Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

So You Think You Can Dance - "Top 10" (7/25-26/07)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

So You Think You Can Dance - "Top 10" (7/25-26/07)

Old 07-25-07, 02:58 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 20,726
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So You Think You Can Dance - "Top 10" (7/25-26/07)

I was bad and read the whole spoiler report on Monday's taping.

Hope this is accurate, really interesting pairs. The solos should be interesting too. New partners said to be:
Spoiler:
Pasha and Lauren, Hiphop, Shane Sparks,

Kameron and Sabra, Contemporary, Tyce Diorio

Danny and Lacey, Samba, Dmitry Chaplin & Heidi Groskreutz

Dominic and Jaimie, Viennese Waltz, Toni Redpath

Neil and Sara, Disco, Doriana Sanchez
Old 07-25-07, 03:05 PM
  #2  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Wheaton MD
Posts: 16,215
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger
I was bad and read the whole spoiler report on Monday's taping.

Hope this is accurate, really interesting pairs. The solos should be interesting too. New partners said to be:
Spoiler:
Pasha and Lauren, Hiphop, Shane Sparks,

Kameron and Sabra, Contemporary, Tyce Diorio

Danny and Lacey, Samba, Dmitry Chaplin & Heidi Groskreutz

Dominic and Jaimie, Viennese Waltz, Toni Redpath

Neil and Sara, Disco, Doriana Sanchez
Well if that's true, they...
Spoiler:

... screwed up not having Wade do a routine this week. He should do a routine every week.
Old 07-25-07, 03:07 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 20,726
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spoiler:
Wade is said to choregraph the solos.
Old 07-25-07, 05:47 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Augusta, GA USA
Posts: 2,131
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who else thinks

Spoiler:
That the Dominic and Jaimie waltz is going to turn out awful. That's the only one I can see possibly being bad.


This should be interesting with the new pairings.
Old 07-25-07, 06:10 PM
  #5  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Wheaton MD
Posts: 16,215
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shilex
Who else thinks

Spoiler:
That the Dominic and Jaimie waltz is going to turn out awful. That's the only one I can see possibly being bad.


This should be interesting with the new pairings.
Spoiler:
Jamie is an excellent Waltzer, so it might not be too bad. I mean she even carried Hok. I expect Sabra and Kameron to suck tonight. Kameron is easily the worst of the bunch and Sabra isn't as good as Lacey, so I don't think she'll be able to carry him.


Man these spoiler things are annoying.
Old 07-25-07, 08:03 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Earth ....
Posts: 4,703
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is not a spoiler and only my opinion but I think that the judges have irrevocably harmed Danny's chances of winning the competition with the "I think you are too arrogant" comments during the audition stages. In all likelihood the judges know most of the dancers auditioning and their skills so they have a good idea of who they will take. Danny probably was cocky but very talented and they singled him out. I do think the comments by the judges put the audience against him such that he has been in the bottom a couple of times.

Anyone else think due to the format and style (audience seem to reward strong dancers who do tricks and the woman generally have to follow her partner during the dancing) of the show, it will be difficult for a woman to win?
Old 07-25-07, 08:14 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Florida, one time home of the space shuttle
Posts: 3,278
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chowderhead
this is not a spoiler and only my opinion but I think that the judges have irrevocably harmed Danny's chances of winning the competition with the "I think you are too arrogant" comments during the audition stages. In all likelihood the judges know most of the dancers auditioning and their skills so they have a good idea of who they will take. Danny probably was cocky but very talented and they singled him out. I do think the comments by the judges put the audience against him such that he has been in the bottom a couple of times.

Anyone else think due to the format and style (audience seem to reward strong dancers who do tricks and the woman generally have to follow her partner during the dancing) of the show, it will be difficult for a woman to win?
I agree, I dont think America would have taken that away from his performances, had they not set him up to be that way. On the official SYTYCD thread, he is pretty much hated for that reason. So unfair.

I actually think they want a girl to win this year, giving that the last 2 years winners have been guys. That's why they sent some strong guy dancers packing in the beginning. (Ricky, Jimmy) and probably Danny soon. If it is a 3rd, gonna be hard to have girls feel they have a chance and even want to audition. The thing besides the guys with their impressive tricks, is that a lot of teenage girls watch this show, and vote for the guys. But hey, same can be said for AI and the girls have won thier fair share.
Old 07-25-07, 08:16 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 12,966
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheher they singled Danny out for being arrogant or not he just doesn't have the personality to garner votes. Travis last year knew he could dance also and could have easily have had the same stigma attached to him but he had a personality that the audience could get behind. Danny doesn't have the personality and does come off as cocky.
Old 07-25-07, 09:00 PM
  #9  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Wheaton MD
Posts: 16,215
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by magiccmom
I agree, I dont think America would have taken that away from his performances, had they not set him up to be that way. On the official SYTYCD thread, he is pretty much hated for that reason. So unfair.
I picked up on arrogance when he laughed during the elimination session with Jesus, Neil, and him. That was well before they said anything.
Old 07-25-07, 09:35 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Florida, one time home of the space shuttle
Posts: 3,278
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by matta
I picked up on arrogance when he laughed during the elimination session with Jesus, Neil, and him. That was well before they said anything.
Nope, they said he was arrogant at the auditions, when they picked him to go to Vegas.
Old 07-25-07, 09:37 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,618
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really did not like the episode on the whole that much.

The Wade routine did not do a whole lot for me.

I think Kameron is gone from the guy side. I think the woman will come down to Jaimie and Lauren, with Jaimie going home since she was the worse of the two in both performances tonight.
Old 07-25-07, 09:47 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 12,966
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by magiccmom
Nope, they said he was arrogant at the auditions, when they picked him to go to Vegas.

I think they said something similar about Dominic as well didn't they? Strange how that hasn't stayed with him the way it has with Danny.
Old 07-25-07, 09:48 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 20,726
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK. On tonight's episode - Wade's choregraphy was pretty good.

Why did they start with Nigel and not the guest judge?

All the girls were great with their solos, but it seemed like only Danny, Kameron, and Neil did well on the guys' side. It is hard to pick between those 8 on the solo alone.

Must have been tough to learn the partner dance plus the complicated solo in such a short time.

Partner dances:
Pasha-Lauren - good dance but they could have went with better costumes.
Jaimie-Dominic - not bad but not great. Wouldn't be surprised if both are cut this week.
Sabra-Kameron - I think Kameron has improved a lot this week. Sabra was great as always.
Lacey-Danny - hot. Lacey finally impressed me.
Sara-Neil - lots of fun. Hope they both are safe.
Old 07-25-07, 09:52 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 12,966
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm only half way through and I can no longer watch the solo. Not a good idea to do the same song and routine 10 times in one night.
Old 07-25-07, 10:45 PM
  #15  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Wheaton MD
Posts: 16,215
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by magiccmom
Nope, they said he was arrogant at the auditions, when they picked him to go to Vegas.
I must have missed that. Still, his laughing when they made the comment about trying to decide the worst of those three did not go over all that well.
Old 07-25-07, 11:20 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 20,726
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by matta
I must have missed that. Still, his laughing when they made the comment about trying to decide the worst of those three did not go over all that well.
I don't remember that but I'm willing to believe that he was just trying to stay loose.

My view is that sometimes people in power position ENJOY watching people squirm as suspense builds up against them. Some people will absolutely refuse to give those power people that satisifcation and I totally respect that. But that may not have been why he was laughing, I can't say.

I think Danny is the top male dancer, Neil being close, but I guess Danny might be cut this week.

I actually voted for Kameron this week. I thought he made some improvements even though he wasn't the best dancer.
Old 07-26-07, 05:21 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Augusta, GA USA
Posts: 2,131
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man, I watched the first couple of solos but really got sick of them. Exact same dance by all 10 contestants. Hated watching them "scream" everytime.

I think what bugs people about Danny is that he tends to dance more for the camera than for himself. He's detached, but I really enjoyed his dance with Lacey. It was surprisingly hot.

I really think Kameron should go (but I think he's popular enough to get votes, which leaves Danny on the chopping block). With the girls I think Lauren or Jaimie's gonna go (most likely Jaimie since she never gets the votes anyway). It kinda stinks that America votes for who stays now, because it just becomes a popularity contest as opposed to a dance contest.
Old 07-26-07, 05:25 PM
  #18  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Wheaton MD
Posts: 16,215
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger
I don't remember that but I'm willing to believe that he was just trying to stay loose.
It didn't look like that to me. He kept trying to cover his mouth to hide the laughter, and eventually bent over and someone gave him a shot in the arm to stop him. It was when Nigel was talking about how hard it was to pick the worst one of the group.
Old 07-26-07, 05:27 PM
  #19  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Wheaton MD
Posts: 16,215
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shilex
Man, I watched the first couple of solos but really got sick of them. Exact same dance by all 10 contestants. Hated watching them "scream" everytime.
The problem was that the solo sucked. That was the first piece by Wade that I really, really didn't like. In fact, most of the performances were boring (due to choreography, not dancers) so I ended up fastforwarding through most of it.
Old 07-26-07, 05:33 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Florida, one time home of the space shuttle
Posts: 3,278
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by matta
It didn't look like that to me. He kept trying to cover his mouth to hide the laughter, and eventually bent over and someone gave him a shot in the arm to stop him. It was when Nigel was talking about how hard it was to pick the worst one of the group.
Couple schools of thought on that one....per another thread...just throwing it out there...who knows what he was thinking?

...He didnt start laughing until Nigel said, that America didnt vote you in the bottom 3, they just didnt vote you for their favorite..or something like that. It was pretty silly whatever he said.

...that it was nervous laughter...

Anyway, Danny is a master technician, but I do agree he has trouble connecting to an audience..but I tend to prefer that than the constant mugging and "I love you America" that some of the other dancers have.

Interesting the only person that DialIdol says is completely safe is
Spoiler:
Pasha!
Old 07-26-07, 05:42 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 20,726
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I don't remember the Danny laugh but he is a good dancer and deserves to stay on. "Dancey" may have saved him.

I liked the choregraphy (and the music) for the solo but I understand that some people got tired of it. But I still preferred this over the dance for life solos because those often seemed to lack creativity and structure - although I think some partner suffer from that too.

Only thing that bothers me a bit is how the partner dance style sometimes just seems so inconsistent - Pasha-Lauren and Anya-Danny's hip-hop were totally different from Kameron-Lacey and Sabra-Dominic's hip-hop. It is like some dances are just set to hurt certain pairs.
Old 07-26-07, 10:11 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 20,726
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YES! Danny and Neil were both finally safe!

At last, I have faith in America again.

Jaimie and Kameron are gone, but hey, they still have the tour.
Old 07-26-07, 10:33 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Augusta, GA USA
Posts: 2,131
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised America's voting got it right. I guess the people who watch this show are supporting good performances and dancing, as opposed to personality. Color me shocked.

You know what does piss me off though. That the judges had to apologize for offending someone when they were preaching "peace" in last night's solos. What the hell? Someone actually complained that they were being unpatriotic? Ridiculous. No one should have to apologize for that.
Old 07-26-07, 10:37 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 20,726
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A tiny percentage of viewers probbaly complained. Maybe some of the dancers didn't want to do it.
Old 07-26-07, 10:51 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Florida, one time home of the space shuttle
Posts: 3,278
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger
A tiny percentage of viewers probbaly complained. Maybe some of the dancers didn't want to do it.
You have no idea of the flap it has caused....according to the SYTYCD website. At first I thought it was just people being silly, but it raged out of control and the whole website turned into a political forum...on both issues, of the jacket, and the dance. I CAN NOT believe it. I didnt hear this issue when Blake sang "Imagine" on AI, and yet dancing to a song about peace seems to have set people on fire. Ridiculous.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.