Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

TBS now stopping shows with Ads?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-07, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlieK
Actually, 'House of Payne' got record breaking ratings for all of cable television, not just TBS. And, no, its a terrible show.
Agreed...HORRIBLE SHOW...and a bit shocked about the record breaking ratings. I don't find anything funny about Tyler Perry, his Madea sh*t, or any of his projects.

The King of Queens is the only show I catch on TBS, but I am looking forward to the second season of My Boys. Enjoyed that one last year.
Old 07-06-07, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Draven
I mention it because no one wants intrusive ads but everyone wants to skip them with their Tivo or DVR.

Ultimately, something has to give.
I know, but you made it sound like you discovered that theory. It has been an issue for 30 years or so since the VCR was first brought into our lives.
Old 07-06-07, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What is ironic is that subtle (and sometimes not-so-subtle, as in most early game shows) product placement was common in the early days of television, and commercials were much more rare than they are today. If they could find a way to go back to that model, I wouldn't complain (much). But I don't see how that could happen, since most programming now is syndicated. It would be kind of jarring to have an in-show "ad" for a product that is no longer available.

Last edited by RoboDad; 07-06-07 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-06-07, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A few years ago they were messing around with digitally altering products within shows. The examples I remember were placing Coke machines in the background of 'Law & Order' episodes and replacing Diet Coke cans on 'Friends' with 'Diet Pepsi' if the Pepsi people shelled out the money.

You pay to have your product in the show. Years later in reruns they'll switch out that brand of product with another one.
Old 07-06-07, 12:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You pay to have your product in the show. Years later in reruns they'll switch out that brand of product with another one.
That idea has limited potential for a few reasons. The most obvious is that the advertisement is limited to companies with that type of product. So instead of selling a 30 commercial during friends to the highest bidder among 200 companies with various products, they're now limited to selling a placement to the highest bidder among maybe 5 companies who sell drinks in cans. So, to make the same kind of money, the network will need many more placements than they had commercials. Also, innovate products couldn't be used. So 20 years from now when we have hovercars, they won't be able to market the new Toyota Hovercamry during Friends.
Old 07-06-07, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts
Originally Posted by j123vt_99
I know, but you made it sound like you discovered that theory. It has been an issue for 30 years or so since the VCR was first brought into our lives.
I never meant to sound like I discovered it, I've just never complained about intrusive ads on TV because I understand why they have to do it.

And, regardless of what people say, time-shifting wasn't nearly as common with VCRs as it is with Tivo.

Some people went crazy with it, but with DVR technology I'll watch "live TV" all day without seeing commercials because we are constantly pausing it, doing other things and then coming back. Not to mention that we don't watch a single show of the 20 or so I record a week live anymore. I'll go weeks without seeing any commercials. That's BAD news for advertisers.
Old 07-06-07, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by matta
That idea has limited potential for a few reasons. The most obvious is that the advertisement is limited to companies with that type of product. So instead of selling a 30 commercial during friends to the highest bidder among 200 companies with various products, they're now limited to selling a placement to the highest bidder among maybe 5 companies who sell drinks in cans. So, to make the same kind of money, the network will need many more placements than they had commercials. Also, innovate products couldn't be used. So 20 years from now when we have hovercars, they won't be able to market the new Toyota Hovercamry during Friends.
Good points. However, wouldn't you rather have your product seen and used by a actor/celebrity during the content when everyone is watching, as opposed to the commercial when many turn the channel or leave the room? Which would be more persuasive to a potential consumer? I don't know. There may be limited opportunity, but there is opportunity there.

As for the Toyota Hovercamry, if they can digitally insert a Coke machine in the background, surely they can do the same with this amazing vehicle. It might work to freshen up some shows. In the future, I'd love to see an old rerun of 'L&O' on the streets of Manhattan with hovercars zipping around.
Old 07-06-07, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Won't people who are really motivated to watch Friends in this day and age either rent it on DVD or buy it on DVD? I know I never watch it (or a similar sort of sitcom in syndication since I never actually watch Friends) unless I'm bored to death and want to watch something just because it's on. Surely people aren't filling their TiVos with Friends and skipping past the commercials.

I have to admit I'm watching L&O:SVU recorded a week ago on USA, and my wife just skipped past the commercials. Yes, I'll undermine my own argument.
Old 07-06-07, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

'Friends' and other sitcoms are still very popular in syndication with as many watching a single episode than ever bought the DVD. I would think most of America would behave in the opposite from what you described. They'd rather watch them on TV for free then go to the trouble of renting / buying and then playing the show. I don't really see that changing that much over time.

For most, TV is simply a way to pass the time.
Old 07-07-07, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CharlieK
'Friends' and other sitcoms are still very popular in syndication with as many watching a single episode than ever bought the DVD. I would think most of America would behave in the opposite from what you described. They'd rather watch them on TV for free then go to the trouble of renting / buying and then playing the show. I don't really see that changing that much over time.

Sad, But True.

I don't know why it irritates me so much when people say 'Why would I buy it on DVD when I can watch it for free on TV?' but it does. I collect alot of TV shows on DVD & I hardly ever watch repeats of shows on a channel like TBS unless the show isn't available on DVD yet.
I guess the common TV viewer doesn't care that they are watching hacked up, Syndicated versions of the show. Or they just don't notice.

People can do whatever they want to do, but It's when they start basically calling you stupid for buying all these TV shows on DVD when you can watch it for free on cable.

Being that I work nights & that I like to watch TV whenever I want & not have to wait ti'll a pacific time to see the show/movie, I think it's much easier & better in my opinion to buy the Shows that you like on DVD.
Old 07-07-07, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, but timeshifting is also trouble you have to go to. That's what I was getting at. If Friends is still popular on TV 20 years from now (and I imagine it will be), I imagine it will be people who are watching it because it's on at the moment and it seems to be a good way to pass the time.