John From Cincinnati - "His Visit: Day Five" - 7/15/07

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

John From Cincinnati - "His Visit: Day Five" - 7/15/07

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-07, 05:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just finished this episode. Now that I think about it and have read the responses on here, the speech John gives at the end seems almost like a Shakespearean soliloquy, as if getting to know these characters and their quirks firsthand, then given this quick overview of each key character along with a bit of their history and what might/will happen to them down the road. I'll definitely have to watch it again and read the above transcript, as I either missed or didn't understand the majority of what was said, but it's definitely grabbed my attention.
Old 07-17-07, 07:40 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd guess it is one of the guys Joe could not save in Vietnam. My rational is that we are seeing things in that sequence as they could have been, not as they are.

I've seen several people mention John is God/Jesus. I'm leaning a different way, but that whole trinity thing makes the situation difficult. When they walked up on the Sean skateboarding out back, after the accident, and everyone was staring at Sean, someone asked John what they were looking at and he replied "God."

I interpret that as either "God is with this boy/this act" (in the same way the old testament encourages people to show their joy in God through dance or song) or that Sean is God/Jesus/trinity-related. John is just some other kind of holy agent, while portions of the trinity are in Mitch/Butchy/Sean.

The corpse has got me a bit confused. From the previous episodes I was leaning towards that room representing the hotel owners first homosexual act/action, even though he kept mentioning dead people. IE: a figurative ghosts as memories rather than a literal ghosts as dead-people.

The motel sequence was clearly a what-if, but I can't remember if they covered other places as well? If they did then it's going to make it hard to tell what really happened and what was just possibilities being shown.

Very cool show.
Old 07-17-07, 08:21 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MrX
I think that's the guy with the Yost website from the bar, isn't it?
Old 07-17-07, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm pretty sure the guy standing next to Dr. Wolcott is the same dweeby computer guy who had his head under Trixie's shirt earlier in the show.

And the creepy gang-looking guy is the guy that stabbed John.
Old 07-17-07, 09:16 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by aktick
I think that's the guy with the Yost website from the bar, isn't it?
Yeah, you're right
Old 07-17-07, 12:59 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

The guy standing next to Joe is the guy who stabbed John
Old 07-17-07, 01:08 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Where's Bruce Greenwood?
Old 07-17-07, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MrX
On the HBO site one of the writers in their blog about the episode said Cissy really did jerk him off.

"You hurt my feelings gram, you did"

That may have been the worst delivery of a line in television history.

Besides the guy that was next to Joe, right before that the doctor was standing with someone I don't think we've seen either. I'll post some screen caps.
Thanks for that clarification on Cissy and Butchie.

My wife has been saying, "You hurt my feelings Gram, you did!" since the episode aired. Damn, that boy cannot act.
Old 07-17-07, 02:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
[Guy next to Joe stabbed John]

No, I don't think so. Credits said this is his first appearance, and if he stabbed John it would be his second. And ... I think the guy that stabbed John was latino?
Old 07-17-07, 04:10 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by gcbrowni
[Guy next to Joe stabbed John]

No, I don't think so. Credits said this is his first appearance, and if he stabbed John it would be his second. And ... I think the guy that stabbed John was latino?
That's what I thought...

And again, the 2nd time John said "not Aleman," it showed a closeup of the guy standing next to Vietnam Joe. Aleman has to mean "German" in Spanish. So that guy isn't German?
Old 07-17-07, 05:20 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Looks like the same guy to me?
Old 07-17-07, 07:08 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by MrX
Looks like the same guy to me?
Huh, guess so. Could've swore he was Mexican...maybe he sounded much more Mexican than he looks in a still photo. But he's not German!
Old 07-17-07, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I'll post here just cause , I'm just now watching this show 3 episodes in lol wtf, no really WTF. Interesting but wow wtf. More to follow lol.
Old 07-17-07, 11:21 PM
Banned

This is the most bizarre thing I've ever seen. Can't wait till next week!
Old 07-18-07, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MrX
"You hurt my feelings gram, you did"

That may have been the worst delivery of a line in television history.
Agree, that was horrendous!
Old 07-18-07, 12:36 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by skatefan20

I think that line played more into Cissy wanting to kill herself than her jerking off Butchie.
Old 07-18-07, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MrX

I think that line played more into Cissy wanting to kill herself than her jerking off Butchie.

Oh, and John's expression with the reveal of Cissy whacking off a 13-yr-old Butchie was definitely one of the most priceless moments of the last hour.

Old 07-18-07, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Question: Why exactly are the two gangsters staying at that place? Can't follow the show all time...
Old 07-18-07, 02:04 PM

Huh, guess so. Could've swore he was Mexican...maybe he sounded much more Mexican than he looks in a still photo. But he's not German!
Well, the guy could be German Hispanic. Since he's involved in the show again, we'll probably be figuring out more about him. Hopefully.
Old 07-18-07, 02:30 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Frenzy
Question: Why exactly are the two gangsters staying at that place? Can't follow the show all time...
All I know is they're from Hawaii, and Freddy is a Butchie Yost fan (but also his dealer), and has been giving him fake shit so he can't OD and kill himself. I think Freddy has sort of taken it upon himself to be a "guardian" of sorts, for Butchie.
Old 07-18-07, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All I know is they're from Hawaii, and Freddy is a Butchie Yost fan (but also his dealer), and has been giving him fake shit so he can't OD and kill himself. I think Freddy has sort of taken it upon himself to be a "guardian" of sorts, for Butchie.
Thanks. Would be a nice if the actors would speak slower for me.
Old 07-18-07, 11:30 PM

yeah I still don't get what the show is about and this episode reminded me a lot of Lynch stuff. I'll keep watching but somehow I don't think we will see too many seasons.
Old 07-19-07, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are you sitting in your kitchen on 7th street, thinking of blowing off your head with your gun you got back from Kai’s trailer? Have you completely run out of whatever let you put up with your *beep* husband for 31 years…do you feel that everything you ever touched in your entire life, you turned to *beep* and mud? Are you ashamed, Cissy, that once when Mitch was on one of his *beep* retreats and you were loaded on acid and Butchie was 13 and he’s just won his first contest and you were so proud of him for not being Mitch, and you went into his room and he was whipping his skippy, then you said: “Let me show you how to do that.” (John starts motioning the “jerk-off” motion. Sissy gasps in shock, then freezes for a moment. She looks back at John and he starts the jerk-off motion again. Cissy grabs the gun and points it at him, then pulls the trigger several times. The gun is empty) Have you wanted to kill yourself every day since, Cissy? And not even known it? And turned yourself into the worst ball-buster known to man, so no one would be with you, and you wouldn’t have to be afraid that you’d ever do something like that again. That’s how ashamed of yourself you were? (Cissy breaks down and sobs) Do you think now Shaun, who you loved so much and tried to make a life for, now you turned around and hurt his feelings so bad? (sobbing, she shakes her head yes) Do you hurt so bad, you want it to just quit and be over? Everything? (She’s nodding yes) Well, let me tell you about our offer, Cissy. We prefer you don’t. We wish you wouldn’t. Our offer is: keep going, feeling just as miserable, or worse. Hold the gun under the spigot and turn the water on. Spare Shaun finding you dead in the kitchen. And as a bonus, you’ll also receive … his love. Act now, Cissy. Baptize that *beep* pistol! (She takes the gun and holds it under the running tap. As she looks up again, John has vanished)
Old 07-19-07, 05:08 PM
Suspended

Thanks for that.

I was looking at the HBO site, and they actually seem to have some pretty good info there, "did you know" type stuff, in addition to helping make sense of certain things.

http://www.hbo.com/johnfromcincinnat...episode06.html

Just select "Inside the Episode" on each ep.

Bill (Ed O'Neil) and Freddy (Dayton Callie) were actually playing the harmonica and sax.
Old 07-21-07, 07:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by joefrog91
Thanks for that clarification on Cissy and Butchie.

My wife has been saying, "You hurt my feelings Gram, you did!" since the episode aired. Damn, that boy cannot act.
But he sure can surf and skate!

Chris

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.