Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

On the Lot - Series Premiere - 5/22/07

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-07, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
They are now doing the same thing as Nashville Star in terms of eliminations with one weekly show, with no elimination show the next day, but rather stringing the person along for week after the votes have been tallied, and then booting them at the end of the next show as contestants perform throughout that next show until the final two are revealed and only one gets to do their thing to show their wares.
Old 06-01-07, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Screw the live audience and voting, get busy with showing movies being made. Then have the three judges boot off a couple of people.
Old 06-01-07, 09:25 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by clemente
Why not just cancel it.....how the hell is this even going to work?
Not that I have a problem with the results show being condensed to the time after the last commercial break.
I've noticed there are some sponsor tie-ins and contests for this, so maybe those contracts are the reason they don't cancel it outright.

What they may do as far as combining results with the real show is the same thing 'So You Think You Can Dance' did in season one... which is do the elimination for the week before at the top of the show, then continue on with the remaining contestants. I think a few other shows that didn't have results shows have done this as well. The only negative is that someone works their ass off on their movie all week for nothing.
Old 06-01-07, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DRG
What they may do as far as combining results with the real show is the same thing 'So You Think You Can Dance' did in season one... which is do the elimination for the week before at the top of the show, then continue on with the remaining contestants.
I'm pretty sure that's how they'll be doing it.

The only negative is that someone works their ass off on their movie all week for nothing.
As I posted last night, the voting for the next three weeks will be based on the short films that they originally made to make it onto the show, so they won't be making movies for the next few weeks, at least.
Old 06-01-07, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Scott27
They're not doing new films (at least not for a few weeks). The next three weeks, the voting will be based on the films that the contestants originally submitted to make it onto the show. According to FOX, they'll be showing them in groups of five (one group each week).
What the fuck!!
A show about filmmaking....but they won't be making movies!

They made those movies already, lets move on! The original judges already let them through this far based on those movies....lets move on.

Does anyone else get the "we're making this shit up as we go along" vibe?
Old 06-02-07, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
They should change hosts again and turn this into a reality show about finding the next reality show host.
Old 06-04-07, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Has this been pulled? This morning's paper shows "House" in its timeslot tonight.
Old 06-04-07, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 247 Posts
Originally Posted by rkndkn
Has this been pulled? This morning's paper shows "House" in its timeslot tonight.
No show tonight...tomorrow at 8pm. See earlier in this thread for details.
Old 06-04-07, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks Shannon, I somehow missed that post. Just as well, though -- last week's results show was boringly stretched out.
Old 06-05-07, 10:00 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I've seen a few posts referencing that the movies shown last week were ones they had already made a while back... where is this info from? I was under the impression that each week they were getting a new assignment (like 'one minute comedy') and had a few days or so to put it together.
Old 06-05-07, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DRG
I've seen a few posts referencing that the movies shown last week were ones they had already made a while back... where is this info from? I was under the impression that each week they were getting a new assignment (like 'one minute comedy') and had a few days or so to put it together.
Not last week's movies, this week's (and the next two weeks). Here's what's happening the next three weeks:
From press materials I got from FOX as recently as last night, the 15 finalists are being split up into three groups of five. Tonight, the first five will show the short films that originally got them selected for the show. Then the viewers vote. On next week's show, the lowest score will be eliminated, then the second group of five will show their short films that got them selected for the show. Repeat that process again with the third group of five the following week.

So the next three weeks, the voting will be based on the films that the contestants made to be selected for the show originally. After those three weeks, I don't know what the voting will be based on.

And FYI tonight's guest judges are (I'll spoilerize it, just in case):
Spoiler:
Shia LaBeouf and Michael Bay
Old 06-05-07, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, Michael Bay is actually giving good advice instead of holding their hand, would have thunk it.
Old 06-05-07, 08:05 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts
Hm.. where was Shia LaBeouf?
Old 06-05-07, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So these aren't the films they made to enter the competition....which is good.

For all the crap that Michael Bay takes....he was the one actually giving the good advice. And....
Spoiler:
bye bye Hillary.
I know Gary Marshall thinks we need more female filmmakers...but we need more good female filmmakers.
Old 06-05-07, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dough was my favourite... I actually thought Shalimi's movie was the worst one...yeah it had style and someone doing a bio/doc was a bold choice, but I just didn't care for it. It was well put together but I was bored and it felt like 10 minutes instead of 3. Hilary's movie was pretty brutal as well, despite a very funny script (well, up until the 'goodbye' scene which was really poorly written as well as shot and acted).

The format of this show is a head scratcher...so over 3 weeks we narrow it down to 12 filmmakers...and then what, more round robin type competing? I really want to see what these people can do when they ARE given the resources this show has been touting...the last two weeks are films they made before the show started airing (on their own resources and dime)... although, I shouldn't be surprised that they haven't gotten to the 'professional actors, crew and resources' bit yet, since this show hasn't lived up to it's premise since day 1.... and the fact that TWO of the contestants were FRIENDS, worked together before and are friends with other industry people makes me think this show was mostly rigged from the word 'go'.

Michael Bay rocked by the way... only judge worth a damn so far.
Old 06-05-07, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Dough was my favourite... I actually thought Shalimi's movie was the worst one...yeah it had style and someone doing a bio/doc was a bold choice, but I just didn't care for it. It was well put together but I was bored and it felt like 10 minutes instead of 3. Hilary's movie was pretty brutal as well, despite a very funny script (well, up until the 'goodbye' scene which was really poorly written as well as shot and acted).
I think this week should prove which way the audience that votes is leaning.
Shalini is clearly the better filmmaker, but her choice of subject matter isn't going to win her votes. Will a weaker director (Hilary) be able to beat her out because at least her films are more accessible?

I thought each othe directors stayed very close to what worked (or didn't) for them the first time around.

I was thrown by the revelation that they are pretty much set loose and have to make the films on their own dime. Sure, it might prove their abilities to work around challenges, but I'd hate to see someone with skill eliminated because they don't have the resources of network to put something together in 5 days.

And again....Michael Bay made every other "judge" look foolish. I get that we need more female filmmaker Gary...mayhaps you could tell them what they did wrong so they get better.
Old 06-05-07, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Anyone else laugh when Bay criticized the first film, saying it could be edited down?
Old 06-05-07, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I was a little tired when I watched my recording of tonight's episode, but I actually fell asleep during Shalini's short film (and it was only 3 minutes), but I did rewind it to finish it, and still felt ambivalent about it. Dough was the more entertaining, but Gary was right in that it could have been slightly better directed, but still very involving as it got into a groove. Teri was the one I didn't like as much as the rest of them, and Hilary's film wasn't well directed either.
Old 06-06-07, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 247 Posts
Originally Posted by PacMan2006
Anyone else laugh when Bay criticized the first film, saying it could be edited down?
I was ROTF. The contestant should have shot back "You mean like Armageddon?"

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 06-06-07 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-06-07, 06:57 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by clemente
I think this week should prove which way the audience that votes is leaning.
Shalini is clearly the better filmmaker, but her choice of subject matter isn't going to win her votes. Will a weaker director (Hilary) be able to beat her out because at least her films are more accessible?
You really think people are voting based on the films?

Voting is split between the Vote for the Worst crowd and "who's hot".
Old 06-06-07, 07:22 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts
The hostess is hot as hell, but damn she fumbles over her words alot.
Old 06-06-07, 08:46 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I couldn't figure out if Shalini's film was a documentary or fictional. Either way, the character was interesting but three minutes was not enough time.

I don't know why the film was labeled "controversial" though. "It was hard growing up gay in India". Yeah, no shit.

Who cares if Adrianna is a shitty host, as long as she keeps wearing hot outfits I could watch her all day long. Boot Julie Chen and put her on Big Brother!
Old 06-06-07, 09:16 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Groucho
Who cares if Adrianna is a shitty host, as long as she keeps wearing hot outfits I could watch her all day long.
Annoying > Hot

See: Jenny McCarthy
Old 06-06-07, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I miss you more than Michael Bay missed the mark,
When he made Pearl Harbor.
I miss you more then that movie missed the point,
And that’s an awful lot girl.
And now, now you've gone away,
And all I'm trying to say,
Is Pearl Harbor sucked...and I miss you

I need you like Ben Affleck needs acting school,
He was terrible in that film.
I need you like Cuba Gooding needed a bigger part,
He's way better then Ben Affleck.
And now all I can think about is your smile,
And that shitty movie too,
Pearl Harbor sucked and I miss you

Why does Michael Bay get to keep on making movies?
I guess Pearl Harbor sucked,
Just a little bit more then I miss you.
Old 06-06-07, 10:16 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
Yeah, I kept thinking "you mean because it lingered on a shot for more than two seconds?" That said, I appreciate he didn't shy away from being tough. Carrie is just another Paula Abdul... "Well, it was well made". And Garry's repeated comments about women directors are almost condescending. I think his heart is in the right place, but to keep singling it out makes it tokenism of sorts.

I forget most of the names, but...

Ring in the toilet - I liked the take on the old red wire/blue wire cliche. I think it would have worked better without the fish subplot, it didn't add anything.

Blind date - Not bad, but it was weird that it was the same actress playing all those roles. If he's picturing all these different possibilities, why do they all look like the same woman? Plus I actually thought she was a guy in drag at first, not very cute. lol

Finklesteins - Had some funny lines, but as a whole it was just a poorly directed take on the Meet the Parents/My Big Fat Greek Wedding type films.

Dough - It was cute. I was cringing at first, but it won me over.

Gay Indian comic - It was the most interesting to look at, but there wasn't really a story told.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.