Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

On the Lot - Series Premiere - 5/22/07

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-07, 10:44 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know this show would have been gone already if Spielberg's name was not attached to it.
Old 05-29-07, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Man, was that the most dragged out hour ever. Basically a recap of yesterday, except this time it was all monologued by one person. Boring & nothing new. Waste of a whole hour. Recapping what the judges said for all 16 contestants was the dumbest idea of dumb ideas.

Seems like they're putting this show on the fast track by cutting out episodes and eliminating 3 contestants at a time. Too bad the ratings suck cause I really wanted to see more, but it looks like we're gonna get a really short season. I'm expecting a move to Friday or Saturday pretty soon.

Here's my take on the short films:

Adam - Dance Man - one of the most original films & chuckle worthy. not bad.

VOTED OFF Carolina - Delivery - nothing special & her continuity & editing was bad.

Andrew - Spaced Out - very good production quality & funny, but it went nowhere. I liked it though.

Kenny - Wack Alley Cab - just awful. crazy characters with a lot of cuts and color effects. pointless.

Hilary - Bus #1 - I didn't like it. it didn't flow at all (no pun intended).

Marty - The Big Bad Heist - He's got a good sense of style with his shots. Not bad.

Will - Lucky Penny - It wasn't too bad. I never laughed though (and I hate people flying through the air to signify they're falling down)

Jessica - To Screw in a Lightbulb - awful & lazy filmmaking. static camera shots that amounted to nothing. NYU? really?

Mateen - Soft - didn't like it. again, people flying through the air is not funny and like someone said earlier, a ripoff of Friday.

VOTED OFF Claudia - Blind Date - what the hell? seemed like one of those wacky German television commercials. she has style though.

Jason - Getta Rhoom - this wasn't bad at all, though I do agree the guy seemed like he had Downs. pretty funny overall and well done.

David - File Size - really good style and angles, wasn't as funny as it should have been though.

Zach - Danger Zone -very well done. how does he do it? very creative and different. i'd like him to have more style though instead of relying on his effects. he's more than likely gonna win it all.

Trever - A Golf Story - i liked it. seems like it's been done before though.

Shalini - Love in the Year 2007 - forgettable and has been done before.

VOTED OFF Phil - Please Hold - good style and chuckle worthy, though it been done better before.

Shira-Lee - Check Out - interesting. not much to it but well done

Sam - Replication Theory - i really enjoyed this. funniest of the bunch and very well done.

Last edited by Shilex; 05-29-07 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-30-07, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like the new host Agostina Costa. She looked really sexy in that dress last night even though she does tend to talk really fast and does lots of hand gestures

What's with all the guys afraid to hug her or get closer??. I'd be smooching her every chance I got

PS Doesn't Kenny look like Adam Ant circa 1983?? I'm thinking "Good Goody Two Shoes" every time I see him

As for Jessica the NYU grad she's gotta do better considering she has the "education". Besides didn't Spike Lee go to NYU too??

If this show survives the ratings and makes it to the end I think Zac has a good chance to win it all and dark horse might be Shira-Lee.

Last edited by shanester; 05-30-07 at 06:23 AM.
Old 05-30-07, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Is it interesting that 2 "foreigners" got the boot in the first audience boot-off?
Old 05-30-07, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Last night's proved the "perfect DVR show" theory. I watched it in about 5-10 minutes.

Are all "results" shows this padded? This is the first reality show I've ever watched (if you can call 5 minutes out of an hour "watching") with a results show.
Old 05-30-07, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ill tell you all what I think....after the break.
Old 05-30-07, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
Last night's proved the "perfect DVR show" theory. I watched it in about 5-10 minutes.

Are all "results" shows this padded? This is the first reality show I've ever watched (if you can call 5 minutes out of an hour "watching") with a results show.
Yes, this one was particularly brutal since there was a disconnect between the contestant and what was being judged. So Slow.
Old 05-30-07, 11:15 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A bit late, as I just watched the movie show and results last night...

Dance Man - I'm not sure why everyone loved this. It was a bit too cutesy for me. Plus it seemed more like "guy who spazzes out instead of talking" instead of "guy who dances..."

Deliver Me - I'm surprised this got favorable remarks, maybe because it was early in the show and the judges weren't in mean mode yet. A clever idea but the execution was horrible. I'm not sure why the hospital scenes were shot like a sci fi/horror movie.

Spaced Out - I enjoyed this one, but I wish he had put a real ending in there. It shouldn't have rested on (and repeated) the puking punchline.

Wack Alley Cab - A piece of crap. Not remotely funny or clever. I can only imagine this made it through because this guy has a lot of friends or because there's some sort of "vote for the worst" thing happening.

Bus #1 - Started off dull, got cute about half way through. But that last shot with the jogger was a head scratcher and killed it slightly.

The Big Bad Heist - I'm torn because he clearly has visual talent, much more than some of the others. But this WAS a cheat, lazy even.

Lucky Penny - A clever marriage of concept and execution. I actually think it would have been funnier if the guy had tossed the lucky penny after the bus, the old lady grabbed it, and SHE got smashed with the piano.

…To Screw In A Light Bulb - Probably the second worst of the night. She had so much going on with not one interesting thing happening. It was incoherent AND boring, a terrible combo. She probably only survived because she's cute.

Soft - I agree with the judges that the portrayals didn't quite work. And he went for a sunny tone that revealed too much about the story's intentions. I think it would have worked better with a darker look and more thuggish friends. It was Barbershop when it should have been Menace II Society, the comic twist would have been more amusing that way.

Blind Date - Her dark style didn't match the material, but she was far from the worst.

Getta Rhoom - It's tough because I saw the mental disability thing too (especially in the heaven scene). Otherwise I think it worked very well.

File Size - Good for a commercial or something. Not sure how it would translate to a feature.

Danger Zone - Ambitious. I do have an issue with it, though. He has done a great job with effects and a tricky unbroken 360 shot. But he still hasn't proven he is a good director once you remove all the gimmicks.

A Golf Story - Ugh. I thought this was bad. There was just too much missing here. The sports film parody didn't fly because it didn't push anything hard enough.

Love In The Year 2007 - Felt like something I've seen a hundred times, like a bad indie chick flick.

Please Hold - Too bad he got the boot, as he has a great visual style. He relied too much on one played-out joke, and the ending deflated it even further.

Check Out - Cute, but again more like a commercial.

Replication Theory - Clever way to throw in a variety of elements and to make fart jokes palatable.
Old 05-30-07, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by starman9000
Ill tell you all what I think....after the break.
Gotta love DVRs! I don't have to wait for crap.
Old 05-30-07, 12:32 PM
Suspended

A rerun of "NCIS" gave CBS the lead at 8 p.m. NBC's "Law & Order" encore finished second at 4.6/8. A pair of "George Lopez" episodes took third for ABC. FOX's "On the Lot" drew a 2.6/5, an improvement over its weak Monday numbers, while The CW got a 1.0/2 from a "Gilmore Girls" repeat.

The "House" finale ruled the 9 p.m. hour with a 10.0/16, far and away the night's best rating.
Old 05-30-07, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,764 Likes on 2,696 Posts
That results show was painful to watch. It was a total rip-off of the Idol results with Adriana reading the cue cards of the judges opinions etc. Tivo saved the day for me.

IMO, the only thing good about this show is watching the short films. Other than that, the show is an absolute mess. It was poorly planned and conceived.
Old 05-30-07, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 248 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
IMO, the only thing good about this show is watching the short films. Other than that, the show is an absolute mess. It was poorly planned and conceived.
Agreed.

I was actually hoping for another ratings drop last night, since the more the ratings go down, the more cleavage Adrianna shows in the subequent episode. I figured if ratings dipped again last night, she'd come out topless next week.
Old 05-30-07, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just finished the two episodes off the DVR. I hate the new live studio format.
I was totally confused about where their projects from the previous week went. I get the same vibe I had when I watched American Inventor. It's just not good televison when it should be fascinating if done right.
Old 05-30-07, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The judges need to get some spines. I didn't see it on Tuesday (I forgot all about it) but on Wednesday they were talking about one movie they all hated, with an apparently retarded kid in the theater. And then it not only got enough votes to keep the director around, but it got enough votes to make it to the top 3! Then the judges all say how much they LOVED this movie. Give me a freaking break. Love it or hate it, don't change your opinion because of how America voted.

People may hate Simon Cowell but you gotta hand it to him for not giving a crap what the American public thinks and he holds fast to his opinions.
Old 05-30-07, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
Danger Zone - Ambitious. I do have an issue with it, though. He has done a great job with effects and a tricky unbroken 360 shot. But he still hasn't proven he is a good director once you remove all the gimmicks.
Yup...while clearly towards the head of the pack right now...what happens when they have to do a scene that is not comedy oriented or doesn't lend itself to effects, how will he fare? This is why I think it would have been interesting to see his 1 page/1 hour scene.

I don't have a problem with the cuts...it wouldn't have been the exact 3 I would have picked, but they were all in the pool.
Old 05-31-07, 05:54 PM

Is there trouble on the lot?

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=7400

[05.31.07 - 03:43 PM]
FOX TRIMS 'ON THE LOT' TO ONE WEEKLY AIRING
By Brian Ford Sullivan (TFC)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOS ANGELES (thefutoncritic.com) -- After another week of sagging ratings, FOX has dropped its Monday edition of "On the Lot."

The series will now condense its competition and results shows into one weekly one-hour program, airing Tuesdays at 8:00/7:00c starting June 5.

Said schedule will continue until its two-night finale airs on Monday, August 13 and Tuesday, August 14 (both at 8:00/7:00c). (The series will also have a special Monday, 8:00/7:00c airing on July 9 due to the network's coverage of the MLB All-Star Game on July 10.)

In its place on Mondays at 8:00/7:00c, FOX will run repeats of "House" and "Hell's Kitchen" on June 4 and June 11, respectively, while a mix of "The Simpsons," "American Dad" and "Family Guy" encores will fill the hour for the rest of the summer.

As a result of the change, FOX will shift "The Loop's" previously announced Tuesday airings (June 5 and June 12) to Sundays at 7:30/6:30c on June 24 and July 1. The news means that "The Loop" will air at 7:30/6:30c, 8:30/7:30c and 9:30/8:30c on said nights. (Regular 7:30/6:30c occupant "King of the Hill" then will move to 7:00/6:00c on those two nights.)

To help wade through the confusion, here's a breakdown of the affected nights:

MONDAYS:

Monday, June 4:
8:00/7:00c - "House" (R, Encore of Season Finale)
9:00/8:00c - "Hell's Kitchen" (Season Premiere)

Monday, June 11:
8:00/7:00c - "Hell's Kitchen" (R, Encore of Season Premiere)
9:00/8:00c - "Hell's Kitchen"

Monday, June 18, June 25 and July 2:
8:00/7:00c - "The Simpsons" (R)
8:30/7:00c - "American Dad" (R)

Monday, July 9:
8:00/7:00c - "On the Lot" (Due to preemption on July 10)

Monday, July 16, July 23 and July 30:
8:00/7:00c - "Family Guy" (R)

Monday, August 6:

Monday, August 13: (as previously announced)
8:00/7:00c - "On the Lot" (Season Finale, Part 1)
9:00/8:00c - "Hell's Kitchen" (Season Finale)

TUESDAYS:

Tuesdays, beginning June 5: (except for July 10 due the MLB All-Star Game)
8:00/7:00c - "On the Lot" (Performance and results shows combined)
9:00/8:00c - "House" (R)

Tuesday, August 14: (as previously announced)
8:00/7:00c - "On the Lot" (Season Finale, Part 2)
9:00/8:00c - "So You Think You Can Dance" (Special Night)

SUNDAYS:

Sunday, June 24 and July 1:
7:00/6:00c - "King of the Hill (R)
7:30/6:00c - "The Loop"
8:30/7:00c - "The Loop"
9:00/8:00c - "Family Guy" (R)
9:30/8:00c - "The Loop"

Chris
Old 05-31-07, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think one hour a week is fine....they seriously don't need to drag this thing out American Idol style. What were they going to fill the time with once the herd got thinned down? Bring in guest directors to show their own movies and give tips to the wannabe directors?

Wait...that might be interesting to watch if they got some good directors involved.
Old 05-31-07, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,764 Likes on 2,696 Posts
So how is it going to work that the film and results show is combined? Will viewers have to watch the films on the internet prior to the week starting?
Old 05-31-07, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
So how is it going to work that the film and results show is combined? Will viewers have to watch the films on the internet prior to the week starting?
Why not just cancel it.....how the hell is this even going to work?
Not that I have a problem with the results show being condensed to the time after the last commercial break.

I guess the question is.....has a real time live competition show like this (Idol, So You think You Can Dance, America's Got Talent) been canceled before?
Old 05-31-07, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think they need better judges. They say pretty much the same thing every time.

DJ Curoso - I think you need to challenge yourself and really push it.

Carrie Fisher - I not sure what that was, but good job.

Gary Marshall - I love women directors. I'm so glad women learned to read and write so they could be here today.

How the hell are they going to have a results show along with the airing of the episode? Man, I'm disappointed. I was really looking forward to this show when I initally heard about it too.
Old 05-31-07, 09:10 PM

I don't see what's so confusing about them combining the results show with the premiere show. They can just show the results at the beginning of the show, then show the movies for the rest of it.
Old 05-31-07, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by clemente
I guess the question is.....has a real time live competition show like this (Idol, So You think You Can Dance, America's Got Talent) been canceled before?
Remember that horrible American Idol rip-off from last summer called "The One"? It was a music competition where they lived in a house together. I think it lasted 2 episodes. Probably one of the worst shows ever made.
Old 05-31-07, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Have the results from the previous week before doing new movies?

Then the directors who get voted off will have done those new films for nothing.
Old 05-31-07, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Have the results from the previous week before doing new movies?

Then the directors who get voted off will have done those new films for nothing.
They're not doing new films (at least not for a few weeks). The next three weeks, the voting will be based on the films that the contestants originally submitted to make it onto the show. According to FOX, they'll be showing them in groups of five (one group each week).
Old 06-01-07, 12:22 AM
Banned

wow what an awful turn for the worst

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.