments, but the whole season was SO disjointed and as a season finale I thought this one sucked.
Old 09-13-07, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Not a great ending to a sub-par season. I was hoping something crazy would happen at the end.
Old 09-13-07, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My 3-letter response to the entire season:

Meh
Old 09-13-07, 03:41 PM
Banned

Ahhh the smell of people overreacting to a tv show... This season has been a step down the ladder but far from the bottom.
Old 09-13-07, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
I've got to go against the grain here. I've been a very vocal critic of this season so far, but I thought the season finale was great. It certainly didn't redeem a mediocre season, but I thought it was the best episode so far this year.

I do have hopes for next season.
I agree... Best episode of the season, but that's not saying much... I don't see what Colleen is doing with black Sean, other then to get revenge on her father. I really doubt they have much in common besides mutual hatred for Tommy.

The scene with Janet and Tommy was hot. He could've had her right then, why didn't he?

Shame about Tommy's father passing... really the best parts of the show are when he's on screen.

Sheila is still bonkers... I think she should be written up for a section 8, not Tommy... Why was the new chief even writing a section 8 for Tommy? Not only has he not worked with him in weeks, but Tommy hasn't even been seeing ghosts like he did in the first two seasons... Once in a blue moon he sees a dark figure talking about the bible, but those are usually dreams.

As for Franco's revenge, pure awesomeness... Can't wait to see his girl come back.

The finale didn't redeem this sub-par season, but I'm not about to give up yet. I've invested enough time into these characters that I want to see where they end up. So I'll tune in when the time comes for season 5.
Old 09-14-07, 08:15 AM
Suspended

I think they can fix what's wrong in time for Season 5. It was a bad season in the grand scheme of "Rescue Me", but it was still appointment television for me. Every episode had several moments that made me laugh out loud. The drama just wasn't there this season.

Killing off Tommy's dad was pretty much necessary. I could sense this season they were unsure what to do with his character, and Durning looks like he could go at any moment anyway, so it was probably best from a storytelling point of view.
Old 09-14-07, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
An abysmal end to an abysmal season. I think they took alot of chances this season and none of them really paid off. Pretty much every show goes through this, but since network tv seasons aren't filmed entirely before airing they have more of a chance of re-writing mid stride. I too think this show has enough talent to keep going & hope the writing team learns from this year and returns to form next year.

As for a personal request, I'd like to see Janet violently killed for no reason and then no more references to her.
Old 09-14-07, 01:05 PM
Banned

^ She could go the way of baby brother Timo Gavin and simply cease to exist.
Old 09-14-07, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My favorite part was
Colleen = "sniff sniff So you would have married me except for my Dad"
BF = "yes absolutely. except I met this other chick too"

So gullible.
Old 09-14-07, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
This season was a huge disappointment and really made me start to dislike the show. I didn't look forward to episodes like I used to. I would sit and watch without getting involved in what was happening... this show used to be compelling and funny - now it just has a few laughs during the mediocrity... I felt like Lou was describing the season when he went on his rant at the end, which I didn't feel he quite pulled off acting wise.

I don't think this season of Rescue Me would rank anywhere near the top 10% of the best of what's on TV. TV has gotten a lot better recently overall. During the Summer, sure, maybe it's better than 90% of the shows on...but for the year? Not a chance.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.