Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Traveler "The Exchange"-----Series/Season Finale 7/18/07

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-07, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Originally Posted by JuryDuty
Good answer. But while I agree with his statement that we contribute to a show's cancellation when we don't watch them because of fear of cancellation, I really don't think this is the public's fault. If networks would give shows good chances, we wouldn't have this fear in the first place.
I think television has become so cut throat nowadays, that a brand new TV show needs to score in the 10M + viewer range right when it premieres otherwise it's labeled as a flop and will be canned. The only exceptions were Studio 60, which NBC gave a full season despiate barely over 7M viewers and same with Friday Night Lights. It doesn't help that so many young TV viewers have very short attention spans and don't stick with alot of serialized shows like Traveler, Jericho etic.
Old 07-31-07, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
I think there are shows that can be labeled as "sure things" and others that are "iffy." You mentioned that you refused to watch Heroes because of this fear, but if there was any drama that premiered last fall that was a "sure thing" for a full season, it was definitely Heroes. It was in an awesome timeslot, and NBC promoted the heck out of it. Traveler on the other hand, was essentially dumped to the summer and even ABC's President said that didn't care to support the show and I think that was the nail in the coffin.
Studio60 was the "sure" thing over at NBC Peacock Network at the 2006 upfront

"Studio 60," a drama about what goes on behind the scenes at a sketch comedy show by far received the most favorable buzz.
"Heroes," which was the second most anticipated new show.
CBS's nuclear apocalypse-themed drama "Jericho," which was the third most anticipated new show
"30 Rock" ranked as the fourth most eagerly awaited new show.

I think that 2 out of 4 were ratings duds. Heroes dropped quite a bit after the hiatus and Jericho survived only after the campaign to save it.

To be fair, ABC previewed Traveler on May 10 during sweeps after Grey's Anatomy. It gave it the best possible time slot it could to promote the show.

It was an ok show but there was no closure because they cut down on the episode order from 13 to 8 so that is ABC's fault.

The failure of these serials is not hard to see. People are already invested in so many other serials that it's hard to add one more. Given the network's track record, I don't blame people. It's a vicious circle.
Old 08-17-07, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
There's more on this over at "Ask Matt" again on tvguide.com. Frankly I'm rather pissed at Matt's answer to this other question. Moreso, I'm pissed at the comments from the ABC president on the subject!
Old 08-17-07, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk God

If ABC wasn't happy with the development of this show, why did they bother spending the money to film these 8 episodes? I think they should have re-tooled the pilot and then aim to get the show ready for mid-season. It sounds to me that ABC's president hated the show which is why he chose not to promote it and then burn it off.
Old 09-02-07, 04:41 PM
HEM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help out our campaign and donate!
http://www.porters-and-soldiers.com/....0.html.0.html

We need as many people as possible to get involved in this.

Also, September 7th is going to be our mass-attack day: for emails/letters/calls to TNT. However, start contacting them IMMEDIATELY. As much as, or more than, you did ABC; it is so important that they hear us!

TNT's Info:

1010 Techwood Dr. NW
Atlanta GA 30318

404-885-4538

[email protected]

Info from: http://www.tnt.tv/contactus/addresses/
Old 09-02-07, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Meh.
Old 09-02-07, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With Jericho, they were able to convince CBS partly because the show initially started out with good ratings which later dipped. This show started with bad ratings and got worse, and ABC has already stated that the show didn't develop as they were hoping it would, so i'd say that it's a lost cause for this show.
Old 09-03-07, 01:56 AM
HEM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only reason the show didn't do well is because it got stuck in the summer with absolutely no promotion. I never once saw a commercial for it after it's first airing. And that was the preview of it, which did pretty well if I remember correctly. ABC had no intention of bringing it back from the very beginning. Sure, it's hopeless to try and convince them to change their mind. But TNT just might listen. You'll never know unless you actually try.

If you care enough about the show, it wouldn't hurt to help out the effort would it? That's the reason so many shows don't make it. There's not enough loyal fans out there.

Last edited by HEM; 09-03-07 at 02:03 AM.
Old 09-28-07, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Well, it's a little late now, but the creator of Traveler, David DiGilio, posted a really comprehensive blog that answers all the loose ends this show left and how the show would have ended. He indicates the show would have run 3 seasons.

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-en...sure/800023249
Old 09-28-07, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Haven't read it yet, but that pisses me off. Why could you back a complete/compact show for 3 years and then be done? Instead you "waste" a summer all for nothing.

I hope all their new programming dies!!!...after Fox's of course.