Penn & Teller Bull****: Immigration - 04/26/07

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-07, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Showtime, 9:00pm CDT

Penn & Teller look at illegal immigration. On the Arizona/US border, The "Minutemen," a gaggle of mostly retiree volunteers who protect the American border, show us how they keep illegals from crossing into the country illegally. Illegal immigrants tell us what compels them to risk everything to come to this country... Plus, a crew of illegals builds a replica of a border fence... then demonstrates how they'd get over, under and through it.
The last few episodes have elicited little comment, understandably. The shows have been OK but not particularly compelling or controversial. This should change it.

Next week: Handicap Parking
Old 04-27-07, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by movielib
Showtime, 9:00pm CDT

The last few episodes have elicited little comment, understandably. The shows have been OK but not particularly compelling or controversial. This should change it.
... or not.

I thought it was pretty decent (maybe because I agree) but it was somewhat shallow. This is one of those topics that could use a lot more time.
Old 04-28-07, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
This show has had the biggest fall I can remember a series having. The topics are so sterile now that they have become a snooze fest every week. That is probably the reason they have to put tits on the show every week now.

It is obvious that Showtime has clamped down hard on them so that even when they address a slightly serious topic they end up never really scratching the surface of it. Penn mentioned it a bit during The Amazing Meeting in Vegas, but when pushed on it he backpedaled and supported Showtime.

Whatever the reason this series died after Season 2. What they have done since is become a parody of themselves. I will be happy to see this show finally canceled. There were at least a couple of memorable episodes in season 3 and 4. This season is a disaster.
Old 04-28-07, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Terrible episode. Oh sure, let's let everyone into this country but let's casually leave out all the negative things they bring along with them out. Like the crime, like the slack we have to pick up when they suck our healthcare system dry.
Old 04-28-07, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, Showtime clamping down on them has hurt the show, but what also hurts it is that they've gone downhill in how they address a topic. It was bad enough at the beginning when they would purposefully go out and find the most insane radical dumbasses to put up as examples of the opposing side, but at least they were using facts to support the side that P&T were on.

Now, though, P&T use lies and propaganda just as much as the "bad" people do.

I enjoyed the first 2 seasons, couldn't get myself to finish season 3 on DVD, and I have no plans to buy any further releases.

Last edited by MovieExchange; 04-28-07 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-28-07, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts
I can't believe they're going to do an entire show on handicapped parking.
Old 04-28-07, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason
I can't believe they're going to do an entire show on handicapped parking.
Old 04-28-07, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This had to have been one of the worst episodes they've done in a while. I don't have a strong opinion on this issue either way, but when they don't even bother to acknowledge that there's a difference between legal and illegal immigration, what's the point?

das
Old 05-04-07, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
Terrible episode. Oh sure, let's let everyone into this country but let's casually leave out all the negative things they bring along with them out. Like the crime, like the slack we have to pick up when they suck our healthcare system dry.

That's what I found lacking. They say it doesn't make it a difference and point to the unemployment rate, but how much government money are they taking in forms of services. That's what I want to know.

The wall stuff was pretty funny though.

I haven't watched the exorcism one yet because it just sounds so obvious and stupid to begin with.