Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

'Lost' set for three more years [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-07, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by aktick
Did your parents not tell you they loved you when you were young? Just foolin'.
Old 05-07-07, 12:26 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 274 Likes on 208 Posts
One mystery solved: 'Lost' to end in 2010

By Gary Levin, USA TODAY
The end is in sight for ABC's acclaimed island mystery Lost, but fans will have to wait until 2010 for all the answers.

In a highly unusual move, the network announces plans today to end the show after three more shortened seasons of 16 episodes each. The episodes will air consecutively, repeat-free, from February to May.

ABC's bold step marks a response to the show's producers, who have been eager to set a finish line to better plot out their convoluted mystery of plane-crash survivors and to placate fans who are frustrated that the show seemed to be vamping its way to a conclusion.

"Among fans there was an unease that they were making an investment in a show that's complicated without any sense of where that's going to lead them," co-creator Damon Lindelof said in an exclusive interview. "From the very beginning, fans and even critics have been saying, 'Are you making it up as you go along?' " which was "a legitimate question."

Now, with a still far-away ending in sight, Lindelof says he and executive producer Carlton Cuse have "specific designs for ending the next two seasons" and promises that with the answer-filled season finale May 23, viewers "will begin to get an idea of what that design will be, and it will not be at all what they expect."

The finale completed filming in Hawaii on Saturday, a day after Lindelof and Cuse signed new contracts that will keep them working on Lost exclusively for the duration. With 48 more episodes due, the show will have completed 60% of its planned six-season run.

"It's practically unprecedented in network TV to announce the end of a show this far out," Cuse says.

ABC Entertainment president Steve McPherson says the unusual long-term commitment is "a unique situation" he would be unlikely to repeat for other series. "It's one of the best shows that's ever been on," he says. "It's got brilliant storytelling, incredible character work, and takes chances beyond anything that's on the air now."

With Desperate Housewives, Lost re-energized ABC in fall 2004 and became a top 10 series. But after two time-slot switches, interruptions for low-rated repeats and a mystery that tried the patience of some fans, Lost has lost some steam. Ratings are down about 14% this season, though Lost still ranks highly among young adults and is the most heavily recorded show on DVRs.

McPherson concedes that splitting the current third season in two "was not the best for the show" and says the network also is discussing a return to an earlier time slot to draw more family viewership.

Shorter seasons will allow plots to be more tightly constructed and "will make it a real event," Lindelof says. "We won't have to do episodes where people are standing on the beach looking at the water and wondering what's going to happen next."

Will Lost risk losing fans' interest with an eight-month lag? "People wait longer than eight months for the next books and films in the Harry Potter story and they don't seem to lose interest," Cuse says. "We have faith that our audience, knowing exactly how much of the story we have left, is going to be with us for the rest of the ride."

But, Lindelof says, "the last five minutes of (this month's) finale are going to seal our fate."
http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...-06-lost_N.htm
Old 05-07-07, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, let me just say this is fantastic news ... we're getting an end date, we're getting closure, and the producers aren't going to have to "tap dance" ... but, in true LOST fashion, I don't think we were expecting THAT! The outcome is the same, 48 more episodes, but I'm not too sure about the 3 shortened seasons ... would prefer two 24-episode seasons.
Old 05-07-07, 12:59 AM

This is great news. Though it seems like an odd way to do it (why not two 24 episode seasons?), I think it's great to give the producers such advance notice so that they can create a really good, intricate ending to this wonderful series.

Do we think that these seasons will run from Feb sweeps to May sweeps?
Old 05-07-07, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
This is great news. Though it seems like an odd way to do it (why not two 24 episode seasons?), I think it's great to give the producers such advance notice so that they can create a really good, intricate ending to this wonderful series.

Do we think that these seasons will run from Feb sweeps to May sweeps?
That would be my best guess. Feb. Premiere that runs straight through to the finale on the last week of May Sweeps. I hope we still get the 2-hour Season Finales. Hopefully with the return to the earlier timeslot and more focussed storytelling the ratings will pick up.
Old 05-07-07, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
great news.

really happy there will be no breaks during the seasons.
Old 05-07-07, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by hardercore
Well, let me just say this is fantastic news ... we're getting an end date, we're getting closure, and the producers aren't going to have to "tap dance" ... but, in true LOST fashion, I don't think we were expecting THAT! The outcome is the same, 48 more episodes, but I'm not too sure about the 3 shortened seasons ... would prefer two 24-episode seasons.
They probably wanted three additional years to break the arcs into three different parts, instead of just two - which is alot easier story wise. Plus no matter what it's impossible to film a 24-episode season filler free, while a 16-episode season will easily keep fillers to a minimum.
Old 05-07-07, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Even two 20-21 episode seasons would have sufficed ... They could cut out even more of the filler. I would just rather prefer it all wrapped up in two years, rather than three. I think two Jan-May seasons with 2-hour premieres and finales would have been the best option. But I'm willing to hold back judgment until the Season Three cliffhanger ... Damon did say those last 5 minutes of this years finale are going to "seal their fate" -- I presume this means ensuring that viewership for Season 4 premiere.
Old 05-07-07, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think it's good news that the show finally has an end date, but we have to wait until February for Season 4 to start? It seems to me that a 9 month wait between shows is a surefire way to lose another good chunk of your viewers. And for the record, I will still be watching come next February.
Old 05-07-07, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by PalmerJoss
I think it's good news that the show finally has an end date, but we have to wait until February for Season 4 to start? It seems to me that a 9 month wait between shows is a surefire way to lose another good chunk of your viewers. And for the record, I will still be watching come next February.
I disagree.. as someone who's watched 24 for years, when they went to the Jan-May straight run-through, it became watchable as there weren't 2-3 week gaps between episodes, this works in their favor; built-up demand for Lost through the Fall, and continuous story lines without the gaps.
Old 05-07-07, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PalmerJoss
I like the Harry Potter/Star Wars analogy. It's sometimes 2 years between books. 3 years between star wars films. If they keep the stories compelling enough, then the longer break won't matter. Viewers will want to tune back in. That's why Damon said the last 5 minutes of this finale will seal their fate. From the rumours I've heard, the cliffhanger will blow our minds.
Old 05-07-07, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Well folks, yes, the finale will be episode 108, as I've predicted.

The season finale will be episode 69

3 x 16 = 48

The series finale will be a two-hour event (episode 49)

Total episodes = 108

Remember to push the button.
Old 05-07-07, 07:26 AM

It's all about dvd sales
Old 05-07-07, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 390 Likes on 315 Posts
Im already getting that empty feeling. I absolutely love this show.
Old 05-07-07, 08:52 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Really? My calculator must be off by 10.
Old 05-07-07, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,376 Likes on 937 Posts

3 x 16 = 48

Total episodes = 108

You sure about that? TV.com has this season's finale as episodes 70 and 71. Add another 48 episodes to that, and you get 119 episodes. 71 + 48 != 108. Care to explain?
Old 05-07-07, 09:11 AM
Cool New Member

Maybe this will bring some of the fans back, now that they know that the show has a definitive end point and the writers and producers know when that end point is, so there will be answers given, there will be a logical end to the story, and they won't be caught hanging.

Three more years sounds just about right actually. Not too long where people will get bored, but long enough to answer all the questions they need to answer. And I don't mind waiting until the winter. 24 does it, and it's a much better option then what they did this year with the mini-season.
Old 05-07-07, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

3 x 16 = 48

Total episodes = 108

You need to buy a new calculator because:

69 + 48 = 117
Old 05-07-07, 09:27 AM

Deftones is correct. LOST will end after 119 episodes.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=14&cs=1

Skein will now wrap after the production of 48 additional episodes that will be divided into three, shortened 16-episode seasons. Final episode -- the show's 119th -- will air during the 2009-10 season.
Old 05-07-07, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Would have preferred just two more seasons, but I'll take it!

Looking forward to watching this whole thing again from season 1-6 uninterrupted...
Old 05-07-07, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'Lost' set for three more years

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=14&cs=1

Posted: Sun., May 6, 2007, 9:20pm PT

ABC hit expires in 2010

By JOSEF ADALIAN

ABC has set a 2010 end date for hit series 'Lost,' with the drama equally dividing its final 48 episodes into three seasons.

In a potentially paradigm-shifting play, ABC has agreed to let the producers of "Lost" set an expiration date for the series -- three years in the future.
Skein will now wrap after the production of 48 additional episodes that will be divided into three, shortened 16-episode seasons. Final episode -- the show's 119th -- will air during the 2009-10 season.

In conjunction with the advance order, "Lost" showrunners Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse have inked hefty new multi-year overall deals with ABC Television Studio to continue with the series until the end. Duo had made setting a wrap date for the show a condition for staying.

Lindelof and Cuse had wanted "Lost" to end after two more seasons. They're essentially still getting their wish: The 48 episodes they'll produce over the next three years is the same number the show produced during its first two seasons.

ABC execs, however, came up with a way to keep "Lost" on its sked for three more seasons. What's more, the 16-episode arcs will run without repeats (a la "24"), allowing the Alphabet to make the show more of an event.

"In considering the powerful storytelling of 'Lost,' we felt this was the only way to give it a proper creative conclusion," ABC Entertainment prexy Steve McPherson said.

"I always said that we would allow the series to grow and give viewers the most compelling hour possible," he added. "And, due to the unique nature of the series, we knew it would require an end date to keep the integrity and strength of the show consistent throughout, and to give the audience the payoff they deserve. "

McPherson also acknowledged that getting Lindelof and Cuse to reup "was critical to me and the network."

ABC Television Studio prexy Mark Pedowitz shared that sentiment.

"We wanted to make sure we had the team responsible for its success in place for not only the run of the show, but so that each of their future series creations have a home at the studio after 'Lost,' " Pedowitz said.

J.J. Abrams, who co-created "Lost" with Lindelof, defected to Warner Bros. TV last year and has been focusing on a new slate of TV and film projects, including the revival of the "Star Trek" franchise for Paramount Pictures. He told Daily Variety that he fully supported the advance wrap decision.

"It is the right choice for the series and its viewers," he said via an email message. "It takes real foresight and guts to make a call like this. I applaud ABC and Touchstone for making this happen."

Lindelof and Cuse, who are putting the finishing touches on the third-season finale, released a joint statement praising what they termed "a bold and unprecedented move for ABC" and thanking McPherson and Pedowitz for making it.

Cuse added that he hoped more shows will be able to follow the "Lost" lead and declare an end date.

"I think for story-based shows like 'Lost,' as opposed to franchise-based shows like 'ER' or 'CSI,' the audience wants to know when the story is going to be over," Cuse wrote. "When J.K. Rowling announced that there would be seven 'Harry Potter' books, it gave the readers a clear sense of exactly what their investment would be. We want our audience to do the same."

Cuse confirmed that devising an exit strategy for "Lost" was key to reupping with ABC Television Studio.

"In making this deal, Damon and I had two priorities: defining an end point for the show and keeping the quality bar high," Cuse said. "To do that we are both fully committed to the day-to-day running of the show right up until the very end. It's also why the 16 episodes per year was key for us. Because our show is so mythological, and because, unlike '24,' we can't reset each season, we need the extra time fewer episodes affords us to really plan out the specifics of our storytelling."

Lindelof and Cuse made public their desire for an end date during the TV Critics Assn. press tour last winter (Daily Variety, Jan. 15).

Cuse and Lindelof also wanted an end date in order to mollify critics of the show who worried producers were simply spinning their wheels as they worked through the show's layer upon layer of mystery.

ABC execs had already been talking to the producers about the idea, but they seemed taken aback when Lindelof and Cuse made the conversations public.

Indeed, it would be understandable if ABC execs had been initially cool to the concept of an early end date.

After all, with major hits a rarity in the network game, the rule is to keep hits on the air until every last ounce of success has been squeezed from them (e.g., "ER" or "The X-Files").

And despite relentless media snarking this season -- and the fact that "Lost" has lost a chunk of its fall 2005 audience -- the series is still a top-15 hit that dominates its 10 p.m. Wednesday timeslot in key demos.

In its third season, it's still drawing as many young viewers as NBC's newer, more buzzed-about "Heroes" -- and that's not counting the roughly 2.1 million viewers who watch the show after its live broadcast or via free streaming on ABC.com.

ABC could be establishing a new formula by which nets find success through serving up skeins with more and more audacious concepts but shorter lifespans than the traditional network hit.

Already, the traditional syndie business model -- the one that required studios to produce 100 episodes of a show in order to recoup their investment -- seems to be fading away in an age of instant downloads and universal streaming.

That may be one reason, according to Lindelof, that McPherson and Pedowitz "never argued that the show should keep going and going. The issue has always been when it would end and how far out in front of that ending should we herald it."

Now that the end has been announced, Lindelof promised there would be no attempts to extend or continue the "Lost" mythology on air in some other way.

"There will be no extensions or enhancements. That number (48) is absolute," he said. And "once you begin to see where we're going, I think the idea of sequels and spinoffs will completely go away."

So if he, Cuse or Abrams suddenly come up with a killer plot thread that doesn't fit into the new timeline?

"We'll do it as a radio play," Lindelof quipped.

As for "Lost," show's end game is expected to kick into high gear later this month with the broadcast of the season finale. Details of the plot are under wraps, but a person who has read the script described it as a major shakeup to the plot.

"It changes everything," the person said.

Nothing's official yet, but ABC has all but said that the fourth season of "Lost" won't premiere until January or February of next year.

I don't think this has been posted.

Chris

Last edited by mrpayroll; 05-07-07 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-07-07, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by mrpayroll

I don't think this has been posted.

Chris
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=499714
Old 05-07-07, 10:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
the series is still a top-15 hit that dominates its 10 p.m. Wednesday timeslot in key demos.
Round 2...FIGHT!

Old 05-07-07, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Big Worms
No, I know about that one. But that was a rumor based on 2 years. What the story above is talking about is definite and ground breaking. I don't want it to get 'lost' in that other thread.

Chris
Old 05-07-07, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
No, I know about that one. But that was a rumor based on 2 years. What the story above is talking about is definite and ground breaking. I don't want it to get 'lost' in that other thread.

Chris
Read post 52

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...9&postcount=52

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.