Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Big Brother Season 8 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-07, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
What would dramatically improve this show is if it were on once a week. There is nowhere near enough entertainment there to warrant how many hours a week this show commands. That, and just drop the pretense of having anything live except the eviction. Typically there is some production fiasco anyway, and most challenges come off looking very amateurish and lame when shown live.
Old 07-08-07, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Needle
What would dramatically improve this show is if it were on once a week. There is nowhere near enough entertainment there to warrant how many hours a week this show commands. That, and just drop the pretense of having anything live except the eviction. Typically there is some production fiasco anyway, and most challenges come off looking very amateurish and lame when shown live.
I think 3 times a week is a perfect amount of TV time. Each episode has it's own theme with the Live show, the Nomination show, and the POV/best of the week show. Anything more then 3 is overkill and later in the game near the end when they cut some episodes during the week I think it suffers.
Old 07-08-07, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
ok, so I'm watching one of the After Dark eps and had a question, what's the deal with the "no singing" stuff? is it copyright related or something?
Well, yeah, CBS would have to pay for songs sung by the houseguest when they are aired on the show or the livefeeds. CBS ain't about to do that if they can help it, thus the "no singing" rule that's in place in the house, but many houseguests can't stop themselves from singing inside the house from time to time, and the producers have to censor the houseguests when they start singing.
Old 07-08-07, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So have they disclosed the reason that the daughter won't talk to Evil Dick?
Old 07-08-07, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Needle
I disagree, I like the three times a week, and I'm even watching the ones on Showtime (though fast-forwarding through some). During the summer, when there's not much on, Big Brother is like crack to me. That's one of the reason why I love it, because we get the three times a week fix.

And I like the live shows precisely because things often go wrong and Chenbot fucks up her lines or declares someone the winner when they're not. That's part of the fun of having a live show. But then again, I also don't care if the challenges look amateurish. It's a bull shit, silly reality show anyway. I don't need high production values.

And it's really weird for me watching the Showtime eps, having never watch the live feeds before. It's interesting to get a glimpse at how things actually work, production wise. And of course, it's cool to get advance glimpses at strategy and knowledge of who won challenges and things.

I'm actually pretty surprised that Showtime is now putting a crawl at the bottom of the screen that says who is HOH, the nominees and the "enemies" twist, but then it also says XXXX nominee has enlisted XXXX to lobby the house to stay in the game and XXXX is getting on everyone's nerves. (yes, I used x's to avoid any spoilers). Granted, some of that stuff is already common knowledge, but I would have thought CBS would have said no to actually putting that there, though it's easy to figure out that info through conversations. But that's also part of the fun, putting your detective hat on and trying to figure out what's going on through the conversations.

Anyway, I'm just happy to have my Big Brother crack back for the summer, now more plentiful than ever.
Old 07-08-07, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Waaaahhhhhh!! My picture has a shadow!!!!!!!! Wahhhhh!!!!!!!
Old 07-08-07, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts
So are we doing weekly threads or will this become the season long thread. What the hell was wrong with Jen crying over her picture, like thats really what people are looking at you for. I was surprised by the first alliance Kali and the three guys( I don't know everyones name yet). I wonder if Joe and Dustin will ever stop fighting about who gave who Gonorrehea?
Old 07-08-07, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Jessica has the most annoying voice this season. The music playing during Jen's photo-meltdown was hilarious. Looks like mom has her 3 boys in the house, just like back home.
Old 07-08-07, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
Looks like mom has her 3 boys in the house, just like back home.
I guess that is a good way to look at it.
Old 07-09-07, 05:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The girls are horrible this year. Carol and Blond Girl are absolutely boring. Amber just cries all the time. Jameka has completely changed into a person of no substance because she's trying to fly under the radar. Danielle is just a quiet, fragile anorexic. Kail, boring mom. Jen is a breadth of fresh air with her large boobs and stereotypical Southern Californian superficiality.

Oh yeah and the line that Jessica said during the food comp was hilarious, "We have all the big guys.. and Eric"
Old 07-09-07, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
Jessica has the most annoying voice this season. The music playing during Jen's photo-meltdown was hilarious. Looks like mom has her 3 boys in the house, just like back home.

amen brother!

Every time she speaks I'm think of that scene from Jaws when Robert Shaw grades his nails on the chalkboard to get the town's attention!

Why do ALL cheerleaders have to be annoying bitches????

Can Jen be anymore shallow. How pathetic can one be over a picture

I miss Janelle already None of the girls seem to have a likeable personality thus far

Last edited by shanester; 07-09-07 at 05:56 AM.
Old 07-09-07, 08:27 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
If Eric is "America's player" shouldn't we be voting on what he does should he win the power of veto?

I wonder what Kail's "other reasons" were for her nominations? My wife suspects it's because the one girl is a single mother.
Old 07-09-07, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
If Eric is "America's player" shouldn't we be voting on what he does should he win the power of veto?

I wonder what Kail's "other reasons" were for her nominations? My wife suspects it's because the one girl is a single mother.

I was thinking the same thing. At least give the audience different choices. I wonder what his "sob" story will be

Anybody caught the announcer talking really fast when he was telling the viewers what numbers to text. It was pretty funny!
Old 07-09-07, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

so on the after dark stuff, do any of them get naked?
Old 07-09-07, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho

I'm pretty surprised she didn't put up "the gay" or "the black".
Old 07-09-07, 11:00 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

She heard the voices of her HR staff telling her not to do that.
Old 07-09-07, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

is there any nudity in the showtime after dark showings?
Old 07-09-07, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by raven56706
is there any nudity in the showtime after dark showings?
I haven't seen anything yet. another thing is that they know that they are on Showtime for those given hours as well.
Old 07-09-07, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts
Originally Posted by matta
Lack of race/age/apparent socio-economic backgrounds are an issue for me as well. I'll have to wait an see on the personality issue.

Also, is there some issue with Americans going senile this summer? It seems like TV shows now feel the need to reiterate everything 5 times an episode. For instance, in the 1 episode of "Age of Love" that I caught, they reminded you that it's the "20's" vs. the "40's" at least 10 times. Now on BB8, it's like they need to remind us who Jen is (hence the shirts) and that one of the contestants owns multiple businessess ("the whole town works for me", "I own multiple businesses", "I don't want people to vote against me for the money because I'm so successful and am a multibusiness owner", etc. That must have been mentioned 4 times in just one episode.)
Do those three guys get any screentime at all, besides when they're forming their alliance, or are they just really, really boring? At times during the ep I had completely forgotten they were in the house.

I don't think it's senility, though I do grate at Chen reminding us of the rules ever 30 seconds. It just emphasizes who they really are. Jen probably has a ton of those shirts, and Kail obviously wants everyone (outside of the house) to know how important she is in her small town. I do wonder about her strategy, though... what makes her think the three guys will go against each other, even if they do make the final 4?
Old 07-09-07, 12:56 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
Do those three guys get any screentime at all, besides when they're forming their alliance, or are they just really, really boring? At times during the ep I had completely forgotten they were in the house.
Yeah, when the one dude showed up in her room unexpectedly I thought "Who the hell is that?"
Old 07-09-07, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i was watching alittle last night... really boring.... the two hot girls and gay guy were working out on the floor
Old 07-09-07, 02:44 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

"...or are they just really, really boring?"

We have a winner!!!
Old 07-09-07, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Originally Posted by raven56706
so on the after dark stuff, do any of them get naked?
So far there has only been one very brief instance of nudity, and not from someone that probably anyone wanted to see any nudity from. Jessica and Dick were at the table talking and Joe gets out of the shower, he has his towel on but then he flashes Jessica real quick. So far, that's been about the extent of it ...

The only real advantage to watching the Showtime stuff is that you get a ton more information about strategy and how people are interacting in the house. There was stuff, like dates, that I was really surprised didn't get brought up in the last episode. And Carol one time said that the producers had told her that she was one of America's favorites and that she needs to fight really hard to stay in the game. I thought, "Oops, should we have really heard that?"

But there is something on one of the Showtime feeds that I wanted to ask about. A couple of days ago it opened with Eric talking to someone, I think Amber, on the hammock. He was very worried what the house thought of him and he mentioned the "live feed incident." Does anyone know what he's talking about?
Old 07-10-07, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MrE
"...or are they just really, really boring?"

We have a winner!!!

Seems like the entire cast is boring.
Old 07-10-07, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You know, every year I say that about Big Brother. "The cast is boring, I don't care about any of these people." Then I end up getting sucked in anyway.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.