Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Watching Smallvile S6 in HD wondering about Lois & Clark

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-07, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Watching Smallvile S6 in HD wondering about Lois & Clark

So I'm witnessing the Jimmy/Chloe deterioration and the start of Lois & Clark tonight. Got me thinking about the original Lois & Clark with Terri Hatcher. I saw very little of it. Is it worth a DVD rental? Does it tie itself up well or did ABC cancel it on a cliffhanger? Please advise.

THANKS!
Old 07-20-07, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The first season of Lois & Clark is really fun. And it has a good ending. You can just watch season one and stop.

The later seasons are notorious for being really, really, really bad.
Old 07-20-07, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I tried to watch this show a few years back. I bought the first season for $20, and I didn't really get into it much at all.
Old 07-20-07, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's called Lois & Clark for a reason.
Old 07-20-07, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Lois & Clark is a fun, albeit silly at times, show. It's probably the most romantic of any Superman incarnation, and while Dean Cain doesn't make a great Superman, he's probably the BEST Clark Kent we've seen...at least on a TV version (sorry Mr. Welling).

Oh, and Teri Hatcher is the BEST LOIS EVER.
Old 07-20-07, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt

Agreed.
Old 07-20-07, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts
Gotta disagree, my friend.

Gotta disagree.

I never liked Lois and Clark much - it's about one step away from putting "BAM!" and "KAPLOWEE!" up on the screen when Superman throws a punch. No thanks.
Old 10-28-08, 07:03 PM

Gotta disagree on both of those two fronts. The "Superman" character doesn't even have that much screen time in any given episode. Maybe 5 minutes screen time? There were very little fight scenes to begin with. And smallville's Lois Lane as a teenybopper ridiculous concept to me, what is she even doing there to begin with? Teri Hatcher with Margot Kidder as a close second will always be the two that are the most remembered as Lois Lane. I think most guys will choose Erica Durance because she's [the actress] is younger and 'hotter'.

Lois & Clark is a fun, albeit silly at times, show. It's probably the most romantic of any Superman incarnation, and while Dean Cain doesn't make a great Superman, he's probably the BEST Clark Kent we've seen...at least on a TV version (sorry Mr. Welling).

That is so true. His Superman gave me much left to be desired, but his Clark Kent is the best live action interpretation for me. When picturing Superman Christopher Reeve comes to mind, but as CK its Dean Cain to me. Season 1 of Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman (that's the full title) is worth buying. If you like it enough to continue (which will most likely be the case to be honest!) buy season 2 and 3. However, skip season four like the plague. Unless curiosity gets the best of you, at best just rent it, lol.

Last edited by bychance; 10-28-08 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-28-08, 07:39 PM

The concept as by the name of the series was Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman. This universe was based somewhat on the "reboot" Bryne Superman comic. Clark's parents are still alive and Clark was not the nerdy, wimp character protrayed in Superman: The Movie or the comics pre-Bryne era.

I actually enjoyed the first 3.5 seasons of Lois & Clark. I agree with bychance if you have Netflix rent Season 1, and watch till Season 3. Unless you are a completist at heart.

But I have to point out to you that the series came out in 1993, no matter how serious it tried to be, it is first a comic book series, even though the original intent was to make it something else.
Old 10-28-08, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Its a great show. It really shows how human Clark can be, and how much he cares for Lois. And lets not forget John Shea as Lex, who was the first 'business man' Lex on tv/movies.
Old 10-29-08, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by bychance
Teri Hatcher with Margot Kidder as a close second will always be the two that are the most remembered as Lois Lane.
No love for Noel Neill?
Old 10-29-08, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lets not forget Phyllis Coates. Who???

Noel Neill had that snappy comeback dialog down.
Old 10-29-08, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
John Shea's Luthor was great! A bit over the top but man, did he enjoy being evil.

I never cared too much for Season 1 but 2 & 3 were very good.

Skip Season 4.
Old 10-29-08, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
I'd actually throw TAS Lois out there as one of the best portrails of the character. Yes the "look" is subjective due to being both a cartoon and the animation style, but I thought she had the right amount of confidence and sassy without coming across as whiny and effeminate.

As for L&C I don't remember too much of it even though I remember watching it at the time. I recall some neat stories with alternate realities and time travel. I believe my firend - a huge comic fan - bought the dvds and said they didn't hold up well to what he remembered.
Old 10-29-08, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bychance
I think most guys will choose Erica Durance because she's [the actress] is younger and 'hotter'.
Agreed. And I will choose her for this reason.
Old 10-29-08, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kvrdave
Agreed. And I will choose her for this reason.
So can we start debating who the best Clark is now?
Old 10-29-08, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
So can we start debating who the best Clark is now?
I'd have to brush up, but based on screen time I think I have to go with Dean.

Tom doesn't get to play because he's a different age Clark.

Tom D doesn't count because I think that Clark was too smart and too Batmaneque.

CR was too dorky.

I'd like to say BR, but honestly he didn't have enough screen time as CK in SR. However, I liked what I saw. If he's given the opportunity to reprise the role and is given more time as Clark I think I'd feel confident in saying BR is the best Clark.