Reload this Page >

NBC ends "Super Sizing"....DVR users rejoice

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-29-07, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just as McDonald's has done away with giant boxes of fries and tubs of soda, NBC is ending its practice of "super-sizing" its comedies.

The scheduling gimmick, which extended the network's half-hour comedies by five to 10 minutes with extra footage -- and an extra commercial break -- won't be deployed next season (although "The Office" is still planning several hour-long episodes). Vince Manze, the network's head of scheduling, says super-sizing simply isn't as effective as it once was.

"It was a good idea when we started it. It was very novel. But it's just not a good idea to have shows starting at 9:23 p.m.," Manze tells TV Week. "I don't think anyone here thinks, at this point, super-sizing often is good for the shows. We're going to do our best to not have to do it next year."

The off-the-half-hour scheduling of super-sized episodes was tough to show in TV listings, and if an episode started even a minute or two off its scheduled time it would also mess with DVRs programmed to record them. As Manze puts it, "We're not only fooling people, we're fooling TiVos."

Super-sizing was the brainchild of then-NBC Entertainment president Jeff Zucker, who first extended episodes of "Friends" during the 2000-01 season, in part to keep people from flipping over to "Survivor" on CBS. Other NBC comedies joined the fray later that year, and the network has used the practice occasionally ever since.

NBC is still, however, sticking to its plan to produce five hour-long installments of "The Office" next season. But since each will run a full 60 minutes, the network should be able to avoid odd start and end times for the shows.
http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-nb...news-headlines

Good.
Old 05-29-07, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They also need to stop airing stuff that runs a minute passed the hour.
Equally annoying.
Old 05-29-07, 03:20 PM

Unless you have a crappy DVR service, I'm not sure why the Supersizing matters as far as screwing up your recording.
Old 05-29-07, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yeah I was just going to mention that.. like scrubs ending at 10:01 or whatever causes my dvr to not record what was on at 10:00.
Old 05-29-07, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by Meteu185
Unless you have a crappy DVR service, I'm not sure why the Supersizing matters as far as screwing up your recording.
Yeah, I rarely had any problems with it. The few times I did, I was lucky because I record all the NBC comedies anyway.

But I also agree that it would be nice if Scrubs didn't consistently get scheduled to end at one past the hour. Now that's annoying!
Old 05-29-07, 03:26 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For me, the problem was when The Office was normally over at 8, then it ran 20 minutes over, or whatever, and I had 2 shows I normally recorded at 8.
Old 05-29-07, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It screws it up when you're trying to record two programs at 10pm that aren't on NBC.
Old 05-29-07, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"super-sizing simply isn't as effective as it once was"
Translation: Super-sizing only works with hits and we don't have any left.
Old 05-29-07, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
Equally annoying.
ABC has the franchise on that. Thankfully, my new cable service allows me to deprive them of that ability.

My DVR never had a problem with these. I guess people with manual DVRs were really the only ones with issues.
Old 05-29-07, 03:40 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
"We're going to do our best to not have to do it next year."
He's the network head of scheduling and he talks like it's under someone else's control. Nice.
Old 05-29-07, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
Equally annoying.

That's more annoying because many times it is inaccurate.
Old 05-29-07, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wmansir
Translation: Super-sizing only works with hits and we don't have any left.
I think it's at least equally about the ability of most well executed DVRs to compensate for these issues. When you have one VCR you can't even program and interest in shows on multiple networks, it's an effective gimmick. When you have 2 or 3 tuners with computers controlling some of them, you start to not give a crap when your shows air. You let TiVo or whatever deal with the problem shows.
Old 05-29-07, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
Once I got enough DVRs/tuners, I never had a problem with this practice, as long as they changed the schedules to match. It is asking a lot out of the casual viewer, who turns it on at the half hour to see his favorite show, sees that something else is on, and promptly turns the channel.

I DO have a problem with the way freaking Fox handled the American Idol finale... it went over, unscheduled, for 10 minutes...
Old 05-29-07, 08:54 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
NO MORE TRANSFATS!!!!!

Wait.

What?
Old 05-29-07, 09:27 PM
Banned

Oh, so, five idiots can't figure out how to program a dvr and these guys change their whole network schedule around?
Old 05-29-07, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by cracksky
Oh, so, five idiots can't figure out how to program a dvr and these guys change their whole network schedule around?
if an nbc show ends at 9:05pm or 9:15pm and you have 2 shows scheduled to record on other stations which start at 9:00pm, programming a dvr any which way won't fix the problem for the typical two tuner dvr
Old 05-29-07, 10:42 PM

This is kinda too bad. All the episodes of The Office that got supersized benefited from the extra run time immensely. In fact, most other shows seemed to benefit as well. I don't remember the supersized Earl's or Scrubs being any worse episodes. The Pizza Clock episode of Scrubs is horrible cut down to 22 minutes in syndication
Old 05-29-07, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I liked longer episodes. Don't really care about DVR's missing it since I don't have one
Old 05-30-07, 01:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by her34
if an nbc show ends at 9:05pm or 9:15pm and you have 2 shows scheduled to record on other stations which start at 9:00pm, programming a dvr any which way won't fix the problem for the typical two tuner dvr
Oh, boo-fucking-hoo. So, you throw a vcr on to record the other show. Look, I've had some real challenges in my day with trying to record/watch four, five things at once with just vcr's, cable and antenna. Never missed a show. Not one second. The fact that you whiny people are actually causing programing changes at NBC is disgusting. YOU make the change not THEM.
Old 05-30-07, 05:56 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Oh, boo-fucking-hoo. So, you throw a vcr on to record the other show. Look, I've had some real challenges in my day with trying to record/watch four, five things at once with just vcr's, cable and antenna. Never missed a show. Not one second. The fact that you whiny people are actually causing programing changes at NBC is disgusting. YOU make the change not THEM.
NBC is going to make things easier for its customers/viewers, many of whom don't like the odd start/end times for shows. Why do you have a problem with that?
Old 05-30-07, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We DVR idiots have no problem with programming our DVRs or "padding". It's those last second NBC reschedules that mess many machines up.

A Thursday not too long ago had all three of the comedies super-sized and inaccurately scheduled by NBC. NBC apparently sent the time corrections to Tribune the day they aired. Many DVRs only update once per day and missed it.
Old 05-30-07, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I haven't owned a VCR in years, and I don't plan on buying one because some idiots over at NBC have to play time-shifting games because their ratings aren't what they used to be. If they want to make it easier for me to record, good. If not, then I can watch something else. To act like we're in the wrong because we expect shows to follow normal schedules is pretty ridiculous. We are the customers, why on earth should we be expected to bow to their demands especially on a practice that should never have happened in the first place.
Old 05-30-07, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Kevin Reilly, is that you?
Old 05-30-07, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
I DO have a problem with the way freaking Fox handled the American Idol finale... it went over, unscheduled, for 10 minutes...
That's what happens when you're on air live... although admittedly FOX managed to get all of their commercials in there too...
Old 05-30-07, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Fair enough, I just won't watch NBC at all, and your programs will be cancelled for lack of viewers.

Oh, wait, we're already down to 3x L&O and ER

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.