Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

anyone having trouble with their cox DVR?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-07, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

according to them its suppose to give me 50 hours of recording time but recently itll stop recording things saying it ran out of space. wtf? i checked my recorded shows and i have approximately 30 hours taped (that was being generous...probably closer to 25). yet its full?! bullshit and i missed out on a couple things i wanted to watch.

it also sucks there is no way to figure out how much space is left. there is no option for it (at least i dont think there is). i almost want to call them up and ask for some prorated refund everytime it does this because why am i paying the fee for a dvr that doesnt work/record when i want it to!?
Old 05-01-07, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are any of the shows HD? They take up more space, which could account for the difference.
Old 05-01-07, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

none.
Old 05-02-07, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know for sure, but considering that the shows are being recorded on a hard drive, maybe they need to be "de-fragged" every once in a while. I mean, considering that we are daily installing and deleating huge chunks of data. I wonder if there is a way for a tech to do this without deleating previously recorded shows.
My Cox setup has been acting flaky lately but the rep on the phone told me the only thing they could do is replace it. I don't want to do that because it is about 70% full of saved shows I swear I will get around to watching
Old 05-02-07, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Is it like TiVo, where the XX-hour TiVos are for basic-quality recordings? Can you adjust the quality of your recordings? If so, and you are using a setting other than the lowest, there is your answer.
Old 05-02-07, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
If you don't have HD, why bother with a cable DVR? Get a Replay-TV or TIVO. Far superior and they shouldn't cost you much more (if any) in the long run.
Old 05-02-07, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a Cox HD DVR..Although the cable company is not Cox anymore. But it never recorded near 50 hours. Maybe 20, never really counted.
Old 05-02-07, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not sure if its the same software but on the Cox HD DVR if you push the 'A' button while on the list you can see how much (estimated) recording time you have left and how much you've used.
Old 05-02-07, 12:21 PM

Do you know the model number?