Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Traveler Series Premiere May 10 on ABC

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-07, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Traveler Series Premiere May 10 on ABC

It's about damn time this show gets going!! I've heard alot of positive buzz about this show. I did hear that it's only 8 episodes, so you could technically call this a mini-series.

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-ab...news-headlines

ABC Shows 'Traveler' a Little Love
Drama gets post-'Grey's' debut; 'Men in Trees' done for season

The new ABC drama "Traveler," which had been ticketed for a playing-out-the-string summertime run, will get an in-season debut after all.

The network will air what it's calling a "sneak preview" of the pilot episode, which follows two friends who are framed for an act of terrorism, on Thursday, May 10, following "Grey's Anatomy." The show will have its regular premiere at 10 p.m. ET Wednesday, May 30, with a second showing of the pilot.

"Traveler" stars Logan Marshall-Green ("The O.C.") and Matthew Bomer ("Tru Calling") as Tyler Fog and Jay Burchell, grad-school roommates who, on a trip to New York, decide to play a prank and roller-blade through an art museum. Upon their exit, they receive a call from their buddy Will Traveler (Aaron Stanford, "X-Men: The Last Stand") who says, "Sorry -- I had to do this," just before the museum blows up.

Branded as domestic terrorists after security footage catches them in their prank, Tyler and Jay go on the run, simultaneously trying to clear their names and figure out why someone they believed to be a friend would set them up.

The scheduling of the "Traveler" preview and a couple other ABC moves also signals that "Men in Trees," which previously occupied the post-"Grey's" spot on Thursdays, won't be back before the 2006-07 season ends next month. The show has received a pickup for next season, however, so it's likely that the five unaired episodes will carry over to the fall.

ABC is airing a two-hour "Grey's Anatomy" on May 3. A "Lost" clip show will fill the spot on May 17 -- the final Thursday of sweeps -- and re-air prior to the "Lost" finale on Wednesday, May 23.

"Traveler" also stars Steven Culp ("Desperate Housewives"), Viola Davis ("Century City"), Anthony Ruvivar ("Third Watch") and William Sadler ("Wonderfalls"). David DiGilio ("Eight Below") wrote the pilot, which was directed by David Nutter ("Smallville," "Band of Brothers").
Old 04-20-07, 08:24 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good news! I watched the pilot way back in like August, and really liked it.
Old 04-20-07, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Sounds like season 2 of Prison Break.
Old 04-21-07, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I might give it a shot due to Steven Culp
Old 04-21-07, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I honestly thought we would never see this... especially with OCTOBER ROAD (which was ordered to series in February not last May) getting on the air sooner.
Old 05-04-07, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
I saw adds for this last night on Grey's totally surprised me!! I'm really looking forward to this. Hopefully they'll get a comittment for a 2-3 years even if that only means a "mini-series". Less risk and it pays off for the fans.

However, something tells me this won't see the light of day come fall 07.
Old 05-04-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I recall seeing the pilot quite a while ago (it may have been August, as was the case with aktick), and was pleasantly surprised.

My biggest gripe is more of a generalized rant with most serials today: convoluted twists and things of that nature being strung out over the course of many seasons. However, if the "mini-series" statement of only 8 episodes is indeed true, then it could work well.

[Side note: It has William Sadler in it, so that should be more than enough reason for anyone to watch it...]
Old 05-04-07, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On the off-chance a pilot shot nearly a year ago actually becomes something of a hit, I wonder what the possibility is of continuing? Hasn't the cast already moved on?

I saw it last August as well and can't wait to watch again in HD.
Old 05-04-07, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the bump. Saw an ad for this during Lost and totally forgot about it. Now I have something to watch on HD at 10 on Thursdays!
Old 05-04-07, 01:34 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Now I have something to watch on HD at 10 on Thursdays!
Other than it looking interesting, that is the what I like most about it. Lost is the only show I watch at that time all week. I wish more good shows were on then, so I didn't have so many damned conflicts at other times.
Old 05-04-07, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I was interested until I saw the preview and it had a 90210 and The OC-style cheesy pop song playing during the whole thing and I decided it probably is geared toward teens and therefore not for me.
Old 05-04-07, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Although the trailer has me interested in catching this series, I think I'll just DVR all 8 episodes or just wait for the DVD set.

I would hate to become invested in this series...only to watch it be prematurely cancelled after 2-3 episodes.
Old 05-04-07, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk God

I really don't think you all have anything to worry about. ABC is essentially burning off these episodes this summer. They ordered too many shows this season and this fell victim to that. I'm pretty sure this is 8 episodes and done deal.
Old 05-07-07, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
I really don't think you all have anything to worry about. ABC is essentially burning off these episodes this summer. They ordered too many shows this season and this fell victim to that. I'm pretty sure this is 8 episodes and done deal.
that's too bad. i saw the previews and thought it looked pretty good too.
Old 05-08-07, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

FYI: After the "preview" on Wednesday (which is what ABC is calling it), there will be about a month before the next new episode. The "series premiere" (again, ABC's terminology, even though it's not the first airing) is on 5/31 (which is a repeat of the episode airing this week). Then, the 2nd episode will air the following - almost a month after the pilot.

How does that scheduling make sense? Make people wait a month to see a new show's second episode? Makes no sense to me.
Old 05-10-07, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

bump for tonight's preview episode after grey's.
Old 05-10-07, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Scott27
FYI: After the "preview" on Wednesday (which is what ABC is calling it), there will be about a month before the next new episode. The "series premiere" (again, ABC's terminology, even though it's not the first airing) is on 5/31 (which is a repeat of the episode airing this week). Then, the 2nd episode will air the following - almost a month after the pilot.

How does that scheduling make sense? Make people wait a month to see a new show's second episode? Makes no sense to me.
It makes a certain amount of sense if you consider that ABC is trying to keep this show from becoming a hit and embarrasing them. They're burning the show off, and they don't want some Baby Bob-like response to make things uncomfortable for them.
Old 05-10-07, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I kind of liked it. the wife didn't - she bailed w/ about twenty minutes left.
Old 05-11-07, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was interested until I saw the preview and it had a 90210 and The OC-style cheesy pop song playing during the whole thing and I decided it probably is geared toward teens and therefore not for me.
That was what i thought to & I didn't even bother watching because Without a trace & ER were recording while i was getting ready for work (work nights, 11pm-7am). Abc really needs to learn how to promote there shows better.
Old 05-11-07, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Scott27
A month? I thought last night they said the next episode was on 5/31. That's two weeks.

Okay show - not totally rocking but certainly interesting. I hope it DOES end after 8 episodes and does well. More shows should just have a defined ending point and actually end!
Old 05-11-07, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
A month? I thought last night they said the next episode was on 5/31. That's two weeks.
Three weeks, actually.

Unless they've changed it, they're repeating last night's episode on the 31st. The next new episode wouldn't be until a week after that - a month from now. My power went out last night so this didn't record, so I wasn't able to see the show or the promo I assume you're talking about.

Last edited by Scott27; 05-11-07 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-11-07, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
That's a great way to build an audience. Wait 3 or 4 weeks between the 1st and 2nd episode.
Old 05-11-07, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
That's a great way to build an audience. Wait 3 or 4 weeks between the 1st and 2nd episode.
You're preaching to the choir. That's exactly the point I made the other day, in post 15. It seems like ABC wants the show to fail.

Last edited by Scott27; 05-11-07 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-11-07, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk God

I read that the Prez of ABC essentially blew off promoting the show during some TV critics tour last year before the new fall season. Huh?

If the show fails, it's his own damn fault for spending the money and buying it in the 1st place and not promoting it.
Old 05-11-07, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There isn't an if here as I understand it, folks. The show will fail if you define failure as it ending at or before the airing of the completed episodes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.