Big Love - "Vision Thing" 7/9/07

Old 07-09-07, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Big Love - "Vision Thing" 7/9/07

"Vision Thing"
Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Discussing his sideline business with Don over lunch at a local diner, Bill finds himself drawn to an attractive young waitress named Ana. Nicki worries over Wayne's enrollment at a Catholic school (which allows her and Bill to be a "public" couple) after finding him playing with rosary beads.

Oh dear...
Old 07-09-07, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The romantic interest must be a real looker! Can't wait to see this one!
Old 07-09-07, 11:04 AM
Suspended

The only reason Bill's a polygamist is to justify himself as a man-slut.
Old 07-09-07, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I'll bet it's really nothing.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-12-07 at 12:49 AM.
Old 07-09-07, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
What did Bill's mom mean when said imagine if we opened them up? Is the laundry mat just a front for something else?
Old 07-09-07, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigDaddy
What did Bill's mom mean when said imagine if we opened them up? Is the laundry mat just a front for something else?
This caught me off guard as well. Was there anyone else in the place when she called Bill from the laundry mat earlier this season?

I liked the reference to Roman's offing of Bill's grandfather. I hope they explain/explore more backstory of this type as the season progresses.

Rhonda is going to be a huge pain in the ass for whoever ends up with her, and Margene certainly must be up to no good.
Old 07-09-07, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That young chick (Roman's 16yr old fiance) is an f'ing wackjob.

Bill's young wife....so flurkin' cute/hot . She' s a mormon Kristin Davis (who btw is f'ing 42?!! IMDB can be so cruel. )

-p
Old 07-10-07, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
One of the best episodes of this show.
Old 07-10-07, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by johnnysd
One of the best episodes of this show.
This is becoming a broken record in these threads for this season.

They keep churning out one great episode after another.
Old 07-10-07, 01:29 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts
I'm going to guess they are actually laundering money for someone? Naively maybe? As eddie's gf said they can't spend it yet. but he said he only needed it for 30 days.. Somethings gonna come of this.

I loved the use of music in this episode, and the whole nikki and the catholic church segment was excellent. As is the Margene becoming stronger theme that is brewing. Loved seeing her in the diner with Ana..
Old 07-10-07, 02:46 AM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by dolphinboy
This is becoming a broken record in these threads for this season.

They keep churning out one great episode after another.
ya, but it's true.

I love the complexity and realism of the characters especially emptionally, contrasted with the bizzare, creepy and strange undercurrents that this show has, without the show ever losing its footing or seeming unrealistic or unbelievable. It is really something.

Little details like (tonight): Margene maybe being as much a Catholic as a mormon. In fact, you could make the argument that her naivete has led her to almost be brainwashed and recruited like a cult into the Hendrick's family.

Or (couple weeks ago) the fact that Barb is a truly great person, who actually deep down does not believe in polygamy and might even find it a little distasteful, but does it out of here deep love for Bill and her extended family.

It is such a deep and subtle show with no real action that I am surprised it has found an audience, but it is of the highest quality HBO has done, and it draws you on.

Having said all that, I still think tonights episode was ESPECIALLY good.
Old 07-10-07, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Man, I hope Bill doesn't try to get a 4th wife just because it would kill Barb. Margene just wants a friend.
Old 07-10-07, 03:43 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't realise it but read on another forum that Ana is the same chick who was in Entourage a few episodes ago, when Vince was trying to get financing from the Eastern European Guy..

So funny, 2 completely different characters.
Old 07-10-07, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
I didn't realise it but read on another forum that Ana is the same chick who was in Entourage a few episodes ago, when Vince was trying to get financing from the Eastern European Guy..

So funny, 2 completely different characters.
THAT's why she looked familiar! Somehow she seemed cuter in Big Love. Maybe it's the attitude.

BTW, and this is a total OT geek observation: the two kids were playing with Star Wars legos. I recognized the Imperial Shuttle and the Republic Gunship. (I used to collect these things).

What's weird is that neither set has been on the market for years. The gunship came out in 2002 and actually gets about $300 now on the aftermarket. I'm really curious why these toys were used, unless they are just stock toys the props dept. for HBO has laying around. Or maybe Bill's a cheap bastard and makes the boys play with toys the older kids used to use.
Old 07-10-07, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I must've missed something. How can Bill be seen as the boys father in public at the Catholic School without worrying about being exposed?
Old 07-10-07, 05:14 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

It's appears to be in a completely different town, so no-one there would know him.
Old 07-10-07, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
I must've missed something. How can Bill be seen as the boys father in public at the Catholic School without worrying about being exposed?

Because it's quite a ways away from where they live and I would assumefrom the stores? Doesn't seem that logical.
Old 07-10-07, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Timber
Because it's quite a ways away from where they live and I would assumefrom the stores? Doesn't seem that logical.
Especially given his big billboards, the mother of the year stuff, etc.
Old 07-10-07, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I love the complexity and realism of the characters especially emptionally, contrasted with the bizzare, creepy and strange undercurrents that this show has, without the show ever losing its footing or seeming unrealistic or unbelievable. It is really something.

It is such a deep and subtle show with no real action that I am surprised it has found an audience, but it is of the highest quality HBO has done, and it draws you on.
Perfectly stated. Big Love really is a human drama show and I'm loving it. I love the different takes on polygamy the show presents, without ever saying which way is right or wrong (the compound is painted as a bad place, but not everyone who lives there).

Man the waitress is a real charmer. I'd gorge on her pie too (sorry, but this is DVDtalk after all).

Great episode.
Old 07-11-07, 01:31 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts
I thought the previous 2 episodes were better but still a solid episode.

Like the waitress
Old 07-11-07, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think she puts the money in the cans and then labels them to tell her how much is in each (the bother said something about 11 cans of peas). She must then stock them in the little store at the gas station where she also works. I guess they aren't really open for business.

So Lois put Wanda away for being a whack job? She's just as whacked in many respects.

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
What's weird is that neither set has been on the market for years. The gunship came out in 2002 and actually gets about $300 now on the aftermarket. I'm really curious why these toys were used, unless they are just stock toys the props dept. for HBO has laying around. Or maybe Bill's a cheap bastard and makes the boys play with toys the older kids used to use.
Not wierd at all. If I brought my kids over to my parents' house, they could still play with my old Legos. A lot of people don't throw that stuff out until the kids go to college. Ben is only 16 so 5-6 years ago he could have still been playing with that stuff. Same with Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars - they'd still be kicking around too. Kids with imagination don't give a rat's ass how old the blocks are if they can still build stuff with them.
Old 07-11-07, 09:45 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Not wierd at all. If I brought my kids over to my parents' house, they could still play with my old Legos. A lot of people don't throw that stuff out until the kids go to college. Ben is only 16 so 5-6 years ago he could have still been playing with that stuff. Same with Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars - they'd still be kicking around too. Kids with imagination don't give a rat's ass how old the blocks are if they can still build stuff with them.
Imagine that, kids playing with something other than video games.
Old 07-11-07, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan

My point was more about where the props people got the toys from. The concept of older toys is fine. But unless they've had it around for a while (and before Big Love even existed), I can't imagine the props department going out of their way to procure a 5-year old and out of production model unless they spefically wanted it, or someone just happened to have it.

Anyway, that's probably way more than needs to be said on the subject - again I just thought the toys' inclusion was odd given the went out of production before Big Love existed.
Old 07-11-07, 10:14 AM

The theme of Bill slowly becoming Roman is furthered. Another wife, shady business decisions, Bending his morals, etc.

Great show.
Old 07-12-07, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I'll bet it's really nothing.
[the waitress]

...or maybe not.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.