NBC ends "Super Sizing"....DVR users rejoice

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

NBC ends "Super Sizing"....DVR users rejoice

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-07, 08:35 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Has never been a problem, my DVR usually picked it up fine.

What was a problem was that Fox went over on the AI finale the other night and it got cut off for a lot of people. If anybody gave a shit about the results, there could have been some pissed off people. Guess they dodged a bullet...this time.
Old 05-30-07, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wahoo!

I made a thread bashing NBC for doing this crap a few weeks ago, and caught some hell here for it. Glad to know SOMEONE is listening.

-jason
Old 05-30-07, 08:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess no one on this board can grasp the concept of throwing a cassette into a vcr and recording for 6 hours so as not to miss a program instead of relying on bullshit technology combined with live television.
Old 05-30-07, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

what's a vcr?
Old 05-30-07, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cracksky
I guess no one on this board can grasp the concept of throwing a cassette into a vcr and recording for 6 hours so as not to miss a program instead of relying on bullshit technology combined with live television.

Did a DVR rape your dog or what?

VCR is ancient technology that doesn't compare with the benefits that a DVR brings you.

Don't feel bad that you've been left in the past. Just keep enjoying television the way you're used to- with a pair of rabbit ears on a 13 inch B&W no doubt.
Old 05-30-07, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 620 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by johnglass
Did a DVR rape your dog or what?
No shit.
Old 05-30-07, 09:05 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
You do realize that you can record with a DVR for six straight hours, just like a VCR tape?
Old 05-30-07, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I don't even know anyone that has a VCR anymore. The last slack-ass that did traded up a couple of weeks ago.
Old 05-30-07, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

why would anyone do that? wtf is a cassette?
Old 05-30-07, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts
So you set your VCR to record 8-8:30 and if the show runs over one minute it will automatically pick it up? What if they bump Scrubs to Tuesday, does your fancy VCR automatically know to record on Tuesday instead of Thursday? Record two shows at once?

Sorry, there are far more conveniences than inconveniences in DVR world.
Old 05-30-07, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
So you set your VCR to record 8-8:30 and if the show runs over one minute it will automatically pick it up? What if they bump Scrubs to Tuesday, does your fancy VCR automatically know to record on Tuesday instead of Thursday? Record two shows at once?

Sorry, there are far more conveniences than inconveniences in DVR world.
I think what he is suggesting is that we all go out and buy as many tv's and VCR's as we need to ensure this doesn't happen. Do they even sell VCR's anymore?
So, if you're looking to record NBC,ABC and CBS in one night and you're afraid that it might get cut off, you just need to have 3 separate units and just tape the full 6 hours so you get everything.
Old 05-30-07, 10:12 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 588 Likes on 336 Posts
Sorry, I was too busy listening to my 8-track tape player.
Old 05-30-07, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Finally, some normalcy returns to at least one of the networks, though I don't watch too much NBC anyway.

Going off meds against your physicians advice is bad, m'kay?
Old 05-30-07, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
So you set your VCR to record 8-8:30 and if the show runs over one minute it will automatically pick it up?
Who EVER used a VCR that way? Unless your clock is exactly right, you'd always miss something on one end or the other. Back when I used a VCR, I knew to pad up to 5 minutes on either side for any show.

I dunno what other DVR technologies did with these Supersized episodes, but my DirecTivo never had an issue with catching them in their entirety.

Now FOX Sundays on the other hand - THAT'S a mess.
Old 05-30-07, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is good news. There is a reason TBS switched away from its schedule of starting shows five minutes after the hour (or half hour). There just isn't a reason for it.
Old 05-30-07, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yikes!! I did the vcr shuffle years back too. once I got my 1st DirecTivo that quickly changed. I quickly added a 2nd unit and guess what? no more tape juggling with 4 or more vcrs. no more wondering if I put in a tape that I already used to record something earlier in the week(sometimes I don't get to shows for weeks), no more clutter of having stacks and stacks of tapes, etc.

I currently have enough DVRs in my house that I can record 14 different things in my house at the same time so I guess I'm fully on board the bullshit technology train and I'm loving it. CHOO CHOO!!!!!
Old 05-30-07, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is good.
Maybe the new President of the network made this decision??
Old 05-30-07, 11:47 AM
Banned

Let's see if I can cover all of this.

1. Yes, I still own vcr's but they are barely alive.
2. I have been recording on vhs since 1982 so I have 1000's of shows on tape. I can't stop.
3. No, I don't yet own a dvr but hope to soon! Not against it.
4. I don't watch tv on a b&w set.
5. I own a nice 32 inch hd set.
6. I still have a laserdisc collection and player but prefer dvd's.
7. I always figure out how to record what I want via cable/antenna combo.
8. I've never missed programming because of a vcr. I always pad.
9. I once went on vacation to Hawaii for 2 weeks and had 2 tapes worth of recording but one vcr. I asked my brother to switch tapes at a specific day and turn it back off (which turned the timer back on). He did. I missed nothing. That was back in 1985.
10. I still have a box of 8-Track tapes and a player.
11. No, I didn't know that dvr's record for 6 hours straight.
12. Yes, they still sell vcr's.
13. I've never owned a dog.
14. I haven't had rabbit ears or a b&w tv in over 20 years.

Old 05-30-07, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thats sucks...I like 40 minutes of "The office"...It s an extra 10 minutes of goodness!
Old 05-30-07, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
Who EVER used a VCR that way? Unless your clock is exactly right, you'd always miss something on one end or the other.
Maybe, but if you are recording something on a different channel directly after you had no choice.
Old 05-30-07, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts
5. I own a nice 32 inch hd set.

Well you keep on recording your TV shows on VHS in crappy quality while the rest of us can use our HD-DVR's and actually use our HDTV's to watch HDTV material. Oh, and you can waste your day scanning through 6 hours of recording and 1000's of tapes while we click the show's name.
Old 05-30-07, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by thecrazydude
thats sucks...I like 40 minutes of "The office"...It s an extra 10 minutes of goodness!
As the article states, there will be 5 "hour long" Office episodes next season. Essentially, Super-duper sizing with an extra 30 minutes of goodness.
Old 05-30-07, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Well you keep on recording your TV shows on VHS in crappy quality while the rest of us can use our HD-DVR's and actually use our HDTV's to watch HDTV material. Oh, and you can waste your day scanning through 6 hours of recording and 1000's of tapes while we click the show's name.
Using a VCR with an HDTV is the audio/visual equivalent of this:

Old 05-30-07, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Nice.
Old 05-30-07, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Oh, you mean the CBS Sunday plan. Fortunately, my HDVR will emulate that mode for when you have no damn idea when the game will end and prime time will start

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.