NBC cancels 'Andy Barker, PI' [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-07, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
Originally Posted by hal9000
Andy with Conan= FUNNY
No Andy with Conan= no funny
Are you saying Conan isn't funny without Andy or are you saying Andy isn't funny without Conan?

To be honest, except for "The Year 2000" segment in which Conan needed someone to play off of, I haven't missed Andy one bit on Late Night with Conan O'Brien

I have yet to watch one of Andy's sitcoms, they just don't seem all that funny. He seems like a nice person in real life and I hope he eventually finds some sort of ensemble piece to fit into but as the 'star' he just doesn't work.

Just out of curiosity, why would NBC reuse a premise that died a notorious death when Michael Richards tried it?

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 04-11-07 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-11-07, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guy Halverson does not approve

I agree though, the only really memorable bit was him running and all the flashbacks to it.

Last edited by Cardiff Giant11; 04-11-07 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-11-07, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Are you saying Conan isn't funny without Andy or are you saying Andy isn't funny without Conan?

To be honest, except for "The Year 2000" segment in which Conan needed someone to play off of, I haven't missed Andy one bit on Late Night with Conan O'Brien

I have yet to watch one of Andy's sitcoms, they just don't seem all that funny. He seems like a nice person in real life and I hope he eventually finds some sort of ensemble piece to fit into but as the 'star' he just doesn't work.

Just out of curiosity, why would NBC reuse a premise that died a notorious death when Michael Richards tried it?

Have you watched consistently? Andy was a great comedic foil. Now Max has become that. But, there were some classic moments. The Staring Contests alone were some of the best material ever.
Old 04-11-07, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
Have you watched consistently? Andy was a great comedic foil. Now Max has become that. But, there were some classic moments. The Staring Contests alone were some of the best material ever.
Yeah I have watched fairly consistenty. I'm not saying Andy brought the show down in any way (Andy's version of Boys II Men's video is one of the shows all time highlights). If I had it my way he never would have left in the first place. All I'm saying is it seems that Conan hasn't really missed a beat since Andy's departure, IMO he's just as funny now as he was before.
Old 04-11-07, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah I have watched fairly consistenty. I'm not saying Andy brought the show down in any way (Andy's version of Boys II Men's video is one of the shows all time highlights). If I had it my way he never would have left in the first place. All I'm saying is it seems that Conan hasn't really missed a beat since Andy's departure, IMO he's just as funny now as he was before.
Of course. But that's only b/c Conan was already funny back then anyway. I'd wish he never left, but Andy's a funny guy. ARCTU was the showcase of that.
Old 04-11-07, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Even though I liked the style of the show, the "plot" part of it always felt forced and very clumsy. The characters wre starting to grow on me, but I always felt like the episode was running out of time before the funny got fully up to speed.
Old 04-12-07, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
personally being a viewer since pretty much the beggininng of Conan i think that he & Max have just abit better chemistry together than Andy did. when Max gives that faceless stare it crack's me up every time.
I still wish Andy was there but i think it proved that Conan could hold his own which Andy has been having trouble with, hes just not a lead sad to say.
Old 04-12-07, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By by Andy, your show was garbage.
Old 04-12-07, 01:14 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Andy isn't funny without Conan. Conan RULES! I thought I was gonna miss Andy when he left (which I did at first), but Conan has become even funnier IMO without Andy. Andy leaving Conan ranks in the top 5 of the stupidest career moves in the history of television. I can understand Andy wanting to be "The Man" but some people are just better off being the "side kick" to the man. So Andy took his shot and failed. Unfortunately I think Andy received some terrible advice along the way, either from his Agent or some studio exec... For the 10% he pays his agent I could have given him better advice and for half the price, but it's too late he can't go back now. Now he can only try and fail repeatedly.

Because it's the only thing they know how to do...
Old 04-12-07, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by hal9000
Andy isn't funny without Conan. Conan RULES! I thought I was gonna miss Andy when he left (which I did at first), but Conan has become even funnier IMO without Andy. Andy leaving Conan ranks in the top 5 of the stupidest career moves in the history of television. I can understand Andy wanting to be "The Man" but some people are just better off being the "side kick" to the man. So Andy took his shot and failed. Unfortunately I think Andy received some terrible advice along the way, either from his Agent or some studio exec... For the 10% he pays his agent I could have given him better advice and for half the price, but it's too late he can't go back now. Now he can only try and fail repeatedly.

Because it's the only thing they know how to do...
I don't really see how that can be considered stupid. He wanted to act, and branched out. He's had two moderately successful TV shows (ARCTU and Quintuplets) as both made 2 seasons. He's been in movies and done tons of guest spots on other TV shows. He's probably made 10x the money he did doing that, than what he was making on Conan's show.