Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Are you cancelling HBO when the Sopranos ends?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Are you cancelling HBO when the Sopranos ends?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-07, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No way, I just got into The Wire and will definitely be tuning in for Big Love Season 2. I also love most of their documentaries and other original programming. Generally speaking, most HBO programming is outstanding.
Old 05-22-07, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
HBO has been obsolete ever since movies became affordable to purchase or rent. They would have to quit showing pan-and-scan movies and breaking into the end credits, and bring back "Not Necessarily The News" for me to ever want it.
Old 05-22-07, 08:06 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
yes, because I want to switch over to other movie channels in HiDef (as well as Sundance, IFC, and BBC America)
Old 05-22-07, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, but as soon as Big Love season 2 is finished i probably will, at least till Big Love season 3.
Old 06-15-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My wife called to cancell the day after the Sopranos ended, they offered us 6 months for 4.99. People may be able to get a deal of of the post-Sopranos mass exodus.
Old 06-15-07, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mmconhea
My wife called to cancell the day after the Sopranos ended, they offered us 6 months for 4.99. People may be able to get a deal of of the post-Sopranos mass exodus.
Off the topic a bit:

Odd you say $4.99. Time Warner offered me HBO for $4.99 the other day. I realized that it was misleading. The package I have is the old Adelphia. The corresponding Time warner package was $5 cheaper. Instead of adjusting and reducing my bill they were trying to increase it by implying I would get HBO for $4.99. In truth my bill would go down $5 and HBO was $10. I of course opted for a $5 reduction in my bill and no HBO.
Old 06-15-07, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I work for Cox so all my cable is free. That being said the only times I watch HBO are for : The Sopranos, or if they're showing something that looks REALLY good in HD, since I only watch HBO HD. I like Entourage but I got into the game too late so I just watch it on DVD when the seasons come out.
Old 06-15-07, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Got too good a deal with several movie channels in HD to drop. Plus, I really like Entourage.
Old 06-15-07, 03:36 PM

We had HBO for years -- well, my mom did. She got rid of it years ago.

Funny story: I remember watching movies during 1988/89 on HBO. Cancelled till 1994 and got it again. The channel was showing the same movies that played five years earlier. Cancelled again.

Had it from '97 till '02 again, then, got rid of it for good. Haven't had it since.

If there is a show I'm dying for, I just wait for the DVD now.
Old 06-16-07, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Depends, Is the Larry Sanders show coming back?

JK,
I had HBO when the Larry Sanders show was on then cancelled it and never spoke of it again.
Being that I buy alot of TV ON DVD sets, If I want to see a show on HBO i will just by the first season of the show I have intrest in on HBO (which doesn't happen to much with there overrated shows) when it comes to DVD.

I just really hope that sony can clear all the legal issues so then can release more "Season" sets of the Larry Sanders show instead of release the 1st season 5 billion years ago then release a "Best of" set.
I will say though that even through I am not a fan of "Best of" sets at all, the Not just the best of the Larry Sanders show DVD is the best "Best of" set I have ever seen.
Sorry for goin' off topic.
Old 06-16-07, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am still finishing up my promotional period. I watch Big Love and a few movies, but with Netflix I could survive since Big Love S2 will be on DVD sooner or later. Probably a wait and see deal with me.
Old 06-17-07, 12:10 PM

As someone mentioned above, I too have a special package deal, but I still wouldn't cancel because of Entourage and most importantly The Wire next year.
Old 06-17-07, 02:34 PM

Yeah, agree with those above. The more interesting question is will you cancel HBO when The Wire ends. Hopefully one of the new shows will have caught my attention by then.
Old 06-17-07, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not enough love for Curb, here!