Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

TV shows you thought you'd like but now dislike?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

TV shows you thought you'd like but now dislike?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-07, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by magman
On the Lot
I think this is the first reality show that I got more than one episode into, and still gave up on half-way through (some I give up before the first episode is over, but if I watch a second ep, I usually stick it out). Just couldn't hold my interest.
Old 07-30-07, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gunde
C.S.I
Infact I did like it for about 3½ seasons and then completely lost interest...
same here. first few seasons i've loved, but because of all the other CSI spinoffs, they've just deluded the shows
Old 07-31-07, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Gunde
C.S.I
Infact I did like it for about 3½ seasons and then completely lost interest...

The funny thing is that i used to get really pissed off when watching TV and channel surfing and just trying to find a channel not showing a CSI. I decided to give the original CSI a go, mainly because i like William Petersen, and since then i have been hooked. I still avoid the Miami and New York editions, but the Las Vegas one is excellent.
Old 08-01-07, 01:34 PM

My Name is Earl
Old 08-01-07, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Surprised I'm the first one to say this...

Old 08-01-07, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Eureka was the first show that came to mind. Love the concept, not so much the execution.

Others include:
The 4400
Jericho
Seinfeld
Old 08-01-07, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Yeah, I would have thought that too. Then I began watching the show...

In my defense, I've never been a big comic book guy. If Heroes has a lot of great elements that Comic book fans see, they most likely would have gone right over my head.
Even as a big comic book fan, I didn't really like the first few episodes of Heroes... I'm not sure where the turnaround began, but it became must see TV after a while, even with it's shortcomings.

I'm still willing to trudge through it, since I bought the entire collection based on reviews, but going through Buffy Season 1 is like torture to me.
Old 08-02-07, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
The 4400
The Unit
CSI: Miami
Miami Ink
Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip
Weeds
Deadwood
Old 08-02-07, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Originally Posted by rennervision
Surprised I'm the first one to say this...

Yep, I made it to hour 17 of the first season, then bailed.
Old 08-02-07, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Grey's Anatomy & Lost
I loved the first 2 seasons of both shows. I couldn't barely stomach s3 of GA and s3 of lost I totally bailed on. I don't think I'm gonna make it to s4 of either show
Old 08-02-07, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Oh, are we including shows that "jumped the shark" at some point but were enjoyed in the beginning? Or just ones where the concept seemed really cool, but the execution was just a bit off and made it not enjoyable?
Old 08-09-07, 02:36 AM

Golden, don't feel alone; I'm a comic book guy and I wanted to love Heroes. I forced myself to watch every episode, demanding of myself to love it. And I don't. And I'm not happy with myself for it. Seriously, I'm too spoiled; had a show with this premise came out in the 80's or 90's, I'd be apeshit.

But it didn't click and I really wish it had. There is just so many ways it could be better that it frustrates me to no end. I may have to force myself to drink the koolaid and try this show again.

Oh, and a huge vote for John from Cinci, but I cast that vote with admitted bias. Yes, we could all be enjoying season 4 of Deadwood right now, but Milch had to slum with this shit; Serenity Now!
Old 08-09-07, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I eagerly anticipated Heroes all throughout the summer. I made it through half of the first episode.
This show took a while for me to get into. I missed the first half of the season and on a recommendation I downloaded the epsidoes I missed. I watched the first episode, thought it was blah but I was told that it would get better and to keep watching. Two weeks later I got around to watching the second episode and was still unimpressed. A few days later I saw the third episode and I got so into it at that point that I ended up watching about 6 episodes in one night. I'm glad I stuck with it, and if you get the chance I recommend giving it another shot.

Back on topic, I liked CSI and House for awhile but now I can't stand either. Both shows have a good premise but it got boring watching the same story over and over.
Old 08-09-07, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I couldn't get into Heroes because the acting is mediocre at best on that show.

I agree Goat3001. I liked (still do to a point) CSI but after the same story over & over it just gets way too old, way too fast. They just don't shake things up enough. I loved the Liev episodes this season but they had to kill his character off. Also I bet that "Miniature Killer" storyline that will be continue next season is going to end up with an extremely disappointing conclusion.

The only thing good about the CSI's being on CBS is that unlike the original Law & Order & NBC sticking with it dispite sinking ratings for the show, CBS will most likely cancel the CSI's that get to the 6-7 million viewers a week mark.

I really, really hope thats the case with CSI: Miami.
Old 08-09-07, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
As long as William Petersen stays on the original CSI, I will still watch it. Same goes with Gary Sinise on NY. I'll still watch Miami for it's cheesiness.
Old 02-02-10, 03:47 PM
Cool New Member

Re: TV shows you thought you'd like but now dislike?

I moved out of the US recently and Hulu won't work here. I have been blind buying some popular shows, and I am not loving all of them. Thought I would.

Weeds- hated it
Deadwood- didn't like

Really hated Trueblood, the worst TV show I've seen in a long time

Six Feet Under(1st season) was good, but hate the crazy brother thing. Not sure if I would like the rest of the seasons.

OK:
The Tudors, bit boring since you know the outcome. I also was stupid and thought Henry was going to be played by the actor from the Dahmer movie, don't know how I got them mixed up.

Californication, watched a few episodes

Good:
Dexter- the first season was slow for me(hated Deb and too many flashbacks). Almost didn't watch season 2, but glad I did, loved it. Watching season 3 soon.

Brotherhood is on the way. Also got Extras, Friday Night Lights, Farscape, and Lost.

Gave up on The Office after season 4, and recently started 30 rock-takes it's place perfectly.

Anybody have any shows in mind I should try, they have to be on DVD though. Thanks.